PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Optimizing Arcana

Gralamin
2009-04-23, 12:18 AM
So, I'm trying to Optimize Arcana for the ability to get all of the sage of Ages "Trick of Knowledge" effects every time. Here's what I have so far:
Assuming a starting intelligence of 18:

+8 (Int)
+5 (Trained)
+15 (Half Level)
+3 (Skill Focus)
+6 (Epic Iron of Spite, or Similar item)
+6 (Paragon of Learning)
+2 (Race)
+2 (Crafter Homunculus)
-----
+47.

Since I'm going up against DC 61, I need it to be a bit higher. Suggestions?

Note: Daily power based solutions are unlikely to be accepted, as the goal is to gain this benefit every encounter.

1of3
2009-04-23, 02:11 AM
You can also take an appropriate background for another +2. (Assuming you play with backgrounds, of course.)

NPCMook
2009-04-23, 03:53 AM
Its supposed to be kind of difficult to reach a 61+, while you need to roll a 14+ on the die, that's still a good chance, I'm sure there are a few Utility powers that give you the minor boost.

Also don't forget Bardic Knowledge

Kurald Galain
2009-04-23, 03:58 AM
A level-2 utility power from dragon magazine allows you to reroll Arcana once per encounter. Mathematically that's about a +3.5 on average.

Burley
2009-04-23, 09:56 AM
Well, there's the Deva's racial power. Gives you an extra d6. "I rolled a natural 20... that's a 67... I dislike it enough for an encounter power."

Win, right there.

Thajocoth
2009-04-23, 11:06 AM
Well, there's the Deva's racial power. Gives you an extra d6. "I rolled a natural 20... that's a 67... I dislike it enough for an encounter power."

Win, right there.

And there's a feat to increase the die size of it to d8 as well.

tcrudisi
2009-04-23, 02:47 PM
Also, don't forget about the epic destiny: Demigod. That's another +2 Int.

If you are allowed to use backgrounds, select High Imaskar from Forgotten Realms. It allows you to reroll any Arcana check. Plus it has another nice side benefit, but that's of no real importance to this.

Gralamin
2009-04-23, 08:35 PM
The Background helps, thats up to +49.

Bardic Knowledge doesn't help since it doesn't stack with Skill Focus (Both feat bonuses).

That level 2 utility could be very helpful, I'll take a look for it. (+52.5)

Deva's power can't make things that aren't natural 20 a natural 20 (Its a bonus, it doesn't change the actual roll), but an average of +4.5 with the feat brings this up to a total net sum of ~+57

tcrudisi: Sage of the Ages is an Epic Destiny, and I can't take two. I'd rather take the +2 general background then a forgotten realms one.

erikun
2009-04-23, 09:19 PM
Gnome/Eladrin allows for 20 INT, and both have a +2 to Arcana. That gives another +1 due to high INT, if you can afford it.

It doesn't look like there are any racial feats that add to Arcana, though.

I don't have the book; does it look like something that can be used with Aid Another?

Expert Ritualist gives a +2 bonus to rituals, if it's somehow a ritual.

TheDarkOne
2009-04-24, 12:21 AM
A level-2 utility power from dragon magazine allows you to reroll Arcana once per encounter. Mathematically that's about a +3.5 on average.

Just adding 3.5 on to your skill for a re-roll isn't really accurate here. The 3.5 comes from averaging the "effective bonus" of the re-roll over all situations where it's possible for you to make a DC.(ie from the case where you need a 20, to the case where you only fail on a 1) In this situation you actually know the DC and your skill bonus, so it's possible to calculate exactly how much the re-roll is worth with the following formula.

"effective bonus" of re-roll=(Chance of Success)*(Chance of Failure)*20

Gralamin
2009-04-24, 01:39 AM
Just adding 3.5 on to your skill for a re-roll isn't really accurate here. The 3.5 comes from averaging the "effective bonus" of the re-roll over all situations where it's possible for you to make a DC.(ie from the case where you need a 20, to the case where you only fail on a 1) In this situation you actually know the DC and your skill bonus, so it's possible to calculate exactly how much the re-roll is worth with the following formula.

"effective bonus" of re-roll=(Chance of Success)*(Chance of Failure)*20

Well, we have +49, vs DC 61. So 61-49 = 12, A roll of 12 or greater is needed. So we have 1-11 (55%) of failure, and thus 45% of success.
55%*45%*20 = 4.95, We'll call that +5.
We can then add +4.5 to our higher roll by being a deva with that feat, so 49 + 9.5 = ~+58.5 That should be about the amount we want.

eepop
2009-04-24, 10:17 AM
Can't you just use the "count a roll as a 20" ability that you gain at level 24 on this?

Suleman
2009-04-25, 09:45 AM
Shaman multiclass for Speak with spirits 1/day. +Wis to the skill check in question.

Douglas
2009-04-25, 11:12 AM
If the Compendium's version of it is correctly worded, the Moran's Eye orb from King of the Trollhaunt Warrens gives a +5 untyped bonus to Arcana. You don't have to be using it to gain this bonus, just "have the Eye in your possession", and it costs a mere 21000 gp. It's also a +3 orb with two minor powers.