PDA

View Full Version : [3E] Your favorite use(s) of Polymorph?

PrGo
2009-04-23, 05:12 AM
I'm making a Thrall of Juiblex who, at level 8, gets Polymorph at will. I'm kinda new to spellcasting, since 95% of my characters were martial/monstrous/something else with either no or very low spellcasting. Hence, I don't know any good uses for polymorph. Or any fun uses :smalltongue:

That is why I'm asking here. What are your personal favorite uses of Polymorph? It could be any legal kind of use, from fluff-wise to the most broken ones.

The stage is yours.

Farlion
2009-04-23, 05:19 AM
1) Large burrowing animals. Make your party take a way in, noone expects.
2) Nymph. Pretty girls open many doors.
3) Common animals (dog, cat, rat)
4) Animals that can breathe under water

Cheers,
Farlion

Olo Demonsbane
2009-04-23, 08:35 AM
For brokenness....nothing beats a Hydra.

If you get that feat that gives you one Supernatural Ability of your shapechanged form, then there are a lot more options for fun and profit.

Starbuck_II
2009-04-23, 08:38 AM
I'm making a Thrall of Juiblex who, at level 8, gets Polymorph at will. I'm kinda new to spellcasting, since 95% of my characters were martial/monstrous/something else with either no or very low spellcasting. Hence, I don't know any good uses for polymorph. Or any fun uses :smalltongue:

That is why I'm asking here. What are your personal favorite uses of Polymorph? It could be any legal kind of use, from fluff-wise to the most broken ones.

The stage is yours.

Cloaker: Hold person/other extraordinary attacks (even though they mimic spells) at will.

Treant for melee badass-ness.

Hydra (heads equal to HD) so by caster 12 I use 12 headed hydra.

mikej
2009-04-23, 08:45 AM
For brokenness....nothing beats a Hydra.

War Troll?

- 12-headed Hydra
- War Troll
- Girallon ( personal fav )

Harperfan7
2009-04-23, 09:26 AM
Expeditious retreat (Swift if you have it) + Polymorph (cheetah, light horse, deer, etc.) = redonkulous speed

newbDM
2009-04-23, 09:35 AM
Brew it into a potion.
Slap a Cure Serious Wounds label on it.
Put it mixed in with the rest of the loot the party gets from X encounter/dungeon/whatever.
Keep a copy of the Reincarnation table handy.
????
Profit!

chiasaur11
2009-04-23, 12:24 PM
Fleshrakers are good too, from what I gather.

Poisonious dinosaurs. Because being able to turn into dinosaur is always awesome.

Fishy
2009-04-23, 12:59 PM
PrC into Master of Many Forms, grow an arbitrary number of tentacles.

As a nymph, why not.

Bluebeard
2009-04-23, 01:13 PM
Slightly off-topic, but do Polymorph or Wild Shape forms advance in size with your CL? I've seen too many contradicting opinions to judge and I haven't cared enough to press a case either way.
Like if a CL 18 Wizard cast Draconic Polymorph to turn into a Bulette, would he be Huge (as normal) or Gargantuan (as in the Advancement section)?

As for forms, I'm a fan of turning my Unseen Seer archer into an Arrow Demon (there are a couple hoops to jump through for outsiders, but they're often worthwhile).
And Wyverns can be pretty nasty at mid-levels: Flight, decent NA, 6 attacks per round and poison.

Starbuck_II
2009-04-23, 01:30 PM
Slightly off-topic, but do Polymorph or Wild Shape forms advance in size with your CL? I've seen too many contradicting opinions to judge and I haven't cared enough to press a case either way.
Like if a CL 18 Wizard cast Draconic Polymorph to turn into a Bulette, would he be Huge (as normal) or Gargantuan (as in the Advancement section)?

Nope. Only what is in the Monste Manual. You become an ordinary member of that creature.

An advanced one is not ordinary. So only huge bulettes.

The MM has all the hydras so they are allowed.

Eldariel
2009-04-23, 01:57 PM
Nope. Only what is in the Monste Manual. You become an ordinary member of that creature.

An advanced one is not ordinary. So only huge bulettes.

The MM has all the hydras so they are allowed.

To clarify, same applies to all books - basic version of any creature is a fair game. Advanced versions, of course, are not.

Telonius
2009-04-23, 02:22 PM
He'll only be level 8 when he gets it, so he'll be limited to things of 8HD or less.

Rust Monster can be interesting, if you're dealing with fighter-ish enemies. Gynosphinx is decent, too; pounce plus rake.

Eldariel
2009-04-23, 02:27 PM
He'll only be level 8 when he gets it, so he'll be limited to things of 8HD or less.

Rust Monster can be interesting, if you're dealing with fighter-ish enemies. Gynosphinx is decent, too; pounce plus rake.

8-Headed Hydra too, and the mentioned Cloaker.

PrGo
2009-04-23, 02:27 PM
Oooh, thanks for the great advices, fellas! I would have never thought of the Nymph :smalltongue:

Keep 'em coming, please :smallbiggrin:

grautry
2009-04-23, 03:23 PM
http://forums.gleemax.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-175846

Have fun. :smallamused:

WeeFreeMen
2009-04-23, 07:21 PM
For a touch of fun and randomness, should your party be short of Seige on any attack that requires it.

Obtain some small creatures (Rats, Mice, Cats, w.e)

Cast fly or obtain a flying spell, get above said target.

Ready action to polymorph or quicken it and Drop the mouse onto the target such as a Keep wall or Guard tower.

Turn said animal into a Whale!!
Cause flying Orca's of death are always funny, especially when used with Siege attacks ^_^

Enjoy the LoL's :)

Crel
2009-04-23, 09:45 PM
I'll share a favorite moment. It may inspire ideas, or it may make the DM hate you. Not my problem.

So, I got the party (I was DMing) onto a private airship, then attacked them with three gnomish ones. surrounded, outnumbered, outgunned, etc. etc. So what does the wizard do? Polymorph. Into something that can fly, or would be plain useful? no. Instead of a Roc or a dragon, he polymorphs into a remorhaz. The cleric casts sanctuary, and jumps onto his back. So, while a battle is raging between the two smaller ships and the player's ship, the wizard and cleric LEAP from their ship onto the flagship. he kills about a dozen people, taking major damage, cleric heals. then...

HE BURROWS THROUGH THE SHIP! 'cause, you know, after all, the deck is technically the ground at the time, and there aren't any rules disallowing it, so I said sure. Idiot move by me. He takes out the flagship (did I mention that remorhazes do fire damage to anything touching?), then angles himself to hit one of the two remaining ships. these impacts do major major damage to him, but he lives, depolymorphs, and is caught by the PCs ship. I awarded MAJOR BA points that day.

So, basically if you have polymorph at will, you can pull off a ton of stuff. Don't ask your DM about anything though, just do, and if he says no, don't. And yes, you will be broken, but you will have fun.