PDA

View Full Version : Tweenbots!

Anuan
2009-04-24, 09:18 AM
Who the hell knows what a Tweenbot is?

www.tweenbots.com/

These happy little bumbly robot dudes are awesome AND adorable, much like myself :smallbiggrin:
This experiment gives me faith in the human race. Seriously, so damn awesome. Theres a video that takes AGES (for me =/) to load but is totally worth it.

banjo1985
2009-04-24, 09:31 AM
I want one and that's the end of it!

They really are cute, I'd use it to entertain the cat...if I had a cat...or a little cardboard robot...:smalleek:

thubby
2009-04-24, 09:34 AM
faith in humanity +1

Felixaar
2009-04-24, 09:52 AM
Robots giving you faith in humanity.

...:smallconfused:??

They are pretty nifty little buggers though. Could use some bright colours.

Ashen Lilies
2009-04-24, 09:55 AM
Fools! Don't you see!? This is just part of their evil plan to enter our good graces so that their eventual world conquest is quick and efficient. Bloody revolutions are so 1990s.

But seriously. Awesome. With a capital 'A' and everything. And not just because it was at the beginning of a sentence.

thubby
2009-04-24, 09:55 AM
Robots giving you faith in humanity.

...:smallconfused:??

They are pretty nifty little buggers though. Could use some bright colours.

people willing to take time out of their day to help something, for no benefit, no thanks, no nothing, gives me faith in humanity. even if they're just helping a cardboard box on wheels.

averagejoe
2009-04-24, 09:57 AM
I wonder what would happen if the robots were less cute, or even if the "mouth" line was straight instead of smiley.

Art could really benefit from having more science.

Dogmantra
2009-04-24, 10:13 AM
They're so cute.
Also: It's quite touching that random passers-by would help a little cardboard robot.

ghost_warlock
2009-04-25, 02:57 AM
I wonder what would happen if the robots were less cute, or even if the "mouth" line was straight instead of smiley.

Art could really benefit from having more science.

Or what if it had a frown with "sad" eyebrows.

Or had a sadistic, toothy grin.

Or wore bunny ears.

Or wore a tiny sports uniform of some sort, possibly of a rival team (assuming experiments with the robots in different cities as well).

Or if it had a tape player inside it so it'd frequently say "buggrit," "millenium hand and shrimp," and occasionally cough loudly.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-04-25, 03:51 AM
I think the robots look pretty awesome, and hearilty approve of the idea of experimenting on our Fellow Human Beings.

The "Please Call my Family" robots should be crying, though.

Ascension
2009-04-25, 04:03 AM
Or what if it had a frown with "sad" eyebrows.

Or had a sadistic, toothy grin.

Or wore bunny ears.

Or wore a tiny sports uniform of some sort, possibly of a rival team (assuming experiments with the robots in different cities as well).

Or if it had a tape player inside it so it'd frequently say "buggrit," "millenium hand and shrimp," and occasionally cough loudly.

My theory is that it would turn out that each separate community has a different cuteness threshold... a different breaking point. How cute a robot has to be in order to be aided in New York is probably different from how cute the same robot would have to be in... Dayton. Or Philadelphia. Or Atlanta. Or Pittsburgh.

We need swarms of Tweenbots in every city in America. And their cuteness needs to be measured on a rigorously scientific scale. And the reactions to them should be compared equally rigorously. We need to time intervals between course corrections. We need to measure total travel time. We need to measure... everything. It's the only way to advance the science of cuteness! Err... It's the only way to truly determine at what point humanity will come to the aid of needy objects!

We then need to do a follow up study to see how the same communities respond to animals of varying cuteness, then how they respond to people of varying cuteness. I bet you there would be three different leaders... a city most responsive to needy objects, a city most responsive to needy animals, and a city most responsive to needy people.

EDIT: We'll call it the point of empathy, or PoE. Each community is studied to determine its Object PoE, its Animal PoE, and its Human PoE.

You know the real shame? I bet you dollars to doughnuts the Human PoE would be worse than the Object PoE in a lot of communities. Substitute a shambling drunken homeless man for a Tweenbot, even an ugly Tweenbot, and I bet he'll get a lot less help.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2009-04-25, 06:20 PM
Ascension has an awesome-rant.

Tweenbots wins though.

Kaelaroth
2009-04-25, 07:27 PM
I like them much.

Lupy
2009-04-25, 09:33 PM
It's great!

I'm surprised no one kicked it across the park though.

"Damn you, tiny invaders!" *punts*

Icewalker
2009-04-26, 02:28 AM
That's adorable, and also awesome. Great experiment.

Vizen
2009-04-26, 02:43 AM
Aww. I was smiling the whole time I watched that video. It's such an adorable hunk of cardboard with wheels.

Dispozition
2009-04-26, 02:52 AM
faith in humanity +1

This.

That site made my day that little bit nicer, and that's awesome.

Coidzor
2009-04-26, 03:53 AM
...@_@ For some reason I can only imagine this causing a bomb panic. Similar to those Adult Swim LED screens of the mooninites.....

Crispy Dave
2009-04-26, 03:47 PM
that was quite awesome.

Mordokai
2009-04-26, 04:09 PM
Had I the knowledge to build me a tweenbot I'd recreate the experiment first thing tommorow.

But it is pretty awesome and cute, I'll agree that much.

I also think Ascension makes some good points.