PDA

View Full Version : Question about Bane weapons (3.5)

Harperfan7
2009-04-23, 08:13 AM
There's nothing that says you can't have a weapon with two banes, such as a +1 goblin bane, giant bane battleaxe.

My question is: do banes stack? Take a +1 evil outsider bane, chaotic outsider bane longsword. If used against a demon, do the bane effects stack (effectively making the sword +5 - 1d8+5+4d6)?

SolkaTruesilver
2009-04-23, 08:18 AM
One could argue that the bane extra damage is of "bane" quality, which makes it not stacking with itself.

I know, I've pulled it off once with my GM :smallbiggrin: He said "okay, this time, but never again"..

Ahh.. the joy of a Axiomatic Holy Outsider (Chaotic) Outsider (Evil) Weapon...

Starbuck_II
2009-04-23, 08:34 AM
There's nothing that says you can't have a weapon with two banes, such as a +1 goblin bane, giant bane battleaxe.

My question is: do banes stack? Take a +1 evil outsider bane, chaotic outsider bane longsword. If used against a demon, do the bane effects stack (effectively making the sword +5 - 1d8+5+4d6)?

Well, let us look at it.

A bane weapon excels at attacking one type or subtype of creature. Against its designated foe, its effective enhancement bonus is +2 better than its normal enhancement bonus. It deals an extra 2d6 points of damage against the foe. Bows, crossbows, and slings so crafted bestow the bane quality upon their ammunition. To randomly determine a weapon’s designated foe, roll on the following table

Bane has same choices as Ranger's Favored enemy: so I figure they have same limitation that can't get both types to stack.

Enhancement bonuses of same source don't stack so that part is obvious: the damage is argueable I'll admit.

Harperfan7
2009-04-23, 09:08 AM
Ok, I figured as much. Thanks for the input.

BTW, I was making a +5 anarchic fiend (evil outsider) bane holy adamantine longsword. Good times.

Harperfan7
2009-04-23, 09:10 AM
Actually, I have another question, do favored enemy bonuses stack with bane weapons?

Chronos
2009-04-23, 10:32 PM
Actually, I have another question, do favored enemy bonuses stack with bane weapons?They're separate sources, and there's nothing that says that they don't stack. And if you think about it, it'd be silly if a ranger who dedicated his life to hunting down goblins couldn't benefit from a sword forged for goblinslaying.

Draz74
2009-04-24, 01:11 AM
BTW, I was making a +5 anarchic fiend (evil outsider) bane holy adamantine longsword. Good times.

Hmmm, if you're really trying to specialize in devil-slaying, shouldn't it be silver rather than adamantine?

Iku Rex
2009-04-24, 02:29 AM
My question is: do banes stack? Take a +1 evil outsider bane, chaotic outsider bane longsword. If used against a demon, do the bane effects stack (effectively making the sword +5 - 1d8+5+4d6)?Sure. No rule says they don't.