PDA

View Full Version : Very likely SPAM messages.

Neko Toast
2009-04-23, 09:56 AM
So, as some of you know from a previous thread, I'm trying to sell my clarinet. Well, I just got two "offers" this morning.

I am MARK COLE,i am interested in buying your item listed above and i would like to know if its still available because i will like to make an instant purchase,so pls do respond back to me with the Amount of your Item. so i can start making the arrangement to buy it. I will also like you to know that i will be paying via Cashier check or money order,and it will be over night payment due to the distance .Regarding the shipping,You do not have to bother yourself for the shipping as I'll instruct my Client to send down his shipper across to you for the pick-up of the (MUSICAL INSTRUMENT) as soon as you receive the payment.And also be (NOTIFY)that my client shall be including an (Over Payment) in the check he will be sending to you in which you shall deduct the money for the (MUSICAL INSTRUMENT]and then send the rest to the shipper who will be coming across to you for the pick up of the (MUSICAL INSTRUMENT). So i will need you to provide me with the following information to facilitate the mailing of the check.1Your full name2.Your mailing address be it residential 3.Your phone number.4,The amount of the Item Please Directly Contact me by [[email protected]] **Once again,I will like you to know that you will not be responsible for shipping,i will have my mover come over as soon as you have your payment cashed **Have a nice day and god bless you MARK COLE

Hello I'm Charles Lee,

I hail from Canada in Ottawa city, I came across your advert on craigslist and am highly interested in Purchasing your (Music Instrument) which you offer for sale. Due to the fact that its been a long time have been searching for it, Please Kindly get back to me as soon as possible with the necessary answers to the question in mind,

Are you the first owner?
What is the present condition?
What is Your final asking price?

And I will also like you to send me Pictures to enable me view what I intend to purchase and i will like you to know that my form of payment is through a Certified Check.

I await your urgent response so that we can proceed further.

Regards

Charles

I wasn't planning on selling to them in the first place. None of them are in the immediate area, and the whole point of me using Craigslist was so that I could sell it to someone in the area.

Still, I think the emails are good for a laugh.

Katrascythe
2009-04-23, 10:33 AM
http://aruljohn.com/info/howtofindipaddress/

use that to get the IP addresses, they'll be like X-Originating so you don't get the server IP, and then use an IP address locator.

Neko Toast
2009-04-23, 10:47 AM
http://aruljohn.com/info/howtofindipaddress/

use that to get the IP addresses, they'll be like X-Originating so you don't get the server IP, and then use an IP address locator.

Wish I could use this technique, but the messages were sent to my school e-mail. We use a different system that doesn't seem to be listed on that page.

Katrascythe
2009-04-23, 10:59 AM
Wish I could use this technique, but the messages were sent to my school e-mail. We use a different system that doesn't seem to be listed on that page.

Hrm, you're probably on an IMAP server. If you could set up your email to be received by Outlook then you can use

http://www.johnru.com/active-whois/trace-email.html

It'll look a bit different but it works out to be the same. You might call your school's tech support to find out how to set up Outlook to receive your messages.

Of course this is a lot of effort to see if this is really a scam XD

Muz
2009-04-23, 01:38 PM
Wow. You're (term of accuracy), these have got to be spam. That makes me (expression of humor). :smallbiggrin:

Neko Toast
2009-04-23, 02:59 PM
Well, after reviewing it with some of my friends, we deduced that the first email is complete BS, and the other, though a little iffy, might be trustworthy. My only issue is that the second e-mailer wishes to pay by check... How am I supposed to know if the check is fake or not? I know that, with sites like Craigslist and Ebay, the money has to be sent first before the item is shipped, but I dunno... What do you guys think?

CreganTur
2009-04-23, 03:06 PM
Well, after reviewing it with some of my friends, we deduced that the first email is complete BS, and the other, though a little iffy, might be trustworthy. My only issue is that the second e-mailer wishes to pay by check... How am I supposed to know if the check is fake or not? I know that, with sites like Craigslist and Ebay, the money has to be sent first before the item is shipped, but I dunno... What do you guys think?

Just tell him you won't be mailing the item until after your bank says the check clears. It's perfectly legal to do this, and if he balks you know he's a fraud.

Jølly
2009-04-23, 03:28 PM
They sound like droids or something. :smalltongue:

Lamech
2009-04-23, 03:40 PM
The first one is a scam. Basically they "overpay" you and ask for the money back, so it can get paid to the "shipper". The check is bad, and you just handed over some money.

The second one... this guy if he is real, probably doesn't speak english. He may also be a scammer. So I would suggest that if he pays by check you make sure the check clears; before you send him anything.
Basically to never get scammed don't send out anything until your bank says, "yes this is a good check/cash transfer/whatever". Record the bank saying that if your paranoid. :smallsmile: Also to prevent confusion I sugest photographing the condition of the (musical insturment) when you put it in the box.

Kantur
2009-04-23, 04:48 PM
The first one is a scam. Basically they "overpay" you and ask for the money back, so it can get paid to the "shipper". The check is bad, and you just handed over some money.

Or it could be money laundering, either way it's something to avoid doing...

wxdruid
2009-04-23, 05:29 PM
I don't think I'd trust the first one at all.

In terms of the second one, if you decide to sell it to him, then get the check first, make sure it clears (meaning you wait 10-15 days for it to clear. People can make convincing checks that the bank thinks are real, but then proves not to be when they process it through the system.)

Neko Toast
2009-04-23, 05:32 PM
I don't think I'd trust the first one at all.

In terms of the second one, if you decide to sell it to him, then get the check first, make sure it clears (meaning you wait 10-15 days for it to clear. People can make convincing checks that the bank thinks are real, but then proves not to be when they process it through the system.)

Now you see, this just sounds time consuming and frustrating. This is why I would rather deal with cash.

wxdruid
2009-04-23, 07:29 PM
Can you specify on your ad that you only want to try and sell it locally? And list your city (or largest city near you)?

Occasional Sage
2009-04-24, 09:44 AM
Both of these are attempts to defraud you. The second is simply more savvy. Don't trust either. I've seen A LOT of these fraud attempts in my job (I'm a banker) when clients want to be reassured that something too good to be true is on the level; both these guys wave huge red flags on their way in.

If you're unwilling to simply not respond, make whatever excuse ("local sales only" is good) you need to, and get rid of them.

Raiser Blade
2009-04-24, 11:14 PM
They're both scams.

Jimp
2009-04-25, 11:33 AM
The second one is definite scam. Someone tried it on me while trying to sell my car. Ignore it!

Moff Chumley
2009-04-25, 11:39 AM
Remember, never trust a Canadian Sicilian when cash DEATH is on the line!

EmeraldRose
2009-04-25, 01:06 PM
You mean, you don't believe it's just some random guy who wants to buy your (MUSICAL INSTRUMENT), and overpay you for the (ITEM)? :smallamused:

I think it's totally believable...

Actually, I wouldn't trust either, simply based on the fact that both have places that are clearly a sort of fill-in-the-blank.

Neko Toast
2009-04-26, 05:32 PM
I got another one while I was gone over the weekend.

Title: Intrested in your musical Intrument!!!

Hello Seller
My name is Donald i came across this Item on the site and i am willing to purchase it , but i will like you to ge back to me the present condition and the last price offer and who was the first owner of the item .. including your payment terms. For me i pay in Bank certified check if okay with this .Kindly get back to me with all this details and your information in which i can make payment too
Such as your
Full Name
Full Home Address
Phone#

Regards
Awaiting your soonest reply

:smallsigh: I'm never gonna sell this thing.

EmeraldRose
2009-04-26, 05:34 PM
But think of the hours (minutes at least) of enjoyment you'll have reading the 'offers'. :smallbiggrin:

onasuma
2009-04-27, 01:33 AM
Please bait them, just for me?