PDA

View Full Version : the classics (all dnd)

Froogleyboy
2009-04-22, 09:17 PM
dose anyone here still do the classic adventures? I do! I don't mean classic PRINTED adventures from the 80s i mean things like:
*The rightful air to the throne was murderd and the Pc's have to find out who did it.
or
*A giant dragon is terrorising a small town and is making the town pay tribute to it and the PCs have to slay it

just things that actual legends have been written about?

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-04-22, 09:21 PM
Actually, I'd prefer to get truly classic:

--A princess is captured by a visiting prince and taken across the sea. Put together an army, and, with the help of a few gods, destroy the offending city.

--Coming home from said voyage, get lost at sea, visit a bunch of islands full of monsters and angry goddesses, take several years to get home, and fight off a bunch of angry suitors who have been hitting on your wife while you're away.

chiasaur11
2009-04-22, 09:35 PM
Actually, I'd prefer to get truly classic:

--A princess is captured by a visiting prince and taken across the sea. Put together an army, and, with the help of a few gods, destroy the offending city.

--Coming home from said voyage, get lost at sea, visit a bunch of islands full of monsters and angry goddesses, take several years to get home, and fight off a bunch of angry suitors who have been hitting on your wife while you're away.

--Steal the secret of immortality from the gods after your best friend dies!

--Get hired to kick a monster's ass, then kick it's mum's ass, then have a fight to the death with a dragon!

afroakuma
2009-04-22, 10:25 PM
--Obtain weapon from geological feature, whether petrous or hydrous, then acquire speedy, untrained promotion as a direct result.

--Hero. Princess. Tower. Dragon. Wizard. Fin.

The_JJ
2009-04-22, 11:00 PM
I've had fun playing with 'evil dragon terrorizes town' and 'OMG undead are attacking the village! Help us last for x days and or go kill the lich/artifact o' doom.'

chiasaur11
2009-04-22, 11:24 PM
--Go one on one with an opposing army's champion, then flee the kingdom when the king fears you'll lead to a popular rebellion.

-- Do amazing feats for a jerk relative to atone for an ultimate misdeed!

Oracle_Hunter
2009-04-22, 11:32 PM
- Treasure map... TO ADVENTURE!

- Hey, did you hear the one about the Magic Fountain in the Ancient Ruins? It gives power and mysterious visions!

Harperfan7
2009-04-22, 11:45 PM
I've been playing for seven years. I have never rescued a princess, stopped an evil overlord, never helped a rebellion, etc. I've killed over 9000 bandits and orcs, and saved a village or two, but that's it.

Do you have any idea how badly I want to get my hands on early 3.0 dungeon magazines?

Do you?

DO YOU?!?!

My shorts are turning purple.

TheCountAlucard
2009-04-23, 12:05 AM
Do amazing feats for a jerk relative to atone for an ultimate misdeed!

Or, y'know, do amazing feats for a jerk because Hera pulled a fast one on your dad! :smallbiggrin:

Waspinator
2009-04-23, 12:21 AM
--Quest forth for thine 7 scattered pieces of the talisman of power; the only weakness of thy dreaded black wizard!

The problem is the wizard will inevitably steal them right after you get the last one. Then you have to beat him up anyway while he has both his normal powers plus whatever the talisman does.

Oracle_Hunter
2009-04-23, 12:37 AM
Oh, of course. It's only natural. But the fight gets so much more epic when he taps into the talisman's true power (after having kicked his bony rump the first time, of course). Only then will he envoke the ancient arcane magics to turn him into a monstrous beast of chaos.
And don't forget - all BBEGs are vulnerable to The Power of Friendship :smallbiggrin:

chiasaur11
2009-04-23, 12:46 AM
Oh, of course. It's only natural. But the fight gets so much more epic when he taps into the talisman's true power (after having kicked his bony rump the first time, of course). Only then will he envoke the ancient arcane magics to turn him into a monstrous beast of chaos.

Then he, of course, turns into a snake, and is killed remarkably easily.

Waspinator
2009-04-23, 02:06 AM
While not being directly D&D related, a lot of these apply:
http://project-apollo.net/text/rpg.html

"All legends are 100% accurate. All rumors are entirely factual. All prophecies will come true, and not just someday but almost immediately."

"At some point, you're going to have to talk to a tree and do what it says. "

"Any fighting tournament or contest of skill you hear about, you will eventually be forced to enter and win."

"Any ancient civilizations are inexplicably much more advanced than the current one."

"Nothing is ever solved by diplomacy or politics in the world of RPGs. Any declarations of peace, summits and treaty negotiations are traps to fool the ever so gullible Good Guys into thinking the war is over, or to brainwash the remaining leaders of the world."

"Kingdoms are good. Empires are evil."

"An RPG character can fall any distance onto anything without suffering anything worse than brief unconsciousness. In fact, falling a huge distance is an excellent cure for otherwise fatal wounds -- anyone who you see shot, stabbed, or mangled and then tossed off a cliff is guaranteed to return later in the game with barely a scratch."

"Watch out for generous priests, loyal military officers, and basically anyone in a position of authority who agrees to help you out, especially if they save your life and prove their sincerity innumerable times -- they're usually plotting your demise in secret (at least when they can fit it into their busy schedule of betraying their country, sponsoring international terrorism, and stealing candy from small children) and will stab you in the back at the most inconvenient moment."

"If the villain needs all ten legendary medallions to attain world domination and you have nine of them, everybody in your party still thinks it is neccessary to bring the nine to the villain's castle and get the final one, instead of hiding the ones they've already got and spoiling his plans that way. After you foolishly bring the legendary medallions to the villain's hideout, he will kidnap one of your companions (usually the main love interest) and you will trade the world away to rescue your friend."

"After you give up the medallions to save your friend/parent/lover/other miscellaneous party member, don't expect to actually get that person back. Sucker!"

"All space stations, flying cities, floating continents and so forth will without exception either be blown up or crash violently to earth before the end of the game."

"A "free stay at the inn" is never really free. Expect to be woken up in the middle of the night for a mandatory plot event."

"Every problem in the universe can be solved by finding the right long-haired prettyboy and beating the crap out of him."

mikej
2009-04-23, 02:23 AM
While not being directly D&D related, a lot of these apply:
http://project-apollo.net/text/rpg.html

+1

I love this, I try to add some of it in every game. For bringing up something soo awesome, you get this gift.

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/6261/22687239211291aeda97o.jpg

Pronounceable
2009-04-23, 02:45 AM
--Goblins kidnapped the mayor's daughter! Go get em!

--Upon returning triumphant, it's revealed that orcs have kidnapped the mayor's wife meanwhile! Go get er!

--Once again a successful rescue is ruined by the news of trolls having kidnapped the mayor! Go get im!

--Alas even as the last kidnapee is rescued, the town is under attack by a dragon! Save em!

bosssmiley
2009-04-23, 10:53 AM
"Thar's gold (and orcs with pie) in them thar hills!"

And I'm currently setting up for a mega-dungeon campaign using Labyrinth Lord. It is anticipated that PCs will die like flies. But that's ok: char gen takes 10 minutes, tops.
So, what was the question?

@waspinator: Tough Guide to Fantasyland already did it old son. :smallwink:

Roderick_BR
2009-04-23, 02:42 PM
Old guy at tavern telling tales of great adventures and treasures.
In all my group's games, the old guy is the first thing we look for, before the DM finally sets up the actual storyline. Always in a tavern.

Athaniar
2009-04-23, 03:10 PM
--Obtain weapon from geological feature, whether petrous or hydrous, then acquire speedy, untrained promotion as a direct result.

Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Another_Poet
2009-04-23, 03:36 PM
--Steal the secret of immortality from the gods after your best friend dies!

In all fairness to the gods, he didn't steal it. It was a combination of begging, pleading, failing a test of worthiness, and begging some more.

Ranks in Diplomacy maybe? Hmm....

dspeyer
2009-04-24, 12:42 AM
--Goblins kidnapped the mayor's daughter! Go get em!

--Upon returning triumphant, it's revealed that orcs have kidnapped the mayor's wife meanwhile! Go get er!

--Once again a successful rescue is ruined by the news of trolls having kidnapped the mayor! Go get im!

Thank you PCs! But our princess is in another monstrous race's stronghold.

sonofzeal
2009-04-24, 12:55 AM
-- Beat a few random pastoral encounters, then clobber a giant solo and instantly level up a bunch

-- Get around 10,000 (attributed) personal kills as a party member

-- Become more popular than local royalty

-- Bang local royalty's daughter (and possibly son, too)

-- Avoid repeated assassination attempts by local royalty

-- Outlive local royalty and inherit their thrown through divine intervention

-- Become the greatest local royalty the locals will ever know

....all that from a Bard!

Jimbob
2009-04-24, 06:33 AM
you start in a Inn......... (need I say any more)

lesser_minion
2009-04-24, 09:02 AM
One I probably use way too much:

- ZOMG! An ancient evil is rising to consume the world in a terrifying orgy of destruction. Journey all over the place taking as long as you want to find the mysterious clues that will unlock the key to this big bad.

Roderick_BR
2009-04-24, 09:10 AM
One I probably use way too much:

- ZOMG! An ancient evil is rising to consume the world in a terrifying orgy of destruction. Journey all over the place taking as long as you want to find the mysterious clues that will unlock the key to this big bad.
I have a friend that does that ALL the freaking time. Especially if we are playing Forgotten Realms.
Yeah, put the fate of the world into the hands of a bunch of 1st level characters, and just parade Elminster for a few minutes before pulling him out of the game.

lesser_minion
2009-04-24, 09:32 AM
I tend to avoid explicitly spelling it out in the first adventure though. I like players to feel that them having to do all of the dirty work is at least somewhat justified. I only have a few players, so I tend to have to include

(I have had DMs raise all the people in a village with a population of seven and three sheep to level 5 fighters just so we didn't try anything. Admittedly, it was a light-hearted campaign, and there were some pretty humorous reasons why the farmer didn't rescue his sheep from the Cave of Fool's Gold.)

Dogmantra
2009-04-24, 09:56 AM
I'm going to have a princess captured by a rival king, and taken back to the castle. The characters will fight their way through the castle and get to the throne room, defeating the evil king. Then the lovable mascot character will pop up and say "Thanks, but our princess is in another castle." and then I'll do it again... 8 more times :smalltongue:

Actually, I might do a captured princess one for real, but probably only once.

chiasaur11
2009-04-24, 10:45 AM
Be raised endlessly from death on a mission to find out why you have been cursed with immortality!

Fight your fellow godspawn to claim the legacy of the god of murder!

An Orc has a pie, and you're hungry!