PDA

View Full Version : Under The Winter's Moon IC

AetherFox
2009-04-22, 09:57 PM
Under the Winter's Moon
Part 1

A light orange sun pokes its way above the mountaintops surrounding Hawkshaven on a relatively warm winter morning. What few animals haven't hibernated or migrated awaken to find that the town has been wide awake for some time. Indeed, in the center of town lies a mob of what appears to be the entirety of the small town. The people in the crowd hold a mixture of emotions, anywhere from sad to scared, and even angry. By now almost everyone has heard of the mystery of the boy, James, blowing away into the wind, but not a soul can figure out a reasonable solution. Numerous cries can be hear above others. "It's dryads in the forrest I tell you! There angry for our using the woods as lumber!"
"Don't be rediculous! No one's ever even heard of dryads in there..."

Suddenly a man breaks free from the mob and stands on a crate, establishing himself as a leader.
"People," he shouts, and some of the more hysteric ones begin to calm, "people please! This is no time for panic and confusion! What happened to James was a tragedy, but he wasn't alone in his hunting party!" By now, the majority of the crowd has stoped talking and turned to the man. "Whatever happened in to him could be happening to the others right now. What we need is to stop speculating, and act! The others are in danger, and we need to send in a searchparty after them! Every second matters! Do we have any volunteers to help?"

Pink
2009-04-22, 10:38 PM
Philleas Fogg

Philleas Fogg smiled to himself as he walked into the town, gently puffing the pipe in his mouth. It really was true that he had spent too much time in the old University, reading books in musty libraries. He was really starting to enjoy his time as a traveller and self-styled adventurer. It let him to stretch his legs, walk to these little towns and villages and enjoy their own small cultures, amazing them with his learning and magic often enough to get a good place to stay and good food to eat, and on occasion enjoying a bit of peril. Of course not too much peril. At least, not for free and if he could help it.

So it came to pass that the wizard Philleas Fogg came to Hawkshaven, walking from the snow covered road into town wearing little more than loose pants, a shirt and a long untied robe that seems to hang over his form, all of them well worn and patched. Yet he seems completely at ease wearing such thin clothes in the low temperature. His greasy unwashed hair hung past his shoulders as he strolled in with a long stride, and his face was covered in a growth of stubble that approached being called a beard.

However as he started heading further into the village he had to ask himself, where was everyone? Giving a quick elbow to his backpack, a brown rat quickly peeked it's head out than climbed onto Philleas' Shoulder, and both of them looked as the mage continued to walk forward, until a squeek from the rat directed Philleas towards the mob in the town centre.

As Philleas approached the mob, listening in, the body odor of someone who hasn't bathed for quite some time becomes apparent in the crisp winter air to those nearby. Turning to one such townsperson close at hand, Philleas asks, "Say, I'm just passing through and all, couldn't help but notice this little get together you're all having. What's happened to this James fellow that might happen to the rest of his party eh?"

OOC: Just making a slight change to his spells since Phil's entering on, switching out silent image to endure elements and having it cast on him

Vexxation
2009-04-22, 11:12 PM
Careo Novo

Careo was horrified when he heard what had happened. He didn't so much grieve for James- it wasn't dislike; they simply weren't close- as fear whatever it was that had done that to him. That sort of thing simply didn't happen in Hawkshaven, or, to Careo's knowledge, anywhere else.

Blowing away in the wind... it sounded rather like powerful Arcana. Careo's curiosity was piqued, and he had been unable to think of anything else. Even the cold didn't bother him, which was odd, given his slight figure and poor conditioning.

The town was alive and abuzz. Careo gathered with the others in the center of town to discuss what had transpired. The thought of powerful, dark magic both scared and interested Careo. He had to know what was going on. He overheard talk of a search party.

"Hm..." Careo whispered, under his breath, "Maybe that's a way to sort this mess out." He would join the search party, and solve this mystery. If the others could be saved, that would be a bonus.

He stepped forward, and began to listen intently to search plans.

obtusehobbit
2009-04-23, 07:36 AM
Theron Mythseeker

Theron has been in town a couple weeks now. He has been doing research for his book, by collecting local legends. He is always pleased with the wealth of lore found in small villages near a large wooded area. Though he has remained quiet through out the resent incident with James, he has been taking notes about what is happening in his travel journal. He hopes that this incident will be good for his eventual autobiography. He also is as interested as the rest of the town to determine what caused the boy to disappear.

He is currently outside observing the large crowd, and peoples reaction to the speaker. He can be found moving around the outskirts of the crowd diligently writing in his journal as he listens to the man on the crate.

Gamgee
2009-04-23, 12:10 PM
Kurshi
It was midnight as he walked through the snow with his heavy gear, he had been going slower than he had expected. He might have to make camp for one more night before he got to this little way station of a town called Hawkshaven. It was slow work coming to this town, and more so with all of the gear he was carrying. However after a few minutes walk he got to the top of the mountain pass and looked down to see the sleepy little village down below. Looking up he seen clear black skies and knew it would be a good day tomorrow. Kurshi decided he would just get this walk over with, and so with that he began to walk down the mountain with his overladen backpack.

After a few hours of walking Kushi steps into the outskirts of the town to find it oddly... loud. The sun was just starting to peek at the small valley town, and for such a ruckus to be happening in the middle of town this early it couldn't be good. He kept on walking for a few more minutes before he finally got to the center of town and seen pretty much the entire town discussing something.

OOC: For the record I am an elf with a fairly big backpack full of survival gear and you can see two rolls of some type of cloth attached to the bottom of the backpack horizontally (bedroll and tent furled up nice and tight), I have thick winter clothing on, a breastplate and greaves over the clothing, and winter coat and cloak on top of that. I also have two immense great swords one is clearly of Elven design and looks elegant and has a sheen to it, and the other is more of a typical human design and whats more is that you can tell it is silver. So I look much bigger than normal at the moment, and I look completely usual for an elf without all the big warming items on.

pyrefiend
2009-04-23, 02:28 PM
Drake Dazarut

Drake awoke early that morning, as usual, to patrol the town and preach his message. He'd been in town two weeks and was beginning to accept the fruitlessness of his efforts there. The town was too small for there to be much crime, and without anything to fight against, Drake couldn't provide an example for the people. He'd resorted to handing out pamphlets, which he considered rather pathetic. Only a few of the townsfolk had actually taken them, and of those few Drake doubted any had read the entire thing. Such a shame.

Drake was planning on leaving for some larger city when he'd caught wind of the boy who'd died mysteriously. He knew he should be upset, but he couldn't help but be somewhat excited at the thought of this new opportunity. If he could fight off whatever threatened the town, then the people would admire him, be in his debt, and then they might listen. He'd been with the crowd all day, quietly waiting to see which way the discussion might turn. When one man asked for volunteerism to find the other missing citizens, Drake's heart rose.

"I volunteer myself," he said. "I believe I can return the others safely, and quickly. Time is indeed of the essence."

Faulty
2009-04-23, 03:14 PM
Alcest Delmonde

Alcest had made it into the small town of Hawkshaven the night before, his horsing bringing him to the edge of the town after dark. Even with his winter wear on, the night was bitingly cold. Alcest didn't mind, welcoming it as another challenge with which to strengthen himself. Still, he hardly minded the opportunity to wash he got at the inn. He paid for the best room he could get and after a quick watch went to sleep. He awoke early the next morning, again washing and grooming himself and practicing his combat maneuvers with rapier in hand. Satisfied, he decided to step out and explore the town for a moment, being unused to such small communities.

Alcest came upon the crowd that had accumulated in the city center and looked on curiously as members of the crowd prattled on. After a bit of observation he and inquiry to a pair of nearby townsfolk, he pieced together what had occured. At that point, a man had taken control of the group and calmed them down, before asking for volunteers to help find the hunting party. Alcest smiled, this was the perfect chance to practice his skills, he had gotten no such chance since leaving the monestary. A bit of conflict would be the perfect test of mettle and he was eager to get started on his quest to explore the nature of strength. Suddenly, he heard a voice rise above the crowd, and turned his head to see a grey clad man offer his assisstance. Help was never a bad thing to have.

"I, too, offer my help!"

AetherFox
2009-04-24, 06:36 PM
The man looks very relieved as the tree volunteer themselves, as if he were afraid no one would. The entire crowd is focused on them, listening quietly for what will happen next. The man nodds towards the volunteers and says to the crowd, "There were four who went inot the forrest, so it would be safest to send in a few more. Are there any others...?" Many of the people try to shuffle back, or otherwise make themselves as unnoticed as possible.

Meanwhile, the man next to Philleas whispers back to him. "Youmean you didn't hear? A kid came out of the woods all bloddy and mauled last night, but his group didn't come out with him. Some say that forrest's been cursed, which is wierd. We've never had a problem with it in the past."

Pink
2009-04-24, 07:56 PM
Philleas Fogg

"Really? That does sound troubling but..cursed forest you say? Hmm, interesting. And no doubt if one were to retrieve the rest of these lost boys and break this curse they'd have the town's, nay, the area's appreciation would they not."
At this point it's kinda obvious that Philleas is mostly talking to himself as one hand idly pets the rat on his shoulder. This fact is made all the more obvious as Philleas moves closer toward the centre of the crowd without even waiting for an answer from the townsperson and looks over those already volunteered. Seemed to be two fairly honest types that looked like they could handle a weapon. Honest types Philleas could work with, yes, no doubt more then willing to do most of the searching and like work themselves, willing to risk very life and limb to take down any ferocious beasts. Of course no doubt grateful to have a wizard along in case any magical trouble actually existed, though Philleas doubted that greatly. Probably just some wild boar or other animal, and when the two fighters took it down Philleas could share in the glory and potential reward, surely there had to be some patron of wealth out here who'd be grateful for the efforts. And if worse came to worse, well he could just pop invisible and bugger off right?
His mind clicking these thoughts through faster than a rock dropping to the ground, he approached the centre of the crowd and with what he hoped was a dramatic voice announced, "I, Philleas Fogg, graduate wizard of the University of Illustrious Illusions and other magicks, volunteer my services in locating and freeing these youths from the cursed grip of the forest."

Vexxation
2009-04-24, 08:19 PM
Careo Novo

Careo's thoughts focused. His ears perked up, and his attention was given fully. He'd heard the "magic" word: "wizard."

Oh, yes. This was going to be well worth the effort. Where there's wizards, there's magical knowledge to be learned. It seemed fun times were ahead. Perhaps this wizard would be willing to give pointers. As long as he's not an Elf, Careo thought to himself. So stuck up and self-centered.

Careo's excitement was noticeable. His hair was a shining blond, very unusual for him. Then again, it wasn't every day that Hawkshaven got a visit from a wizard. It wasn't every day that a young man died mysteriously, either. "What strange coincidences," Careo murmered. "Unless they're not..."

Finally, Careo spoke up.
"Nobody knows the woods much better than I do. I've spent a lot of my time out there. I'm coming along."

He sauntered closer to where Mr. Fogg and the other two men were standing. As he walked, he willed his hair back to brown. Reaching them, he held a hand out in greeting.

"Careo Novo, local jack-of-all-trades."

obtusehobbit
2009-04-24, 08:25 PM
Theron Mythseeker

Theron continues to write in his little book taking down the names of the volunteers. After several moments contemplation he looks up from his journal and says "I will assist in this expedition it may be yield useful info for my manuscript." he then moves to join the other volunteers still writing in his journal. He appears to take little interest in reaction to his statement. After joining the group he stops writing for a moment and seems to lose himself in thought. He nods his satisfaction as if he has come to a decision, and then continues to write with renewed vigor. After a few more moments of silent writing he looks up at the two volunteers who have yet to offer their names, and asks "Might I inquire after your names? One must keep proper documentation least one's fact become questioned."

pyrefiend
2009-04-24, 08:38 PM
Drake shakes Careo's hand and looks toward the man who just stepped forward. He appears a bit taken aback, he hadn't expected anyone else to volunteer, let alone five people. Drake orders his thoughts and addresses the man with the notebook. "Of course. Such is only reasonable. My name is Drake Dazarut, warrior and student of the law. And you are?..."

obtusehobbit
2009-04-24, 08:48 PM
Theron Mythseeker

"Oh sorry did I fail to mention it my mind tends to wander. So Drake Dazarut is it, a student of law very good that is very useful thank you." he goes back to writing in his journal.

Faulty
2009-04-24, 08:53 PM
Alcest Delmonde

Alcest shows no outward reaction to the sudden influx of volunteers, keeping his serious demeanour intact. However, were he less constrained, he might raise his eyebrows in a mixture of surprise and amusement. His impromptu traveling companions seemed an interesting lot. The first volunteer, Drake's fidelity to law might fetter him, but his body suggested an able swordsman. The brown haired young individual had an intriguing air and a man of knowledge is a man of power; Alcest looked forward to interaction with the man. The other two seemed a tad odder, one who had little concern for his hygiene and another who had little concern for almost everything going on around him. Oh well, he learned through combat training at the monestary that one must adapt and explore the mecurial turns life takes. Send your ships into uncharted waters, as they say.

"Alcest Delmonde," Alcest says, thrusting out a hand and speaking with a very proper seriousness, "philosopher and traveling warrior, prodigal son of house Delmonde."

obtusehobbit
2009-04-24, 09:42 PM
Theron Mythseeker

"Alcest Delmonde philosopher and traveling warrior you say intresting. Now let see house Delmonde is it I believe I may recall them from my studies." Theron thinks for a moment trying to recall what he can about House Delmonde. He then goes back to writing for a few mor moment then stop suddenly as if realizing something is missing he speaks up once again "Perhaps I should introduce myself then? I am Theron Mythseeker graduate of The Ral'endas Falls University of Learning and Magical Advancement. I am currently on a long term expedition collecting and cataloging local myths and legends from across all of Mendge. I hope to some day compile my finding into book that is worthy to be added to the shelves of The Great Library. Along with my interest in myths and legends I have an interest in all knowledge, and attempt to expand my understanding of our world whenever opportune. Such as now I have gained as many bits of lore from this village as I can, but solving this mystery may very well afford me the opportunity to gain useful knowledge." After his brief speech about himself and his goals he goes back to work on his notebook.

Knowledge Nobility and Royalty
[roll0] or [roll1] take highest add 6
So 9 it is

Faulty
2009-04-24, 10:15 PM
Alcest Delmonde

"Well met, Theron," Alcest starts. "I myself would like to write some day; I'm traveling to gain the experience necessary to allow me to write properly. I might be able to teach you a bit about the Sublime Way as you witness me in battle," Alcest says with self-assured pride, tapping the rapier at his side as he does.

Obviously an unlucky roll; should I give some slightly fault knowledge of my house?

Vexxation
2009-04-24, 10:30 PM
Careo Novo

"The Sublime Way? That rings a bell. Let me think..." Careo says, trying to recall something old Mr. Hawthorne had told him once about his travels as a young man.

"I'll bet you're pretty handy with a blade, eh? You must have come quite a ways. I don't even know where the nearest monastery is."

Knowledge (Local) check to see what Careo knows about Swordsages
[roll0]

Faulty
2009-04-24, 10:49 PM
Alcest Delmonde

"More than a few days ride, of course. I've yet to have a chance to test my skills outside the monestary walls, hopefully that will change." Alcest nods asuredly. With genuine curiosity, he continues, "And what of you, may I ask your skills?"

According to ToB you've found out that my type thinks they know more about the balde than anyone else. :P

Vexxation
2009-04-24, 11:04 PM
Careo Novo

Careo chuckles a few times.
"Me? I'm quite good at quite a bit. Useful skills, general knowledge, even a bit of Arcane ability... not much, though." He pauses, then decides to continue,"I'm good at... well... changing people's perception of what transpires." He'd avoided outright saying he was into deception, and sounded genuine enough.

ToB lists that outcome as a Knowledge:History. Page 28 suggests use of K:Local for specific Orders and whatnot. I improvised. Seems reasonable, though.

Faulty
2009-04-24, 11:09 PM
Didn't notice that. :smalleek: Ah well, well done improv. I'm not gonna do anymore IC posting until the others get a chance.

Pink
2009-04-24, 11:22 PM
Philleas Fogg

Philleas looks at the other volunteers that seemed to spring up. Seemed that altruistic was catching in this area. Making a mental note to avoid the water, Fogg turned toward the bookwormish gnome to say, "If you going to be taking down names I think it'd be quite remiss...Funny word that. Anyway, it'd be quite remiss not to mention my dear friend and companion Telemicus here." he says, motioning to the brown rat on his shoulder. At this moment the rat actually stands up on its hinds legs and seems to give a bowing motion. "Proud little fellow isn't he. Anyway it really is a pleasure to meet all of you, glad to have some others to go traipsing into the woods with you know." he says, giving a good solid shake to any hands offered remotely close to his direction, leaving a slight residue of dirt and grease on the offered limbs.
"So, how about we take a quite trip to this little town's pub, have a little chat, get to know what's what before we head out looking for 'em missing souls eh? Getting our bases set, making a battle plan, filling our stomachs with proper cooked food one last time a'fore we head into great mother wilderness."
"Unless" Philleas says with an after thought, "There be some others out here to volunteer I suppose?"

obtusehobbit
2009-04-25, 08:40 AM
Theron Mythseeker

"Show me about the sublime way hm-mm. That very well might be interesting indeed."

Knowledge History [roll0]+8 = 12
Knowledge Local [roll1]+6 = 20

Gamgee
2009-04-25, 02:29 PM
Kurshirugg
Finally after listening to some of the crowds conversations and from the person rallying volunteers to help save people. This was right up his alley, and not to mention his duty. So finally he speaks up and seems fairly out of place among the Humans. Being the only Elf it is hard to muster such a loud voice, but he manages to speak up over the crowd and gathering of volunteers "I will also volunteer my assistance."

With hat he walks over to the largest assembled group of volunteers and introduces himself "Greetings, I am Kurshiruug."

Pink
2009-04-25, 02:38 PM
Philleas Fogg

"Kurshiruug? Boy that's a bit of a mouthful and tongue twister all in one. How about I call you Kurshi? I like the sound of that." Philleas says after the elf's introduction, already trying to locate a decent looking pub from the centre of the town square. One would think that in a smaller town like this, a bar open and serving alchohol at this time of the morning was out of the question, but it seems like Philleas has alot of hope that this town is an exception

Faulty
2009-04-25, 02:58 PM
Alcest Delmonde

"Interesting. A well versed and extensively talented man is a useful companion. I'm used to coming across the specialized, after my time in the monestary. The aristocracy I left is very intent on trying a multitude of hobbies and being successful at none, however." Alcest quickly adds, "I'm sure you're nothing like that, of course."

Alcest accepts Philleas' hand and upon drawing it away, can't help but show a bit of displeasure at the residue left on his hand after Philleas' handshake. He pulls a hankerchief from a pocket in his jacket and wipes his hands. "Have you a room at an inn? The one I'm staying at, the Copper Coronet, has bath water availible," Alcest says, speaking with honesty.

He turns to Theron, "Anyway, as for the Sublime Way..." His elaboration is cut short by the arrival of another volunteer, this time a seemingly nearly overburdened elf. Turning, he offers his hand, "Well, good day Kurshiruug."

Alcest's low Charisma is due to his relative bluntness, he considers honesty a value to be held highly, despite the slight affection he has for some aspects of remaining refined. Just so you understand it well enough, it's not so much mocking or insulting as it is blunt.

Vexxation
2009-04-25, 03:21 PM
Careo Novo

Now they were six. Careo's eyes narrowed at the newest companion, and felt his conscience yell at him. But the odd-looking elf with the hard-to-pronounce name was still an elf. A little voice inside told him that if they were to be in this together, he couldn't hold that against him. The elf had, after all, volunteered to help, and Careo respected that.

Careo decided to hold off on judging this one until he knew more. It would be hypocrisy to judge him by what he saw. Careo knew that better than most. He looked at the elf, smiled, and nodded politely.

Gamgee
2009-04-25, 03:45 PM
Kurshiruug
Seeing the odd group he was feeling a little hesitant about them, but he couldn't see any reason to be too suspicious yet. When one of the humans reached out a hand in greeting Kurshiruug took it and shook back. Apparently manners are a thing of the past in Human lands as he received no names from the five assembled before him. He remained in silence waiting for the next decision. He didn't feel like trying to break the ice with this tough crowd, more so after such a long and tiring journey.

Pink
2009-04-25, 06:43 PM
Philleas Fogg

"'Fraid I just arrived in town this morning friend, but as long as they have a proper bar in their pub I'm all in for this inn of yours. As I said, we can make each other's acquaintance more properly over food and drink and make a bit of a plan. I know I'm a little sorely prepared for hiking through a wood, need to get myself some proper winter clothes a'fore we head out, and I'm sure we can think of a thing or two that may help us before heading into the scary dark lonely woods out yonder." Philleas says, the comment about the bath water completely floating over his head, or being easily ignored. He motions for Alcest to lead the way to the establishment, already assuming the the others are agreeable to the idea. Why wouldn't they of course. And if he was lucky, free food and drinks for the noble volunteers.

AetherFox
2009-04-25, 06:53 PM
Upon the members of the party meeting, the man steps down from the crate and walks towards you. Now that he is closer, you can see that he is a small man, and he looks extremely frail, and his face is marred by countless scars. "Thank you all so much for for agreeing to help our town. I hope you all have seen a fight... Those were brave men that went into the forest, and I'd hate for there to be anything you guys couldn't handle." He looks at the various weapons and armor that you wear, ad responds, "from the looks of it though, you should be fine. I'm Benjamin by the way, Benjamin Post."

Vexxation
2009-04-25, 07:57 PM
Careo Novo

<Mental Note: Benjamin Post's face is covered with scars. Politely ask at a better time how he got them.>

"I can't really speak for everyone, but I think we can handle whatever we find. I've never heard of much in the woods that was too dangerous," Careo said, quite confidently.

It was true that he hadn't heard of dangers within the woods, and he'd never gotten in too much trouble there as a youth. The occasional wild animal, but he'd never seen much else. And yet.... he was troubled. Something had killed that boy and kept the hunting party.

<Can't rule out that the rest of the hunters may have done it, somehow... must keep my wits about me>

Careo shivered, and began to see what Fogg was getting at. "I think Philleas is right. We should head somewhere warmer and more comfortable to get more information and formulate a plan."

obtusehobbit
2009-04-25, 08:14 PM
Theron Mythseeker

Paying attention to the conversation for once Theron speaks up, and says "Yes, Yes let us get to some sort of tavern that way we can make plans for the expedition, and pool our knowledge of the situation. That way we can formulate a plan as Careo so wisely said one must try to always be prepared. Once we have a plan then perhaps I can get some peace and quiet to compile today's events properly so that it may someday be added to my manuscript" With that Theron begins heading to the tavern/inn where he has been staying for the past couple weeks.

Pink
2009-04-25, 08:22 PM
Philleas Fogg

"Umm, Gnnome guy, I mean, Theren was it? I think we're actually heading to the Copper Pot inn where Al's been staying. In that direction. Unless they have better food and drink at your perhaps?" Philleas says to the gnome, pointing in the direction Alcest is leading.

"And no problem Benjy, just, umm, civic duty and, uh, can't resist a chance to help out right? Say, I don't suppose any of those lads lost in the forest happen to be related to some well-to-do member of this town's society by any chance do they?" Philleas replies to Mr. Post, only slightly put out by the scars and more flustered over trying to look like he's doing this out of the goodness of his heart. Which he was of course, he was just aware that doing things out of the goodness of your heart could bring other rewards as well.

Vexxation
2009-04-25, 08:41 PM
Careo Novo

Careo smiled at Philleas's comments.
<Haven't even established a plan, and already thinking of a reward. I like this guy.>

He spoke up to correct Philleas.
"Copper Coronet, actually. The Copper Pot's not exactly the most reputable establishment in Hawkshaven, if you know what I mean. I really wish someone would make them change their name. It's too confusing to travelers, why, just the other day..." Careo said, only half-realizing he was going on about a rather uninteresting topic. He stopped at that thought, hoping nobody minded. "Er... anyway, yes. Let's go, shall we?" With a quick glance around and a nod, he began to follow Alcest off toward the inn.

obtusehobbit
2009-04-25, 09:26 PM
Realizing his error theron quickly joins the others he even goes so far as to put away his journal as the travel to the Copper Coronet "Very well then let us be off. Master Careo please continue with your story if you would no need to be shy. What happened the other day may be of interest to those you least expect. Why just the other say I was attempting to acquire a rather...." Theron continues talking explaining in great detail about how he acquired a story from a local wise man by offering in exchange some bit of trivial knowledge he had learned in a town over. "...then he final relented, and we both departed happy. See even the most insignificant thing can lead to something greater."

Gamgee
2009-04-25, 10:43 PM
Kurshiruug
Bored by the endless conversation he wondered if other species were capable of silence for a few minutes to simply enjoy... silence. It must be an Elf thing he reminded himself, as most others he came across were always blabbing on about something.

On the outside he had a blank stoic face on and it was quite impossible to tell he was irritated by all of the dialogue. Breathing heavy from the incredibly long journey and wanting a rest from this incredibly heavy pack he was amazed they couldn't simply just pick a tavern. They were all generally the same as far as any Elf could tell in their incredibly long lives. He followed them in silence, all he wanted was to sit down and rest a moment.

AetherFox
2009-04-27, 01:34 PM
Benjamin looks quite shocked as you stand there, talking amongst each other (or not). "Please, I don't think you realize the severity of the situation. Our friends, neighbors, and brothers are trapped in there with gods know what! You guys need to go now. Every second their in there is another second their lives are in danger!"

For Drake and Kurshiruug only:
You two both notice for a moment, something other than fear on his face, but can't quite place it. Anger, perhaps?

Pink
2009-04-27, 02:43 PM
Philleas Fogg

Philleas turns and looks at the man for a moment, a blank stare on the wizard's face as he listens. The wheels quickly turning in his head he responds in a half serious half friendly manner to Mr. Post. "Benjy, I understand your concern, but really, you need to look at this from our perspective. I just arrived in town. I hardly expected the first thing I'd be doing today is running into a forest I am completely unfamiliar with in order to rescue some huntsmen, and I'm quite sure I'm not the only one who is a little unprepared for it. We'll be much more effective in finding them if we have a chance to perhaps find and ask their relatives where the young men usually hunt, where they camp out in the woods, and other such things that we need some time to prepare for. It could be the difference between us going in to rescue them and us wandering blindly into the woods to wind up dead ourselves." Hoping his explanation was enough, Philleas headed back to follow Alcest to the inn. "That, and I haven't had a proper breakfast yet. They do say breakfast is the most important meal of the day."

OOC: I can understand trying to speed things up, but I don't think many of these High Int characters will run into the forest without some kind of plan and a little information gathering. If you want to speed up the town roleplay elements though, I wouldn't mind a quick purchase of a cold weather outfit and a winter blanket. 8.5 gold and we can just say I picked it up from a vender on the way to the inn if that's alright.

Vexxation
2009-04-27, 07:00 PM
Careo Novo

Mr. Post raised a valuable point, yet he just didn't understand.

"Mr. Post, I know you're worried about these men, but you aren't the only one. I want to find them just as much as you do. But you have to go about things logically. We can't just run in blindly. If there's something dangerous out there, and, to be honest, I have a feeling there is, we need to be ready to deal with that."

He paused; he felt that perhaps he was being a little too blunt. "I know time is of the essence, but we won't take long. We just need to get our bearings, and figure things out, like Philleas said."

Again, he paused. The man clearly was in need of reassuring. Careo put his hand on Benjamin's shoulder. "Don't worry yourself. We'll get them out safely." As he turned, he felt a pang of guilt at what might be an untruth. It was for the best, though.

Faulty
2009-04-27, 09:12 PM
Alcest Delmonde

"Indeed, Sir Novo and Mr. Fogg are both correct. Though the pause may seem to slow us, the efficiency it will grant us will ultimately outweigh the penalties. Sometimes a shift in stance can win a fight."

Alcest continues to lead the way to the inn.

AetherFox
2009-04-28, 10:32 AM
"Indeed, perhaps it is for the best." Ben looks at the group, smiling while speaking. "Just make sure you go as quickly as possible."

This is actually only about 5% me wanting to speed things up, 95% playing Post, so go ahead and roleplay in the tavern.

Gamgee
2009-04-28, 08:17 PM
Kurshiruug
In a low voice he mutters to the the other volunteers and the man who had rallied them "I don't have time to just stand around all day. I'm going to the closest inn and getting a room. After that I intend to leave for my mission as soon as possible."

With that he heads off in the direction of the nearest tavern by following signs and asking any he passes for directions. It is evident he doesn't care if the others are following.

obtusehobbit
2009-04-29, 07:39 PM
Theron Mythseeker

"Don't go to far my fine elven friend we to will be off sortly as well I believe, but first we must gather our supplies and make some plans."

Vexxation
2009-04-29, 08:49 PM
Careo Novo

The inn wasn't too awfully far away, and they reached it shortly.

"Aha, at last, the Copper Coronet!" Careo exclaimed, upon the quintet's arrival.

The building is almost deserted, save a lone barmaid, a buxom young woman toiling away, cleaning an already spotless counter. She flashes a smile at the group as they enter. Careo blushes, temporarily, but quickly composes himself.

Hope you don't mind my inventing the barmaid. I figured there'd be one.

Faulty
2009-04-29, 09:33 PM
Alcest Delmonde

"Well then, shall we be seated?" Alcest walks by the bar maid to the far corner of the room and pulls out a chair, seating himself.

Pink
2009-04-29, 10:36 PM
Philleas Fogg

"Ah, a fine place for a get together. Madam, if it's not too much trouble I shall have some bread and two fried eggs, yolks broken if you don't mind, and if you have some available a dash of some ground pepper over them would be wonderful." A squeaking by his ear reminds him of Telemicus and he adds to his order, "Oh, and a small chunk of cheese. And a pint of some decent ale if you have a barrel tapped this morning. Thank you."

His order complete he sits down at a table with (presumably) the rest of the party (sans the elf). It's actually somewhat interesting to notice that the odour that permeates the air around him is much less noticeable in the bar setting. Perhaps this is because much of it was gathered in a baroom setting and is therefore quite natural, or maybe its just on its best behavior when there is a chance for food and a drink. "So, I'm new, which of you fellow volunteers and, once we find them, heroes, are locals and which are visitors? Have to say that volunteering for a quest in an area I know nothing about to find people who still haven't been named or described for me is not the smartest move I've made in my life. I blame it on the lack of drink in my system, a fact which will hopefully be remedied. Anyway, to planning. So, locals, anybody?"

AetherFox
2009-05-03, 08:15 PM
A few minutes in the town reveals to Kurshiruug that the Copper Coronet is indeeed the only choice of inn. This is quite a small town, after all, which gets very few visitors.

The small wooden door sticks a little as the group enters the Copper Coronet. It is a small, comely tavern, which is apparently run by the barmaid and (presumably from the close family resemblence) her brother, and a chef in back. This is fine, however, because the Coronet is realively empty: a group of four sit at one table talking quietly amongst themselves, and another man sits with his head in his arms at the bar, possibly asleep, surrounded by an empty mug and a disordly stack of papers.

The barmaid comes over as the groups sits down to take Pilleas's order. Despite the events of the morning, she seems rather cheerful today. As she smiles and takes the order, it's unclear whether she's eyeing Careo, or just trying to look anywhere but Philleas. "Can I get anyone else something to eat? We just got some fresh arrowhawk eggs. Supposed to be delicious."

Vexxation
2009-05-03, 08:52 PM
Careo Novo

Careo smiles at the barmaid. "That sounds lovely, thanks," he says, sincerely meaning it. He'd been awakened quite early by all the hubbub around town and had yet to eat. His stomach had been reminding him of this fact, angrily.

"Now, Mr. Fogg... Can I call you Philleas? I'm going to. Philleas, I'm from Hawkshaven, lived here all my life. If you have questions, I'll try to answer them as best I can." He knew Fogg was right about the dangers of rushing in blindly; that was, after all, the precise reason they had adjourned to the inn.

"Now, about the forest..."
Knowledge(Local) skill check, Gentoo's discretion what it nets me.
Spending 1 Inspiration point for Cunning Knowledge (+Factotum Level to Skill Check)
Check:[roll0]

obtusehobbit
2009-05-04, 09:32 AM
Realizing the pertinent information may be forth coming Theron stops talking about his expedition, and once more pulls out his journal. "Well, I would be interested to know about those who have gone missing thus far"

Faulty
2009-05-04, 12:31 PM
Alcest

Alcest orders as healthy a meal possible and turns to the group, a serious look on his face. "So, Careo. You're most familiar with the town, yes? Do you know anything pertinent?"

Pink
2009-05-04, 08:30 PM
Philleas Fogg

"Thank you miss, but eggs of the normal chicken variety will suffice." Philleas says with a smile to the barmaid.

"Well, it's good to have at least one of us familiar. And yes, feel free to call me by a more casual name. I've never been good with titles or formality or all that stuff." The unkept wizard replies to Careo.
"Now perhaps it's a bit much to ask, after all I don't really know how large this town is and how much of a community spirit it harbours, but pr'haps you might be able to tell us who the rest of the missing blokes are eh? Surely that much has spread over town, and if you know a bit more about them and their hunting patterns, all the better."

Vexxation
2009-05-04, 09:18 PM
Careo Novo

Careo thought hard about the forest. A few things came to mind that he thought were important enough to mention.

"Okay, first of all, I don't know if you know this, but it's referred to as the Forest of Wrath." Careo paused, to get a little acknowledgment. "Well, anyway, ignore the name. There's no curse or anything, it's all superstition based on a guy from way back called Matthew Rath. As far as I've ever known, the forest is pretty much harmless."

Careo looked down at the table in front of him. After a moment, he spoke once more, "...and that's what frightens me. Because I don't know what's out there anymore. Once we enter the forest, we're going to have to be cautious and ready for absolutely anything."

"As far as I can tell, only one thing remains: finding where the hunters went. I wish I knew, but I'm sure someone can tell us."

Yay for minor progress! One step closer to getting back on the railroad figuring this mystery out :smallbiggrin:

Gamgee
2009-05-05, 03:25 PM
Kurshiruug

Having paid for his room he heads upstairs and puts his backpack on his rented bed. Afterwords he comes back downstairs and sits down with the group and listens to them talk. When the barmaid asks what he wants he orders the special with some water to drink. After that he sits back to listen to the group talk. A sigh of relaxation escapes him as he leans back clearly glad to have the heavy pack off his back.

Faulty
2009-05-05, 11:37 PM
Alcest

Alcest drums his fingers in the table, his other hand held over his mouth and propping up his head. Lost in concentration, he stares at nothing in particular. "Forest of Wrath, hrm?," he mumbles. "We have no option but to go into the forest. I'm sure everyone is prepared for the climes around here as far as equipment is concerned? We may have to make camp. Once we've eaten, I say we head out as soon as possible. At the very least... any suggestions for a search plan? We should ask about first, but what after?"

Pink
2009-05-07, 09:43 PM
Philleas Fogg

"Kurshi, nice to see you've joined us." Fogg says to the now unladen elf that joins them in their meal. In responce to Alcest's comment the wizard replies, "I'm afraid I don't carry many warm clothes or other weather appropriate items with me. Usually I have a spell for that, but in the off chance of danger it may be best to go through mundane ways to keep my warmth and have an extra spell to blast something with eh? So I'll need a brief stop at a merchant 'fore we leave, less one of you gents has extra to lend to me?"
"As for how we should go about looking for them, if we cannot find their family, we should find other hunters. I'd imagine there has to be a certain small number of good hunting spots, especially now that winter's come eh? Know of any Car, hunters that is? Someone who might even have a map or two or something of that sort to bum off him?"

Gamgee
2009-05-10, 01:26 AM
Kurshiruug
Sipping his water for a few minutes he eventually grew bored of the silence and spoke up. "I wonder if we can find and talk to a local guide. He may be able to provide us a map. I mean surely there has to be someone left who knows the forest."