PDA

View Full Version : [4e]PHB 3: The Wilden

NPCMook
2009-04-24, 04:19 AM
http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20090420

Looks interesting, its a redesign of the Killoren from Races of the Wild in 3.5.

They have 3 Racial powers, which are only accessible through their Aspect they have chosen to Manifest. Other than that, no feats, just fluff

Asbestos
2009-04-24, 02:18 PM
Looks good, but only because the Killoren played a major role in my campaign world.

Think that the rest of the races in the PHB3 will be 'new to the world'?

Hzurr
2009-04-24, 02:34 PM
Hmm...the article mentioned that one of the themes of PHB3 is an anti-far realms thing. This makes me suspect that both of the Gith races (I'm not even going to try and spell them out) would be included in the PHB3

One of the gith I remember from 3.5E had an emphasis on monks and monasteries, and since the monk was confirmed for the PHB3, this seems like it would all fit together well.

Awesomologist
2009-04-24, 02:46 PM
I'm still wrapping my head around PHB 2 classes and anticipating Divine Power. I was never a fan of the Monk, and only enjoyed Psionics when I played Dark Sun.
So finally there's a book I can do without!

Swooper
2009-04-24, 05:53 PM
Hmm...the article mentioned that one of the themes of PHB3 is an anti-far realms thing. This makes me suspect that both of the Gith races (I'm not even going to try and spell them out) would be included in the PHB3

One of the gith I remember from 3.5E had an emphasis on monks and monasteries, and since the monk was confirmed for the PHB3, this seems like it would all fit together well.
Not that I play 4E but... let's hope they don't go with their simplification fetish here and merge the gith races into one because some people can't remember which is which. That'd suck.

Also, can someone who is a subscriber please post the article? I can't read it.

Asbestos
2009-04-24, 06:09 PM
Not that I play 4E but... let's hope they don't go with their simplification fetish here and merge the gith races into one because some people can't remember which is which. That'd suck.

Also, can someone who is a subscriber please post the article? I can't read it.

I doubt they'd merge them since they are already separate races with separate stats in the MM. Shifters were too, but also recall that Shifters shared monster entries and the Gith and Zerth did not.

Well... I'll post what I can...
+2 Con/Wis.
+2 Nature/Stealth
+1 bonus to NAD of choice.
Fey Origin
Nature's Aspect: Each time you take an extended rest choose one aspect of nature (there are 3) each aspect grants a distinct encounter power.

Encounter powers:
Voyage of the Ancients: Lets you teleport as a free action after hitting an enemy with a close or area attack, you and an ally gain combat advantage against one enemy you hit with the triggering attack.

Wrath of the Destroyer: When a bloodied enemy attacks you or an adjacent ally you can, as an immediate reaction, make a melee basic or a charge attack against that enemy. On a hit the target is dazed.

Pursuit of the Hunter: When an enemy moves within 2 squares you can, as an immediate reaction, shift up to 3 squares. In addition, until the end of your next turn, all of your attacks against the triggering enemy deal an extra 1d6 damage and the enemy cannot benefit from concealment or cover.

Seems like it'd be a great race for rangers (pursuit + multi-attacks) or barbarians (wrath + howling strike or pursuit + storm of blades) or druids (for whom all of the aspects work great) or pretty much a lot of classes.

Mauril Everleaf
2009-04-24, 06:20 PM
I highly doubt that they will combine the races. There has already been an article on either the Githyanki or Githzerai (I can't remember which) and both have their own entries in the MM1 and each has their own section in the "monster races" section in the back of the manual, with different stats and racial abilities. I'm pretty sure that they will keep the two races seperate. There is too much coolness associated with the Gith feuds with each other and with the Mind Flayers.

Also, the Wilden seem pretty decent, but I am a little underwhelmed by the name. I personally would have stuck with Killoren, but that's me.

Asbestos
2009-04-24, 06:25 PM
Also, the Wilden seem pretty decent, but I am a little underwhelmed by the name. I personally would have stuck with Killoren, but that's me.

What? You don't want wrathful Wilden Wardens wielding Waraxes?

Swooper
2009-04-24, 06:26 PM
I doubt they'd merge them since they are already separate races with separate stats in the MM.
Oh, good point. As I said, I don't play 4E so I wouldn't know details like that :smalltongue:

NPCMook
2009-04-25, 02:17 AM
What? You don't want wrathful Wilden Wardens wielding Waraxes?

How about "Warforged Warlords Waging War With Warhammers?"

Nai_Calus
2009-04-25, 08:35 AM
Warped Warforged Warlord|Warlock/Wardens waging war on warhorses with warhammers and waraxes whilst whiling away at world of warcraft

WotC needs to get a new letter.

InaVegt
2009-04-25, 09:15 AM
Wilden, laaaaame name.

FYI: Wilden is Dutch for "savages", and has been used to describe, among others, native americans.

Asbestos
2009-04-25, 07:03 PM
Wilden, laaaaame name.

FYI: Wilden is Dutch for "savages", and has been used to describe, among others, native americans.

Well, that's just historical racism that means very little today. Anyway, at least it means something, where did they get Killoren from?

reaperbryan
2009-05-01, 10:44 AM
Since they have indicated a "anti-far realm" bias, will the Kalashtar/Dal'quori be making an appearance in PHB3 or Eberron, do you think?

And will we finally get Shadar Kai?

Asbestos
2009-05-01, 10:53 AM
Since they have indicated a "anti-far realm" bias, will the Kalashtar/Dal'quori be making an appearance in PHB3 or Eberron, do you think?

And will we finally get Shadar Kai?

The Kalashtar/Dal'quori seem waaay too setting specific to have anywhere but Eberron.

As for the Shadar-Kai, we already have them. They got a lot of love in a Dragon Article. However, the illusion spells in Arcane Power establish a precedence for reprinting things that have shown up in Dragon, so I guess its possible that the Shadar-Kai will be reprinted though I doubt it. Maybe they'll have a 'Races of Dragon (Magazine)' book one day with all of them in one convenient place.