PDA

View Full Version : 4e- The single role party

Asbestos
2009-04-24, 06:45 PM
Inspired by the 'No defender/No leader/Outside the 'box'' threads that I've seen I propose a challenge: make a fully functioning party using only a single role (ie striker, leader, defender, controller) bonus points if you can do it using a single class or single source.

My suggestions:
Strikers: Hexhammer as the defender (great if you can retrain eldritch blast for eldritch strike, but... warlocks have the most constrained at-will choices), Dex-based sorcerer with a rat familiar as the trap/lock handler, Vestige Pact Warlock MCed into some leader class (focus on the leaderlike vestiges, like the basic one that grants def bonuses to allies and free saving throws), Thaneborn Barbarian MCed into Warlord to round out the leaderness, and a 5th striker of choice, either someone to fill in the controller role or a beastmaster ranger to provide another meatshield. Oh, and that vestige warlock (and maybe the hexhammer) might look into getting a toad familiar, 1/encounter it grants 1d8 extra hp to an ally that spends a healing surge.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-04-24, 06:57 PM
Strikers:
Persuing Avenger as your /Defender
Swashbuckler/Artful Dodger/S-K Chainfighter-style rogue as your controller.
Sorceror MC'd into Bard as a Leader
Warlock MC'd into Bard as another Leader
Ranger or Barbarian as your pure strikers. Barbarain is you want another sub-defender, Ranger for a sub-controller.

Five PCs, all roles covered, Leader hit twice for longevity.
The party will want to focus on winning initiave and getting the fight over as quickly as possible. They can NOT 'run hot' for an extended period of time.

tcrudisi
2009-04-24, 07:12 PM
I'd cheat: All 5 would be Bards and all 5 would take Combat Virtuoso.

Obviously, healing is completely covered. With the ability to multi-class into anything, I can pretty well take care of any class. The hardest part is the defender role, but considering the insane amount of healing, I don't think this will be a huge problem. Just for pure evilness, they could all take the Paladin mc that gives Divine Challenge ... then have whoever is farthest away use it on the primary target.

Damage would not be a huge issue either, since the abilty to mc at will would net things like Twin Strike ... which is perfect synergy with Combat Virtuoso (use Cha to attack, and no +str damage anyway). Just throw on some static damage enhancers, and you have yourself a party that can do everything and do it well.

Asbestos
2009-04-24, 07:18 PM
I'd cheat: All 5 would be Bards and all 5 would take Combat Virtuoso.

Obviously, healing is completely covered. With the ability to multi-class into anything, I can pretty well take care of any class. The hardest part is the defender role, but considering the insane amount of healing, I don't think this will be a huge problem. Just for pure evilness, they could all take the Paladin mc that gives Divine Challenge ... then have whoever is farthest away use it on the primary target.

Damage would not be a huge issue either, since the abilty to mc at will would net things like Twin Strike ... which is perfect synergy with Combat Virtuoso (use Cha to attack, and no +str damage anyway). Just throw on some static damage enhancers, and you have yourself a party that can do everything and do it well.

Interesting, I forgot about this. Add in the ranged weapon powers for bards from Arcane power and you have melee, short range (implement), and long range all in one party. Defender shouldn't be too hard, Valorus bard with Armor Profs and Defender powers. Obviously all of your valorous bards and probably your prescient bards are half-elves to make full use of Combat Virtuoso.

Edit: Any ideas for an all controller party? I'm thinking Staff Wizard as the closest thing to a defender, Predator Druid as the striker, and then... ???

Edit2: I forgot, tcrudisi, since you (despite cheating) were the first to propose a viable single class party, enjoy your marzipan skull :xykon:

Asbestos
2009-04-24, 08:57 PM
The all controller party.

Eladrin Staff wizard as the defender, they pick up swordmage MC and the AP feat that lets eladrin use longswords as implements for wizard powers. A defensive staff is in the off-hand. Snag endurance through Eladrin training.

Deva Invoker MCed into some leader class, they use the Int-build.

Dwarf Druid using the guardian druid build, also MCed into a leader class (cleric or shaman works fine with either of these.) Possibly picks up some armor profs.

Elven Druid with the predator druid build, this is the single target striker.

5th PC can be a lot of things, can probably have a str/con race as an invoker and boost up to plate to make another secondary defender.

TheOOB
2009-04-24, 10:38 PM
Leader is really the best option here. Leader is the hardest role for the group to go without, and all that healing and party buffs can easily make up for any abilities you are missing. Not having a striker limits damage, but you'll have lots of people boosting damage.

Asbestos
2009-04-25, 07:08 PM
That's true about leaders being the hardest to go without, but they (if things are played carefully) shouldn't be required. Everyone could just MC into leader if all else fails.

Best defender for the all controller party is probably a summoning/conjuring wizard. Has high Con for hp and the summons can make decent defenders.

erikun
2009-04-25, 09:24 PM
What, nobody has mentioned a team full of Taclords?! :smallamused:

Other than that, I'd assume a party full of Wizards or Rangers would be varied enough to make a one-class party. Wizards can AoE/trap while Rangers are both effective on ranged and melee. Then again, being my two favorite classes, perhaps I'm biased.

AgentPaper
2009-04-25, 09:40 PM
Simple but effective: 5 Avenging Paladins, all Dragonborn, each with a different breath type. Some or all will likely multi-class into warlord or cleric to get more healing and some nice support powers. For extra points, give each different color scales.

That's same race, class, and build type, at the least. What do I win? :smallbiggrin:

Thanatos 51-50
2009-04-25, 09:45 PM
Simple but effective: 5 Avenging Paladins, all Dragonborn, each with a different breath type. Some or all will likely multi-class into warlord or cleric to get more healing and some nice support powers. For extra points, give each different color scales.

That's same race, class, and build type, at the least. What do I win? :smallbiggrin:

In before I could say it.
Really, An All-Paladin party is nigh-unkillable and WILL win level-appropriate battles of attrition.

InaVegt
2009-04-25, 09:55 PM
How about this.

All dragonborn tactical warlord party.

Sure, slightly less inherently than the paladin team, but it's got healing to spare.

It also means that the party has ultimate mobility, and enough breath weapons deal with minions.

Not to mention the mobility to use those breath weapons at the best spots.

its_all_ogre
2009-04-26, 02:29 AM
i'd go with all leaders too.
taclord, inspiralord, resource-lord, melee cleric and ranged bard
the taclord, inspir-lord and resource-lord all benefit you when you action point and they all stack so, once feated up, you should really churn out the damage in that instance.
the cleric gives massive healing for when someone suddenly gets walloped and the bard is just for variety and because occasionally you get into fights with things you must ranged assault(corruption corpses for example)

Olo Demonsbane
2009-04-26, 02:04 PM
Ahh, you all took my all Paladin party before I could say it. Hit the solo with 5 divine challenges each turn and see what happens? Theres your striker power...paladins are already defenders, and leaders....and they all multiclass into wizard or something! This thing would be scary to face!

Alteran
2009-04-26, 02:11 PM
Hit the solo with 5 divine challenges each turn and see what happens?

A creature can only be under the effect of one mark at a time, which means one divine challenge.