PDA

View Full Version : Agyrica: Homebrew World.

Shiro
2006-08-10, 11:44 PM
So for the past nine years, I've been working on these ideas for a homebrew world. Whether this turns out to be a novel, a game or what, I don't know. But I figured, given the size of the place, I might post some of my ideas, in the hopes of getting opinions and suggestions.

Now, I've been burned in the past by posting my ideas online - things I've created have been stolen and used for monetary profit. So you'll forgive me if I keep the details to a minimum!

Now - on with the show:

The world I've created is called Agyrica, a largely Latinate realm, created by a series of powerful beings. A little cliché, I know, but the gods are as follows:

Dolgon - god of earth. Pertains to earth, stone, metals and gems. Also the Earth, continents and creatures of earth. Also to wards and barriers.
Firos - god of fire. Also relates to heat, anger and battle.
Wei - god of wind and air. Relates to speed and messages.
Salah - god of water. Relates to rivers and lakes, as well as healing.
Zakath - god of thunder and lightnings. Relates to malicious harm.

The rest in the list are unnamed, mainly because the only places I had the list is on my PC, which is, at this moment, under repairs.

The rest are the gods of:

Light and day, literally. Also to the 'good' alignment, angelic creatures, holy warriors.
Darkness and night, again, literally, and to the 'evil' alignment. Also to trickery, demonic beings and unholy fighters.
Forests and plants, probably very literal. I need to think of something else - something more.. symbolic.
Beasts and animals, again, very literal. I also need something more symbolic to add to its representation.
Spirits. This is also very literal, speaking in general of spirit creatures.

So.. any ideas, ladies an gents? Provided you actually got through all that. ;)

Shiro
2006-08-11, 11:33 PM
Geez! Less than a day, and it gets bumped off the page!

This place IS popular. ;)

knightsaline
2006-08-12, 12:21 AM
the whole "light is good and darkness is evil" thing is really overdone. a book that I'm writing gets rid of the evil necromancer stereotype, the main male character has death as his element of magic.

whats the special thing about this world. what I mean by that is that mokst of the official D&D worlds have something different from the default. heres some examples
@ forgotten realms: high level of gods
@ ebberon : really hard to cast high level spells, yet "low" magic is used every day (streetlamps with continual light cast on them)
@ dragonlance: not sure about its special thing, possibly no huge wizard wars, due to the wizards having to keep the balance of magic. also, no sorcerers untill after the summer of chaos
@ ravenloft: two words, gothic horror. i own the book "knight of the black rose" which is about krynns favorite death knight, lord soth
@ spelljammer: gave players the oppotunity to go to the other settings, while using the same characters (couldn't go to ravenloft, as its a demiplane)

Matthew
2006-08-12, 09:19 AM
What kind of input are you looking for? There's not really too much here to go on.

Shiro
2006-08-13, 12:05 AM
the whole "light is good and darkness is evil" thing is really overdone. a book that I'm writing gets rid of the evil necromancer stereotype, the main male character has death as his element of magic.

whats the special thing about this world. what I mean by that is that mokst of the official D&D worlds have something different from the default.

Maybe I should have mentioned, whoops! I actually plan on bringing updates as to my development of the world. I'm just getting some broad opinions on things I ask opinions for, so I can fine-tune it all.

As for what makes this world special, there's plenty. This is just an early stage of development.

Matthew
2006-08-15, 06:43 PM
Seems like the typical array of D&D style Gods. I look forward to your updates.

Fax Celestis
2006-08-15, 06:57 PM
Please don't tell me you're going to go with the stereotypical races. Be inventive and don't copy Tolkien the way most of D&D has.

knightsaline
2006-08-15, 07:52 PM
Please don't tell me you're going to go with the stereotypical races. Be inventive and don't copy Tolkien the way most of D&D has.

i agree with you there. i want to see a setting where orcs are good. if you need an example of good orcs, read the sovereign stone series by margaret weis. there, orcs are a seafaring race (tying in with their element, water)

Shiro
2006-08-15, 10:19 PM

Please don't tell me you're assuming, based on what little information I've provided, that I plan to do anything 'stereotypical' whatsoever?

i agree with you there. i want to see a setting where orcs are good. if you need an example of good orcs, read the sovereign stone series by margaret weis. there, orcs are a seafaring race (tying in with their element, water)

Actually, the way I'm designing things, everything is going to be a little different. I pondered the sea-faring thing for orcs, but was informed that the idea was already used in the Weis books. Which is annoying, because a few of my ideas copy, unintentionally, some other sources, without my even realising it.

Fax Celestis
2006-08-16, 12:26 PM
I'm not assuming anything, which is the reason I asked.

BakerOfBedlam
2006-08-16, 05:01 PM
I like it, myself. I'd need to see more to give more input, though.

On the stuff you do have in there, I'd just suggest you not turn the gods into a kind of Elemental Rock-Paper-Scissors*. E.g., Salah hates Firos, Dolgon hates Wei, and Zakath just kind of hangs out in the living room eating day-old pizza.

I'd also consider 'zipping' the "Forests and plants" god(dess) with the "Beasts and animals" one, unless there's some reason why they shouldn't. I can certainly see conflict between these two, myself. You could put something about fertility or the cylic nature of... well, nature, into either of those, also.

*http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ElementalRockPaperScissors