PDA

View Full Version : [Item] Claws of the Lion

I_Got_This_Name
2006-08-14, 06:04 PM
These gloves draw their name from their materials: the actual paws from a lion. The paws are then skinned, and left with the fingerbones and claws; the fingers are then lengthened (through careful cutting and stitching of the hide) to allow normal use of the fingers.

Due to the magic of the gloves, they provide a +2 enhancement bonus to Dexterity, and improve the wearer's unarmed strikes, functioning as spiked gauntlets except that they inflict slashing damage. In the hands of a monk, they instead allow the monk to inflict slashing damage with unarmed strikes, and increase the monk's effective size by one category for purposes of unarmed damage.

They have one additional power: Three times per day, the wearer of the Claws of the Lion may make a full attack after a charge, instead of just a single attack.

Moderate Transmutation; CL 7th; Craft Wondrous Item, Cat's Grace, Haste, Magic Weapon. Market Price: 22,000 GP

Lord Iames Osari
2006-08-14, 06:47 PM
These look OK to me, but then, I don't have any other magic items handy to compare it with...

TheOOB
2006-08-14, 08:05 PM
Very nice, by making them take up the gloves of dex slot you prevent them from being overpowered.

Seems about the right price too, a +4 gloves of dex is 16k, and this is a little better.

I_Got_This_Name
2006-08-15, 12:42 AM
Well, it's equivalent to Gloves of Dex +2, plus a few other powers.

I should probably add the feats to its prerequisites.

I priced Pounce 3/day at 10,000 GP, the dex enhancement at 6,000 (4,000*1.5, secondary power of a slotted item), and the damage bonus at 6,000 (Typically this averages +1 damage, which should be about 3,000 from the Amulet of Mighty Fists; the extra thousand covers the times when it does do more damage, and then multiply by 1.5 for secondary power). Pounce is the main feature I'm worried about underpricing, because it's quite a powerful ability, and nothing else grants it.

Brickwall
2006-08-15, 01:21 AM
Hmm...

I need to make Pounce a psionic power or spell now (probably power), thanks to this inspiration.

TheOOB
2006-08-15, 02:10 AM
The item is powerful, no doubt about it, but because it takes the glove slot (and thus bars you from getting gloves of dex +4 or +6) I'd say it's balanced. If it was in a less valuable slot i would need a price increase.

Winged One
2006-08-15, 02:34 AM
Hmm...

I need to make Pounce a psionic power or spell now (probably power), thanks to this inspiration.
Already been done (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/psionicLionsCharge.htm).

I_Got_This_Name
2006-08-15, 12:39 PM
Right, right. Psionic Lion's Charge 3 times per day, command word, comes out to 4*2*1080, or 8,560 GP; if I went that route, the price would drop down to 20,560 GP.

Also, the augment for the power is phrased wierdly. For each power point you spend, all attacks you make gain a circumstance bonus equal to the number of points you spend. So, if you spend three points, all of your attacks gain 3 +3 circumstance bonuses. One could argue that they come from the same circumstance, but since that circumstance gives several bonuses, they might stack.

I think they meant that you just get one bonus, equal to the number of power points you add to the cost.

NullAshton
2006-08-15, 02:03 PM
Um, there's already claws of the leopard. It's in Complete Adventurer.

martyboy74
2006-08-15, 08:59 PM
Um, there's already claws of the leopard. It's in Complete Adventurer.
Well, since it's using Lion's Charge we'll just change that to Claws of the Lion.

I_Got_This_Name
2006-08-16, 03:09 AM
Right, right. I need to remember to go through my books to avoid name confusion.

The reason I picked Leopard was because I needed a creature with Pounce and medium size. Still, I suppose a lion's paws would be the right size.

Changing the name.