PDA

View Full Version : [3.0] Help! Covering party holes

SemiteLock
2009-04-24, 02:44 AM
My friends and I are starting a new 3.0 (note: not 3.5 at all, pure 3.0) campaign. ECL 14, limited LA +2. We have a monk, barbarian and cleric, so we are seriously lacking in the arcane power and skill monkey roles. Any suggestions? Id like to try and keep it LA +0 as well, cause I have a feeling Im going to be covering the arcane role.

Bluebeard
2009-04-24, 04:02 AM
Well, the obvious choice is Wizard. Slap on a heavy dose of Mage of the Arcane Order or Incantrix and call it a day. Or go Rogue 3/Wizard 5/Arcane Trickster, if skills are a big deal.
Here's (http://forums.gleemax.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-165134) the old Wizard's handbook. It's mostly 3.0, even if it has a little bit of 3.5 dabbled into it.
It's archived, but still might be worth the extra hassle of reading it.
[edit: looking back at it, this isn't written with 3.0's rapidly-scaling HP in mind. Most of the ideas are solid, but take its tendency toward direct damage with a grain of salt.
There are a couple threads discussing better strategies for 3rd edition casters. This (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104002) is the most popular on this board. 3.5, but its ideas hold solid.]

But I want to say Bard. It's self-contained with skills and spells. Not up to snuff with the Wizard as an Arcane caster, but D&D isn't a competition.
Here's (http://forums.gleemax.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-140225) the old 3.0 Bard's Handbook (again annoyingly archived).

Sorry that I don't have much of my own to add, but it's been a while since I've played 3.0.

SemiteLock
2009-04-24, 01:19 PM
Thanks, I was thinking the Arcane trickster route. The guys I'm playing tend to power game, but usually like to screw around, so I probably will have to take up both roles.

Anyone have any other useful tips?

tcrudisi
2009-04-24, 02:17 PM
Don't forget about the Beguiler, provided you can swing him in. I think the Beguiler was technically printed in a 3.5 book. Someone else can say for sure (I've switched to 4e and haven't looked back).

However, the Beguiler is an arcane caster with full progression that casts mostly enchantment and illusion spells, but gets skill points like a Bard/Rogue with a similar skill list. Imagine taking the Wizard and Rogue class skill list and mixing them together. So you'll have full arcane casting progression coupled with the skill monkey that you will also need. Fun times all around!

SemiteLock
2009-04-24, 02:34 PM
Don't forget about the Beguiler, provided you can swing him in. I think the Beguiler was technically printed in a 3.5 book. Someone else can say for sure (I've switched to 4e and haven't looked back).

However, the Beguiler is an arcane caster with full progression that casts mostly enchantment and illusion spells, but gets skill points like a Bard/Rogue with a similar skill list. Imagine taking the Wizard and Rogue class skill list and mixing them together. So you'll have full arcane casting progression coupled with the skill monkey that you will also need. Fun times all around!

Hmmm interesting. I'll talk to the DM, he probably wont care (he made a DMPC named tik-tik who is a drunken brawler, so somehow i dont think it will be an issue from him) Thanks a lot tc!

Thorin
2009-04-24, 03:00 PM
Beguiler is form Player´s Handbook 2, and indeed is from 3.5

Maybe you can adjust the idea so the character is usable en 3.0.

Good luck!