PDA

View Full Version : Making those gestures a little easier (Spells)

Krimm_Blackleaf
2006-08-14, 08:57 PM
Simple Spell I
Abjuration
Level: Sor/Wiz 1
Componants: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 full round
Range: Touch
Target: one arcane spellcaster touched
Duration: 1 hour/level
Saving Throw: Will negates(harmless)
Spell rsistance: none

This spell is particularly good for arcane spellcasters who also specialize in combat and utilize armor. The caster, upon touching the target makes all thier arcane spells have slightly simpler somatic gestures. This ultimately reduces any arcane spell failure by 5% and does not stack with any other simple spell spells cast.

Material componant: a small piece of leather or steel.

Simple Spell II
Level: Sor/Wiz 2

Just as simple spell I, but reduces arcane spell failure by 10%.

Material componant: a small steel plate.

Simple Spell III
Level: Sor/Wiz 3

Just as simple spell I, but reduces arcane spell failure by 15%.

Material componant: a small steel plate.

Simple Spell IV
Level: Sor/Wiz 4

Just as simple spell I, but reduces arcane spell failure by 20%.

Material componant: a steel plate weighing at least 5 pounds.

Simple Spell V
Level: Sor/Wiz 5

Just as simple spell I, but reduces arcane spell failure by 25%.

Material componant: a steel plate weighing at least 5 pounds.

Simple Spell VI
Level: Sor/Wiz 6

Just as simple spell I, but reduces arcane spell failure by 30%.

Material componant: a steel plate weighing at least 10 pounds.

Simple Spell VII
Level: Sor/Wiz 7

Just as simple spell I, but reduces arcane spell failure by 35%.

Material componant: a steel plate weighing at least 10 pounds.

Simple Spell VIII
Level: Sor/Wiz 8

Just as simple spell I, but reduces arcane spell failure by 40%.

Material componant: a steel plate weighing at least 15 pounds.

Simple Spell IX
Level: Sor/Wiz 9

Just as simple spell I, but reduces arcane spell failure by 45%.

Material componant: a steel plate weighing at least 15 pounds.

All critique and ideas for balance welcome. Just no flaming.

MetalKelt
2006-08-14, 09:07 PM
An interesting concept. I think it could work out rather well, though at first glance it seems the higher level versions could be a tad overpowered. I think this mainly results from a long duration. This could be looked at as the follwing question: Is a 13th or higher level sorc/wiz giving up a 7th level spell slot worth being able to wear full plate without a chance of spell failure?

Or it could be rephrased with a lower armor and a lower level spell slot.

Looking at it this way, maybe reduction to duration to 1 minute/level may be too much of a nerf.

Maybe another method would be to reduce this to say, three spells of 2nd, 5th, and 8th level with some minor modifications. Nine versions may be a tad much IMHO.

NullAshton
2006-08-14, 09:14 PM
Ironically, the only person that would get any bonus out of this would be the arcane caster, and he's the only one who can cast it. And it requires a somatic component.

TheOOB
2006-08-14, 09:32 PM
The problum with this is that a method of removing sostimatic components from spells exists allready (still spell), and these spells are essentially directly better. I could imagine a spell thats a swift action that makes it so the next spell you cast doesn't have sostimatic components.

Brickwall
2006-08-14, 10:19 PM
You realize that now armor could be enchanted with this? Wizards should not go around in big armor.

Jack_Simth
2006-08-14, 11:18 PM
What about.....

Simple Spell K
Abjuration
Level: Sor/Wiz K+1
Componants: V, S, F
Casting Time: Ten Minutes
Range: Personal
Target: Self
Duration: 1 hour/level or until discharged
Saving Throw: None
Spell resistance: None

While the duration lasts, you may cast one of your spells of level K or below without somatic components; this immediately ends the spell.

You may only have one Simple Spell (of whatever level) active at any given time.

Focus: two non-magical, supple leather gloves, which must be worn for the entire duration of the spell; if the gloves are removed, by whatever means, the spell immediately ends, and is wasted.

K is just shorthand; it would be a series of spells - Simple Spell 0 (cantrips only, but hey, it's just a first level spell...) I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, and VIII

TheOOB
2006-08-14, 11:42 PM
Jack's Simple spell works, it's resource intensive and hardly ever worth it, but that should be the price you have to pay for essentially getting a metamagic effect without a metamagic feat.

kailin
2006-08-15, 11:37 AM
Yeah, Jack Smith's is the one to go with. The originals have way too much duration and make still spell a bad investment.

Simple Spell should apply to one spell only, period. It should also take a relatively high spell slot.

NullAshton
2006-08-15, 12:43 PM
Maybe you could remove the somatic component? It's kind of useless if it requires a somatic component.

Jack_Simth
2006-08-15, 06:52 PM
Maybe you could remove the somatic component? It's kind of useless if it requires a somatic component.
It's mostly meaningless for my version of the line - it takes 10 minutes to cast, so you're casting it out of combat anyway; the duration is high enough that after a short while, you simply cast it in the morning and use it when you find yourself in a sticky situation (e.g., grappling). When you're casting it in the morning, you take off your armor. Simple.

Main advantage over Still Spell being that you get to choose on the fly what spell you Still, and it doesn't increase the casting time of the selected spell, and you aren't burning a feat slot for it.

Disadvantages, of course, being:
1) 10 minute casting time
2) you can't use your glove slots for such things as Gauntlets of Dexterity
3) You burn a higher level spell slot on it than whatever you can apply it to, regardless of whether or not you end up actually using it

NullAshton
2006-08-16, 08:07 AM
Ah. Why would you want to use it, then, if it has such limited use? Just prepare a stilled dimension door or two in the morning, and you're good for grapples. Plus, especially at low levels, it lasts for the entire day(or more) until you use them... Though a problem if there's a dimensional lock effect thingie on you. But there's things to remedy that, like a Power Word Stun, or polymorph effects.

Jack_Simth
2006-08-16, 12:15 PM
Well, for one.....

Dimension Door doesn't need stilling (it's Verbal only) so that part doesn't particularly matter.

But do remember, even for a Wizard, it's not available until 7th level. And then, Dimensional Anchor is available at the same time.

Using the Still Spell feat is, of course, better for most purposes - it's designed that way - but a Wizard or Sorcerer gets considerably more spells per day than feats, pretty much regardless of level, and some builds are feat-starved; you're not commiting to a feat with the spell line.

NullAshton
2006-08-16, 12:27 PM
I still see no use in it. One feat for still spell is nothing much.