PDA

View Full Version : Chainblade [Weapon]

The Demented One
2006-08-15, 08:46 PM
Come on, I felt like statting up a ridiculous video game weapon.

{table]
NameCostDmg (S)Dmg (M)CriticalWeightType
Chainblade75 gp1d81d1019-20/x215 lbs.Piercing or Slashing[/table]
Chainblade
A Chainblade is a hybrid of a bastard sword and a spiked chain. It looks like a sword, but when swung, the blade extends into a series of bladed chain links. A Chainblade has reach, and like a spiked chain, it can be used to attack adjacent foes. You can make trip attacks with a Chainblade. If you are tripped during your own trip attempt, you can drop the blade to avoid being tripped. When using a Chainblade, you get a +2 bonus on opposed attack rolls made to disarm an opponent (including the roll to avoid being disarmed if such an attempt fails). You can use the Weapon Finesse feat to apply your Dexterity modifier instead of your Strength modifier to attack rolls with a Chainblade. Because of a Chainblade’s complexity, one must take the Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Bastard Sword) and Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Spiked Chain) feats before one can take the Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Chainblade). Feats that apply to either of the two–for example, Weapon Focus (Bastard Sword) or Improved Critical (Spiked Chain)–also apply to the Chainblade, though you gain no benefit for having the feat for more than one of the weapons. If you are wielding a Chainblade but lack the proficiency feat for it, you must wield it as a two-handed weapon and cannot use it to attack adjacent foes or make trip attempts.

martyboy74
2006-08-15, 09:28 PM
Yes! Vorpal Spike Chains FTW!

Gralamin
2006-08-15, 10:48 PM
so this is basiccaly Zabimaru from bleach? (I'd give you an image if I had one handy...)

BelkarsDagger
2006-08-15, 10:56 PM
I first expected this to be a WH:40K Chainsword. Thats your next challenge, if you so wish.

Fualkner Asiniti
2006-08-15, 11:00 PM
Hooray for Valentine stats! (That's what it is, right?)

Overlord
2006-08-15, 11:42 PM
I'm voting for this being Ivy Valentine's Weapon, from the Soul Calibur series. Ignore the other two games. :P

Just kidding.

The Demented One
2006-08-16, 08:03 AM
I'm voting for this being Ivy Valentine's Weapon, from the Soul Calibur series. Ignore the other two games. :P

Just kidding.
Success!

Any comments on the balance?

IonizedChicken
2006-08-16, 09:09 AM
Well, this essentially treats Exotic Weapon Prof (Bastard Sword) as a feat that adds +0.5 damage to spiked chains and doubles their threat range. Unlike other feats or magical effects that double the threat range of a weapon, this one stacks with everything. Consider this:

Exotic Critical
Benefit: Choose an exotic weapon you are proficient with. Double the critical threat range of the weapon. This improvement to critical threat range stacks with any other feat or magical effect.

This isn't unreasonably broken or anything, but it's definitely better than Improved Critical and stacks with it.
I know you made it to be some kind of 'super-exotic' weapon, but since DND 3.5 doesn't actually HAVE a super-exotic weapon class, it simply emulates other feats.

The Demented One
2006-08-16, 09:13 AM
Yes, but a Chainblade requires you have three proficiency feats to use it, hence, its super-exoticyness.

IonizedChicken
2006-08-16, 09:20 AM
Funny. For some reason I didn't notice that it required the Exotic Weapon Prof (Chainblade) feat as well. Disregard my comment. Since it requires more than one feat to multiply your threat range, one of which essentially does nothing, it isn't very powerful.