PDA

View Full Version : [4E] New Monster: Gixie

Jogi
2009-04-22, 07:36 PM
Alright folks, this is a monster I developed a long time ago. It was first meant to D&D 3.5, but I needed something different for my campaign so I dug this thing up from my files and reshaped it to 4th edition.

If possible I'd like some feedback, to see if the monster is balanced.

PS.: If possible I'd like to keep it around lv 2.

Gixie ("geek-xy")

Gixies are natural to the Feywild, descendants of feys that were twisted by the evil gods magic. They are similar to halflings in height, but most of them are skinny. Their skin is dark blue, and their hair ranges from red to pale white. One of their most significant characteristics is their butterfly-shaped transparent wings.

The Gixie form tribes as Goblins and other mundane races do, and they also tend to barbarism. Since they are carnivores, they sometimes feed from their preys.

Guixie Lv 2 Skirmisher
Small humanoid 175 XP

Initiaive +3 Senses: Percetion +3, darkvision
HP: 35; Bloodied: 17
AC: 16; Fortitude 12, Reflex 15, Will 14
Immune blindness
Speed 4, fly 8

Claws/Bite (standard; at-will)
+7 vs. AC; 1d6+2 damage.

Blinding Wings (immediate interrupt, whenever any source of light as strong as a torch is within 4 squares from the Gixie and directly illuminating his wings; encounter) * Gaze
Close Burst 6
+5 vs. Fortitude; the Guixie wings shine with a blinding light. Target is blinded (save ends).

Alignment: Evil Languages: Elven, Guixie
Skills: Stealth +9
Str 10 (+0) Dex 16 (+3) Wis 14 (+2)
Con 11 (+0) Int 9 (-1) Cha 10 (+0)

Jogi
2009-04-23, 10:13 PM
Bumping for suggestions :smallsmile:

Jogi
2009-04-26, 12:15 AM
Cmon guys PEACH :D

Meek
2009-04-26, 12:31 AM
There's really not a lot to comment on. It can barely scratch anything, it has a really weird trigger condition on a powerful ability nigh-certain to blind half the party, and it's not particularly imaginative in any other aspect.

Really, I can't say much more than "it works" because that's all it does. Pair it with a couple of things that can do more than slap PCs with wet socks and the blinding power, once it goes off, is sure to render them particularly challenged for a good tick. But after that, it's basically a minion with more hp.

I would suggest giving it negative con or making it a lurker so as to reduce its hit points, because having to go through 35 hit points of inoffensive fey would be a bit annoying (this thing pretty much ceases to be a threat after it pops its blinding power for the encounter.)

Jogi
2009-04-26, 11:15 AM
There's really not a lot to comment on. It can barely scratch anything, it has a really weird trigger condition on a powerful ability nigh-certain to blind half the party, and it's not particularly imaginative in any other aspect.

Really, I can't say much more than "it works" because that's all it does. Pair it with a couple of things that can do more than slap PCs with wet socks and the blinding power, once it goes off, is sure to render them particularly challenged for a good tick. But after that, it's basically a minion with more hp.

I would suggest giving it negative con or making it a lurker so as to reduce its hit points, because having to go through 35 hit points of inoffensive fey would be a bit annoying (this thing pretty much ceases to be a threat after it pops its blinding power for the encounter.)

Hmm, you're probably right. I was thinking about it. Maybe I should lower their HP a little bit and then give them a bleeding attack - something like 3 HP per round. Also, their fly hability should make it harder for some PC's to hit them, shouldn't it? (which is why I didn't add more, I thought maybe it could get too powerfull for a lv 2 monster.
But thanks for the feedback :)

Meek
2009-04-26, 11:38 AM
The Flight would make it somewhat harder to hit, but its attacks are melee range, so it has to come down sometime. PCs who can't otherwise hit it (mlee guys) would note this and just ready actions.

Looking at the monster manual, there are some level 2 critters that fly. Guard Drake and Needlefang Drake Swarm. You also have Stirge at level 1 and Spiretop Drake. None of these things can blind, but the blinding power you gave the Gix is very conditional and only once per encounter. I think giving it some kind of movement based ability would make it more of a skirmisher, and therefore more of a threat. If you don't want it to have much of a role beyond blinding people, I would make it a lurker – sneak up on somebody, blind them all, run away.

Asbestos
2009-04-26, 01:16 PM
The Flight would make it somewhat harder to hit, but its attacks are melee range, so it has to come down sometime. PCs who can't otherwise hit it (mlee guys) would note this and just ready actions.

Looking at the monster manual, there are some level 2 critters that fly. Guard Drake and Needlefang Drake Swarm. You also have Stirge at level 1 and Spiretop Drake. None of these things can blind, but the blinding power you gave the Gix is very conditional and only once per encounter. I think giving it some kind of movement based ability would make it more of a skirmisher, and therefore more of a threat. If you don't want it to have much of a role beyond blinding people, I would make it a lurker – sneak up on somebody, blind them all, run away.

The spiretop drake is the only flying drake.

Possibly give it a bonus to damage against foes it has CA against (which the PCs would grant if they were blinded)

Meek
2009-04-26, 03:16 PM
I must have gotten confused. You're correct.

Jogi
2009-04-26, 10:16 PM
Hmmm, you got a point.
What if I give him a skill that makes him able to move before and after the attack? This way he wouldn't have to stay on ground until his next turn.

About CA additional damage: sounds good. Still I'd rather have them look like carnivore hunters that bite his preys. I was thinking more of giving him an Bite Attack that triggers another hability, and this other hability is someting like +4 vs. Fortitude that wounds the PC for 3 HP/round.

This monster is mainly not a huge damage dealer, it is supposed to attack in groups of 3-5, blinding their enemies for sometime and focusing on a single target while attacking. I didn't want to give them a ranged attack because this would probably negate the need of coming close and most times the blinding effect would not be triggered.

Thanks for the tips people :smallsmile:

Jogi
2009-04-27, 11:36 PM
So, here's the new version:

Gixie ("geek-xy")

Gixies are natural to the Feywild, descendants of feys that were twisted by the evil gods magic. They are similar to halflings in height, but most of them are skinny. Their skin is dark blue, and their hair ranges from red to pale white. One of their most significant characteristics is their butterfly-shaped transparent wings.

The Gixie form tribes as Goblins and other mundane races do, and they, as well, tend to barbarism. It is known that they feed from enemies corpses,
even if they are still alive.

Combat Tatics: Gixies usually attack in groups. They will try to blind their foes before moving any closer and, if they succeed, they will band up on the weakest-looking target, using their bites and claws to take him down quickly. They will fly away from enemies who are not blinded.

Guixie Lv 2 Lurker
Small humanoid 125 XP

Initiaive +4 Senses: Percetion +3, darkvision
HP: 26; Bloodied: 13
AC: 16; Fortitude 12, Reflex 15, Will 14
Immune blindness
Speed 4, fly 8

Claws (standard; at-will)
+7 vs. AC; 1d6+3 damage.

Ravenous Bite (full turn [move and standard]; at-will)
+5 vs. Fortitude; 1d6 damage and the target is bleeding for 3 HP per round (save ends, does not stack).

Flying Assault
The Gixie can move before or after attacks. He can also split up his movement so he can move before and after his attacks.

Blinding Wings (immediate interrupt, whenever any source of light as strong as a torch is within 4 squares from the Gixie and directly illuminating his wings; encounter) * Gaze D6 [reloads]
Close Burst 6
+5 vs. Fortitude; the Guixie wings shine with a blinding light. Target is blinded (save ends).

Alignment: Evil Languages: Elven, Guixie
Skills: Stealth +9
Str 10 (+0) Dex 16 (+3) Wis 14 (+2)
Con 8 (-1) Int 11 (+0) Cha 10 (+0)

Jogi
2009-05-01, 09:38 AM
*bump*:smallcool: