PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Things you just can't (or shouldn't) go without!

Deth Muncher
2009-04-23, 07:50 PM
So, I've got to know, what're some things that an adventuring party just SHOULDN'T be without? And I don't mean the 10ft. pole. I mean, yes, it's a boon in those odd occasions that you need one, like...poking stuff, but what about stuff that actually keeps you alive? I don't know where this is from, but there's always the Survivor's Backpack, which basically provides enough stuff for a party of 5 to survive each day. And then there's the cheesy Handy Haversack trick: Take one HH and fill it with water, and take another and fill it with trail rations. You'll be set forever. My thoughts also turn to the Decanter of Endless Water, although it's a bit pricey, and you could just go with the Everfull Canteen (or whatever its name actually is) in Sandstorm.

So what're your thoughts?

chiasaur11
2009-04-23, 07:54 PM
Ring of sustenance. Replaces food.

Iron rations: Old school version of the same thing.

Bags of holding, for loot.

Disposable minions, for traps and emotional investment.

Assassin89
2009-04-23, 08:04 PM
Well my group has some magical spoons that produce food and decanters of Endless Water. Each member usually gets a backpack, a waterskin, and two weeks of rations.

Jack_Simth
2009-04-23, 08:05 PM
At 2nd level and higher: A potion of Invisibility (even if you can cast it yourself, you want to have one handy).

At 5th level and higher: A method of flight (a few Potions of Fly at low levels, Wings of flying, Boots of Flying, a Flying Carpet, or some such at higher levels).

At 10th level and higher: A method of going from A to C without going through B (teleportation effects - anything from a Cape of the Monteback to Boots/Helm of Teleportation).

Bluebeard
2009-04-23, 08:25 PM
A 2.5 x 5 ft. terrycloth sheet. Of course.

holywhippet
2009-04-23, 08:40 PM
Scrolls/potions/wands to cover all the different ailments. You don't want to be a dungeon with all your buddies turned to stone with no way of countering it short of loading them into a bag of holding and hiking back to the nearest temple.

MeklorIlavator
2009-04-23, 08:44 PM
Some method of healing, preferably not one relying on another character. By this I mean stuff like the Healing Belts and Blessed bandages. Healing belts are for incombat healing if you really need it, Blessed bandages are so that if your healing belt is used up, the guy how gets dropped isn't screwed.

An extra dagger. There's always the chance that your weapon will be smashed, or lost. Or maybe you'll simply be unable to use it at the moment. Still, if that happens, you'll have a dagger. This includes character who use unarmed attacks, as sometimes you just don't want to touch what ever's over there. Or perhaps you don't want to be right next to it, in which case the range of the dagger, while not great, is better than that of your hand.

Nohwl
2009-04-23, 08:48 PM
well, you really shouldn't go without the rest of the party. even if it is a bunch of monks, thats a few hits you might not take.

InaVegt
2009-04-23, 08:50 PM
Eternal wands of cure <x> wounds.

Myrmex
2009-04-23, 08:52 PM
Extradimensional space, lantern oil, and alchemist fire. Sometimes you just need a whole lot of fire.

Thurbane
2009-04-23, 09:14 PM
Scrolls/potions/wands to cover all the different ailments. You don't want to be a dungeon with all your buddies turned to stone with no way of countering it short of loading them into a bag of holding and hiking back to the nearest temple.
Keoghtom's Ointment and Stone Salve are good for this, if very pricey...

Rhiannon87
2009-04-23, 09:39 PM
I second the vote for potions. Being able to deal with a variety of ailments is good, as is being able to give yourself just enough hit points to survive the AOO when you haul ass away from the monster that's beating the crap out of you and the cleric won't be able to reach you before it attacks again. Sadly, few other members of my group recognize the wisdom of this, and frequently die and/or beg me for potions. Jerks.

Fishy
2009-04-23, 09:46 PM
The Magic Item Compendium also has the Endless Rations and the Everfull Mug for really quite cheap. Serves your food needs a lot more efficiently than rings of sustenance or survival bags.

Plus, you know, infinite beer.

Wizzardman
2009-04-23, 09:48 PM
Quaal's Feather Token (Tree).

The one item you never want to be without.

I've killed vampires with my QFTT. I've destroyed airships with my QFTT. I've blocked charges with my QFTT. I've made bridges out of my QFTT. I've climbed walls with my QFTT. I've made walls out of QFTTs. I've even made cohorts out of QFTTs.

Chronos
2009-04-23, 09:49 PM
The entire mundane equipment list, except for a ten-foot pole. Even at first level, the cost is negligible, and you can find a use for all of it, in the right situation. If you don't have a Handy Haversack to carry it all in, then buy a mule, too. Worst case scenario, the mule runs off during battle, and you have to spend about 50 gold to replace the stuff you lost.

I make an exception for the ten-foot pole because there just plain isn't any practical way to carry one of those, until you get a Portable Hole. Trust me, I know: I've done it (without the Hole, that is).

MeklorIlavator
2009-04-23, 09:50 PM
Well, the real bonus of the Ring of Sustenance is the sleeping time reduction. The other stuff is just a nice bonus.

oxybe
2009-04-23, 09:56 PM
a fisherman's gaffe:
it's basically a 10 ft pole, super deluxe edition. well, a 10 ft pole with a hook on the end. poke, prod & grab. it's generally used by fisherman in the boats to get rope/buoys/ect... floating on the water. an adventurer however... smaller 3-5 foot variants also exist.

prybar:
this should be obvious, but it also makes a great 5lbs club if need be.

iron rations:
great to have if you're pinned down and can't forage or hunt for extended periods of time.

pitons & hammer:
in addition to being great at helping you force things open, putting a sharp, hooped, metal spike into things can have it's own set of benefits. especially if rope is involved. also, roughshod armor dent removal.

map/scroll cases:
generally water-tight. you never know when you need to hold things and not get them (too) wet. note that if you punch out a hole in the bottom of a brass one (and use prestidigitation to give it a shining cleaning) and shove an everburning torch inside you get a flash light with a cover.

paper/parchment & inkA:
should be obvious, but being able to write a quick letter or map is never a bad thing. if possible get a wizard's spellbook: it might cost a little bit more (or less, depending on the volume of paper you're talking about) but you get a nice bound, empty tome that you can use to keep your notes in.

chalk, various colors:
you have NO clue how often i use this stuff to mark pressure-plates on the floor, do a quick plan on a wall or something. VERY useful.

candles:
for when you need "just a little" bit of light. or cheap sealing wax

rope:
if you don't see it's uses, go back to the farm.

needle, thread & cloth/canvas:
situational, but still nice to have if your caster can't cast mending.

sacs:
while carrying things is good, you can also use them to wrap around sharp objects so they don't accidentally pierce your bag of holding.

hand mirror:
peek around corners, check yourself for scuffs & bruises, send messages via reflecting light... again, just nice to have around.

alcohol, i suggest a good strong rum:
it can act as a quick disinfectant if your healer's kit is out of stuff and he's out of cures. also serves as a nice beverage before going to bed (a good swig of the stuff helps falling asleep, IMO) or can make you the life of the party around a campfire.

bottles & vials:
while bottles are generally used to carry an adventurer's alcohol of choice, they (along with vials) can also carry lots of other liquids & ichors. clean them before use though.

Lock & chain:
this should be an obvious one but it often goes ignored the use of a 5-foot length of chain and a good sturdy lock.

fishing net:
we started with fishing gear and we're ending with fishing gear. a good fishing net is quite strong: it needs to be able to keep living things from breaking it and escaping. using one of these to hold down your valuables in your cart is a great use, though an ingenious man could fashion himself a hammock if he wishes to.

Magic Gear:
bag of holding/handy haversack/portable hole: carry stuff. 'nuff said.

at 6400 GP, a custom wonderous item that lets you cast "rope trick" 1/day for 8 hours. VERY nice to have and it really does pay itself in the long run as you can have 8 hours of rest in your own demiplane

hat of disguise: 1800 gp. should be self-explanitory

bag of tricks: at 900gp a pop, for 7 trap trig- i mean animals... heh heh :smallredface: it's nice to have around

hand of the mage: the more expensive version of the fisherman's gaffe, mage hand at-will is VERY useful, and for 900 $ it's a steal.

gloves of prestidigitation: a custom item that for 1000gp allows a lot of nifty tricks. you'll at least always be clean and properly coiffed.

magic bedroll: 500gp for endure elements while lying in it. very nice item.

everlasting rations + replenishing skin:
enough food to feed you every day + a waterskin that refills itself every 1d4 hours. 1350 gp. this and the bedroll and you never have to leave bed. literally.

tome of worldly memory: +5 to a single knowledge check 3/day. it's like having your own magical google or wikipedia :D

lsfreak
2009-04-23, 09:59 PM
Rather than a cure potion, get it in an alchemical tooth. Swift action to activate, no AoO, gives you a little bit of health for when you really need it. Getting one with Invisibility is nice too.

Dr_Horrible
2009-04-23, 11:15 PM
I second the vote for potions. Being able to deal with a variety of ailments is good, as is being able to give yourself just enough hit points to survive the AOO when you haul ass away from the monster that's beating the crap out of you and the cleric won't be able to reach you before it attacks again. Sadly, few other members of my group recognize the wisdom of this, and frequently die and/or beg me for potions. Jerks.

You mean giving you the extra HP for the AoO you get from trying to drink a potion? I have a better idea. Don't waste your standard action giving them an AoO and use the withdraw maneuver.

bosssmiley
2009-04-24, 05:49 AM
Henchmen and hirelings
Someone has to drag your hideously scorched, mangled and violated carcass out of the dungeon and towards the nearest temple of Our Lady of the Holy Triage. :smallwink:

Jimbob
2009-04-24, 06:21 AM
Any ranged weapons.
Been caught out a few times becuase I could not afford one.

Cheesegear
2009-04-24, 06:55 AM
iron rations:
great to have if you're pinned down and can't forage or hunt for extended periods of time.

Iron Rations is people!

...But, really. I can't contribute anymore to this thread.

Chineselegolas
2009-04-24, 07:24 AM
Something adamantine. Even just a single arrow. If the rogue has trouble with the iron doors lock, improvised dagger to cut around the lock bypassing the hardness of the iron rather than having to bash through.

Fizban
2009-04-24, 07:32 AM
Someone should total up the price and weight of all the mundane equipment in all the books. All the books. And grandfather in the Arms and Equipment Guide. With a separate total for consumable items. Then you can just buy in units of 1-2 of everything with 3-5 charges of everything else.

That's a lot of problem solving.... You know, if that's within the limit for a wish, or god forbid, the marvelous pigments, that would be awesome. "I wish for one of everything, no, make that two of everything, and a magic sack to carry it in!"

Kaiyanwang
2009-04-24, 07:37 AM
10 feet pole.

Telonius
2009-04-24, 07:45 AM

I see what you did there. :smallcool:

Dragonsdoom
2009-04-24, 08:26 AM
11 Foot collapsible pole. You can never be too careful.
Tongs. Just the thing for that robe of the evil arch-magi, or the tome of you-can't-understand-me-ngah-ngah .
Gravel. Perfect thing for illusions, mimics and all sorts of other things. Just grab a piece and chuck it. If it falls through you will too, and if it sticks you stab it.
Earplugs. Siren song? What?
Marbles. Work like gravel or subdual caltrops in a pinch, come in handy to barter for freedom and treasure and such with chaotic creatures.
Magnet. Very important when used in conjunction with the pole and the twine, can be used to fish for things in difficult places.
Three Daggers. One is Silver, One is Cold Iron and the last one is the one you will use most, MW Mithral. Mithral is the second strongest material in the game and also comes at about one sixth(500gp or so) of the price of adamantine(3000 or so). Use this dagger to do everything you would normally do with a adamantine dagger, but it saves money for lower level adventurers.

I originally came up with this list for one of my rogues at 4th level:
Gear: MW Dwarven Warpike 345gp, MW Chain Shirt 250gp, Warhammer 12gp,
Longbow 75gp, 60 Arrows 3gp, Sap 1gp, Spiked Gauntlet 5gp,
Five daggers(two silver) 10gp,
[701gp, 56lbs.]

MW Thieves' Tools 100gp 2 lbs, Flint & Steel 1gp,
Bedroll 1sp 5lbs, Map Case(Entirely filled with small bright rocks) 1gp,
Chalk x10 1sp, Crowbar 2gp 5lbs, Fishhook x10 1gp, 3 Flasks 9cp 4lbs,
Grappling Hook 1gp 4lbs, Mirror, Small Steel 10gp, Pitons x10 1sp 5lbs,
4 Rations 2gp 4lbs, Rope, Silk 50' x2 20gp 10lbs,
Sewing Needle x2 1gp, Signal Whistle 8sp,
Vials x10 10gp 1lbs, Waterskin 1gp 4lbs.
[153gp, 56lbs.]

Acid X4 40gp, Sunrod x3 6gp, Tindertwig x5 5gp, Spellbook, Wizard's 15gp.
[66gp, 10lbs.]

Collapsible Pole 20gp, Flour Pouch x5 5sp, Listening Cone 8sp, Magnet 20gp,
Rubber Ball x3 9gp, Iron Spike x10 1gp, Acid Neutralizer x3 150gp,
Superior Hacksaw 20gp, 50' Twine 1sp, Lockslick, Can 180gp, Glass Cutter 2gp,
Earplugs 3sp, Shriek Rock x2 6gp, Tongs 3gp, Marbles 2gp.
[413gp, 28lbs.]

{4060gp, 150lbs.}
But sadly I could not carry 150 Lbs of gear without magical storage, and I could not get magic storage and goggles of search, so I decided better to be alive and able to carry some loot out than be dead and able to carry all the loot out.

kladams707
2009-04-24, 08:31 AM
Duct tape and a hammer. That's all you really need.

chiasaur11
2009-04-24, 10:29 AM
Duct tape and a hammer. That's all you really need.

And WD-40, if it's been invented.

oxybe
2009-04-24, 11:12 AM
decanter of grease :smallbiggrin:

Tukka
2009-04-24, 05:25 PM
I don't know where this is from, but there's always the Survivor's Backpack, which basically provides enough stuff for a party of 5 to survive each day. And then there's the cheesy Handy Haversack trick: Take one HH and fill it with water, and take another and fill it with trail rations. You'll be set forever. My thoughts also turn to the Decanter of Endless Water, although it's a bit pricey, and you could just go with the Everfull Canteen (or whatever its name actually is) in Sandstorm.
The field provision's kit (MIC 160) provides enough food/water everyday for 15 humans (or 5 horses). A bargain at 2,000 gp.

Zhalath
2009-04-24, 06:13 PM
A source of the daylight spell. You never know when denizens of the dark that don't like bright light will come around.

Dungeonscape advises bringing an adamantine dagger, to cut through hard substances.

Crowbar: tool, weapon, best friend.

If you can afford it, something that casts Mordenkainen's disjunction. Break that magic!

Yuki Akuma
2009-04-24, 06:21 PM
A Portable Hole, a Spool of Endless Rope or two, a Decanter of Endless Water, a Bottle of Air and two Immovable Rods will allow you to overcome any obstacle.

I'm serious.

Godskook
2009-04-24, 06:39 PM
A Portable Hole, a Spool of Endless Rope or two, a Decanter of Endless Water, a Bottle of Air and two Immovable Rods will allow you to overcome any obstacle.

I'm serious.

But how do you get the rods there?

Yuki Akuma
2009-04-24, 06:55 PM
But how do you get the rods there?

...They have on/off switches.

Siosilvar
2009-04-24, 07:31 PM

I'm serious.

Decanter of Endless Water: "It's like a fire hose in a Coke bottle."

Yuki Akuma
2009-04-24, 07:38 PM
Oh no, I repeated someone.

The horror.

VirOath
2009-04-24, 08:57 PM
Shackle/manacles. Yes, I'm dead serious. And carry multiple pairs. They not only function as hand cuffs, they also can serve as disguises and even as a quick chain and lock. I've gotten alot of use out of them (And yes, I know, for our more perverted members :smalltongue:)

As well, CWI abuse. Putting level 0 spells into something is uber cheap. A Marble with detect magic will glow when it's held near something magical. Add a sling and a person with a good ranged to hit (Or socket it into the end of an arrow and use a basic bow) and you've got a long ranged detect magic that normally won't trigger anything.

And that's just the first step on my list. As before, the entire list of mundane gear, it will come into use (Portable Rams, gotta love them). And a 3 piece staff, if you can get one. Quarterstaff/10ft-pole with a hook on the end.

The list goes on, if you are creative.

(Including Decanter of Endless water plus the (whatever prodives limitless air), a few tubes, a pressure nozzle and a feeder for ground up rock. You got yourself a powerful drill/Water Cannon.)

Chronos
2009-04-24, 09:40 PM
Oh, one I forgot to mention, which isn't mentioned in any book, but has no cost and almost no weight: A handful of burrs. You know, those dried seed things with the Velcro husk. Don't try to cast a spell against the enemy... Cast the spell on a burr (which has no saving throw), and stick the burr to his clothes (or fur, or hair, or whatever), which only takes a touch attack.

Trodon
2009-04-25, 12:14 AM
Oh, one I forgot to mention, which isn't mentioned in any book, but has no cost and almost no weight: A handful of burrs. You know, those dried seed things with the Velcro husk. Don't try to cast a spell against the enemy... Cast the spell on a burr (which has no saving throw), and stick the burr to his clothes (or fur, or hair, or whatever), which only takes a touch attack.

OMG!! that's genius

Tinderwig: 1gp each i'v set a lot of camps on fire with those

oil with the tinderwigs: its a d6 fire damage with a ranged touch attack

Vortling
2009-04-25, 12:25 AM
Oh no, I repeated someone.

The horror.

And I'll repeat you. Immovable rods. Two at least.

Magnor Criol
2009-04-25, 01:50 AM
Eternal wands of cure <x> wounds.

I'm actually going to contest this.

Eternal wands are very nifty items, but I've found that our party has need for more than just two Cure spells per day. You could get multiple Eternal Wands, but honestly, just get a normal wand. 50 charges lasts you long enough that you'll be able to buy or make another one before you run out.

Eternal Wands of the little utility spells, though - now we're talking. All those nice little low-level spells that you don't want to bother preparing, and are only situationally useful - but that you regret not preparing in those certain situations.

Also, use Eternal Wands for the spells that almost by definition you only use once or twice per day. Alarm, for instance.

Waspinator
2009-04-25, 05:13 AM
Basically, if there's a utility spell you're always using, buy an eternal wand of it so you can free up the slot for something else. That's what eternal wands basically are: extra low level spell slots.

Songlander
2009-04-25, 05:29 AM
Something I've found useful: An steel, lead-lined box. Sure, it'll probably be heavy, but that's what Tanks are for, right?
Any of those little magical baubles you are suspicious about but always seem to get picked up when adventuring e.g. those little plot-device magic keys or statuettes of dead gods or whatever? Put it straight into the box. Detect magic/evil/whatever won't work, it isn't amongst your more precious stuff in your <extradimensional carrying space>, if it has a nasty magic effect the lead'll probably block it, if there's a nasty "physical" effect the steel will block it.

Kobold-Bard
2009-04-25, 07:34 AM
I know someone has already mention the 'Tree' Feather token, but one musn't forget the Swan Boat token either. Especially when you where full plate, but no ranks into swim and get left behind because the casters are d!cks.

Also as long as you're not wearing a Con-boosting item already, a potion of Bear's Endurance won't go amiss. Bring someone back from negatives with those bonus 2 hit points, sooner or later someone always gets poisoned, or just in case you absolutely need to win that drinking contest. Con also dictates how long you can last in the sack, making it like a little bottle of viagra.

SilverClawShift
2009-04-25, 08:12 AM
Backpack
ROPE ROPE ROPE
Grappling Hook
Bundle of Chalk
Bundle of Candles
More Rope
A covered lantern of any kind
A few pints of oil
Collapsible Pole
Shovel
Crowbar
Waterskin and Food Rations
Even more Rope
And it never hurts to have a steel mirror in a protective pouch. Good for signaling, checking around corners, and identifying possible vampires.

If you're a group that does more roleplaying as well, you should also snag yourself some ink, parchment, sealing wax, and most importantly, a Signet Ring.

That's all cheap stuff. When you start having more funding available to you, you should also start carrying around various lengths of chain, Padlocks, and manacles.

The list can just keep going on and on too, it's best for everyone to carry copies of the most important stuff, and split up the oddball gear amongst everyone.

Graymayre
2009-04-25, 08:22 AM
Backpack
ROPE ROPE ROPE
Grappling Hook
Bundle of Chalk
Bundle of Candles
More Rope
A covered lantern of any kind
A few pints of oil
Collapsible Pole
Shovel
Crowbar
Waterskin and Food Rations
Even more Rope
And it never hurts to have a steel mirror in a protective pouch. Good for signaling, checking around corners, and identifying possible vampires.

If you're a group that does more roleplaying as well, you should also snag yourself some ink, parchment, sealing wax, and most importantly, a Signet Ring.

That's all cheap stuff. When you start having more funding available to you, you should also start carrying around various lengths of chain, Padlocks, and manacles.

The list can just keep going on and on too, it's best for everyone to carry copies of the most important stuff, and split up the oddball gear amongst everyone.

I agree with this. Mundane items are an adventurer's best friend. They are never influenced by anti-magic. I still use all of the mundane stuff I bought at first level. :smallbiggrin:

However, I think a towel should be added to the list.

mighty mazar
2009-04-25, 10:59 PM
a tanglefoot bag is a great piece of gear for running away like a lil girl when things go south fast

lesserarchangel
2009-04-26, 11:28 AM
Once there is enough cash around, I'm very fond of 'dust of sneezing and choking'. If the enemy _breathes_ and you set one of those off within twenty feet of them, they are _automatically_ stunned for 5d4 rounds. It's expensive, but it beats a boss fight.

IronBear
2009-04-26, 11:45 AM
healing belt from the Magic Item compendium
Cost = 750GP
4d8 healing 1x per day; or
2d8 healing 1x/day + 3d8 healing 1x/day; or
2d8 healing 3x/day
*and*
+2 Comp Bonus to Heal skill checks.

Activation is a swift action and provokes no attack of opportunity so it can be activated in the middle of an encounter by…anyone.

Means the party cleric can do something besides be a walking band-aid box

MeklorIlavator
2009-04-26, 01:01 PM
Uhh, the activation is standard(command), not swift. Still, it's a very useful item that I generally have on my builds.

Kobold-Bard
2009-04-26, 01:17 PM
I personally recommend a handful of Shards from the Expanded Psionics Handbook. They give you a one time +1 to +10 on a particular skill. Not for general use, but for things like Open Lock where another +3 might make the difference between success and failure.
And as a bonus from a distance you look pretty impressive with what could be a dozen Ioun Stones floating around you.

Seatbelt
2009-04-26, 01:37 PM
As of last night a nonmagical masterwork weapon. My DM homebrewed a golem with immunity to magic, DC 40/nonmagic weapons, and 50 HP. That thing was a beast to take out. We ended up encasing it in a wall of stone and running away.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-04-26, 01:41 PM
As of last night a nonmagical masterwork weapon. My DM homebrewed a golem with immunity to magic, DC 40/nonmagic weapons, and 50 HP. That thing was a beast to take out. We ended up encasing it in a wall of stone and running away.Hence, Daggers. Everyone needs one.

JonestheSpy
2009-04-26, 02:02 PM

Ideally, the terrycloth sheet should be striped or otherwise color-coded so you can easily tell which corner has been soaking in the healing potion.

Kris Strife
2009-04-26, 07:24 PM
Rope. You will always have use for rope.

chiasaur11
2009-04-26, 07:25 PM
And, of course, a towel.

tyckspoon
2009-04-26, 07:37 PM
As of last night a nonmagical masterwork weapon. My DM homebrewed a golem with immunity to magic, DC 40/nonmagic weapons, and 50 HP. That thing was a beast to take out. We ended up encasing it in a wall of stone and running away.

Acquire an adamantine dagger at first opportunity. (On looking back upthread, I see this has been mentioned.) Not only does it cover those weird situations where you absolutely have to have a nonmagical weapon, the ability to penetrate hardness of most substances has quite a few uses. Before you can afford that, everybody should be carrying around a basic dagger and a club and/or quarterstaff. Especially the club and quarterstaff, seeing as how basically everybody can use them and they're free.

If all that fails, get your spellcaster to pop a Dispel Magic on your weapon. Now it's nonmagical for 1d4 rounds, which should be enough time to beat down something with only 50 hp.