PDA

View Full Version : How do you get a song out of your head??

bilyso
2009-04-24, 08:57 PM
I have a problem. I have no strangers to love stuck in my head and it wont leave!!! Please help!

Assassin89
2009-04-24, 08:59 PM
You could always try to drown it out with a different song. Songs without lyrics might help more than songs with lyrics.

HoodedCrow
2009-04-24, 09:02 PM
a very roundabout way is to listen to it a lot my friend does this it works for her... I just fall asleep and let it be done with.

reorith
2009-04-24, 09:03 PM
i would tell you my technique to removing earworms, but the thought of you rickrolling yourself perpetually is hilarious.

Dogmantra
2009-04-24, 09:09 PM
We're no strangers to lo-ove
You know the rules, and so do I
A full commitment's what I'm thinking of,
You wouldn't get this from any other guy
I just want to tell you how I'm feeling
Gotta make you understand,

Never gonna give you up,
Never gonna let you down
Never gonna turn around
And desert you!

Never gonna make you cry
Never gonna say goodbye
Never gonna tell a lie,
And Hurt you!

We've known each other,
For so long,
Your heart's been aching but you're
Too shy to say it.
Inside we both know what's been
Going on,
We know the game
and we're gonna play it.
And, if you ask me how I'm feeling,
Don't tell me you're too
Blind to see!

Never gonna give you up,
Never gonna let you down
Never gonna turn around
And desert you!

Never gonna make you cry
Never gonna say goodbye
Never gonna tell a lie,
And Hurt you!

(* repeat)

(ooh give you up)
(ooh give you up)
(ooh give you up)
(ooh give you up)
Never gonna give
Never gonna give, (give you up)
Never gonna give
Never gonna give, (give you up)

I just wanna tell you how Im feeling
Gotta make you understand

(* repeat 3 times)
A good idea is to not open that spoiler :smallwink:

No, I jest, I find to get an annoying song out of my head, I have to listen to a less annoying song. If that fails, read a funny book, that always distracts me.

afroakuma
2009-04-24, 09:14 PM
Hit it with another one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDErgD9YNyc).

Preferably something light, peppy and irritating (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX6e7sO1ss0).

YesImSardonic
2009-04-24, 09:24 PM
Hit it with another one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDErgD9YNyc).

Preferably something light, peppy and irritating (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX6e7sO1ss0).

Am I a horrible person if I actually like Caramelldansen?

There's also this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkBlf4ZdyeA).

Logalmier
2009-04-24, 09:27 PM
Sing the Scooby-Doo theme song over and over. The only drawback is that you get it stuck in your head, and people around you wonder if there's something wrong with you.:smalltongue:

There's also this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkBlf4ZdyeA).

No, no! It's spreading! Spare me!

Starscream
2009-04-24, 09:53 PM
Sing the Scooby-Doo theme song over and over. The only drawback is that you get it stuck in your head, and people around you wonder if there's something wrong with you.:smalltongue:

Scooby is powerful, but there is no song in existence that rivals the awesome might of the DuckTales theme. For 20 years now there was been a small part of my brain that sings that song unceasingly.

It's what I think of when I try to think of nothing. When I die, I can promise you that the last thing to go through my mind will be "DuckTales! Whoohoo!"

Klose_the_Sith
2009-04-24, 10:16 PM
I always found a pair of decent headphones + high quality listening to epic music (Buckethead, Classical, Necrophagist etc.) to be capable of shutting out the rest of the world, including any song trying to claw it's way into your mind. Unfortunately there are some songs which take some serious removal, for those I personally recommend judicial application of acid, then bleach, then more acid.

LRR
2009-04-24, 10:21 PM
Pass it along to some one else? It's always worked for me :smallwink:

Felixaar
2009-04-24, 10:22 PM
The same way you get milk out of a coconut *whirls drill* form an orderly line, kiddos!

afroakuma
2009-04-24, 10:34 PM
I enjoy sticking this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyljNfQUu5A) in people's heads... it has a tendency to remove what's currently lurking there.

bookeater
2009-04-24, 10:40 PM
The same way you get milk out of a coconut *whirls drill* form an orderly line, kiddos!

Alternatively you could bang your head on a hard surface to see if it falls out.

chiasaur11
2009-04-24, 11:17 PM
Foolproof method?

Sic it on a friend. Or foe. Or innocent bystander.

Listening to the Ramones or other loud fast punk might help, though, if you're too moral for option one.

thubby
2009-04-25, 12:10 AM
sing the smurf song.

seriously.

SadisticFishing
2009-04-25, 12:40 AM
a very roundabout way is to listen to it a lot my friend does this it works for her... I just fall asleep and let it be done with.

Yep. Personally, once I know how a song goes, it goes away. Song getting stuck is my brain trying to work out the next lyric.

Berserk Monk
2009-04-25, 12:48 AM
Try a bullet. That will get the song and most of your brain out of your head.

Ascension
2009-04-25, 01:14 AM
When my dad gets a song stuck in his head he starts humming/whistling that tune from Driving Miss Daisy. This has the side effect of getting that tune from Driving Miss Daisy stuck in his head instead.

I usually just give in to the songs that get stuck in my head, because they're usually EPIC. In the event an annoying song gets stuck in my head instead I just start mentally (and/or physically) singing an EPIC song until the better song gets stuck in my head.

Recently I've been hung up on Epiphany (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLsAeWEczH4) (starts 4:50ish).

I've got to say, you get some interesting looks when you're walking down the street singing "WE ALL DESERVE TO DIE!"

Haven
2009-04-25, 01:42 AM
This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDDHHrt6l4w) could work.

Lord Seth
2009-04-25, 02:57 AM
Scooby is powerful, but there is no song in existence that rivals the awesome might of the DuckTales theme. For 20 years now there was been a small part of my brain that sings that song unceasingly.

It's what I think of when I try to think of nothing. When I die, I can promise you that the last thing to go through my mind will be "DuckTales! Whoohoo!"Haha, reminds me of the Nostalgia Critic's Top 11 Catchiest Theme Songs (http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/253-top-11-catchiest-theme-songs). Guess which got #1?

Lord_Asmodeus
2009-04-25, 02:58 AM
Listen to another song, until IT'S stuck in your head instead.

Vizen
2009-04-25, 04:32 AM
And then the Witch Doctor, he told me what to do, he told me ooh eee ooh aa aa ting tang walla walla bing bang...

X2
2009-04-25, 04:50 AM
Cloud of smoke and he appears!
The master of surprise!
Who's that cunning mind behind...!
The shadowy disguise?
Nobody knows for sure!
Bad guys are out of luck!
Cause here comes!
Darkwing Duck!

zeratul
2009-04-25, 10:13 AM
Replace it with the song "Any Way You Want it" by Europe. It works every time although I question weather this is actually better than having whatever the other song was stuck in your head.:smalltongue:

Ceska
2009-04-25, 10:47 AM
Honestly, I replace it by playing something simple on an instrument or listening to a good catchy song. Like, I don't know, Heaven and Hell. Or Pioneers Over c by Van der Graaf Generator. Or Locomotive Breath. Or 21st Century Schizoid Man.
I have a lot of songs stuck in my head. They're just all good too. Bad songs don't get in my head, they're drowned.

EmeraldRose
2009-04-25, 10:49 AM
Pass it along to some one else? It's always worked for me :smallwink:

Is it just me, or do people always tell you when they have a song stuck in their head, and then sing or hum it just enough, so that now it is also stuck in your head?

Of course, I do it to others also....

I typically find that if I get busy enough or distract myself with something, the song will go out of my head. Until, of course, I remember that I had a song stuck in my head, and it isn't anymore....and now it is....:smallsigh:

Bonecrusher Doc
2009-04-25, 11:23 AM
I'm hooked on a feelin'
High on believin'
That you're in love with me!

(ooga chaka ooga chaka...)

You're welcome.:smalltongue:

EDIT: If that doesn't work, try this:
Take a chance on me! (Take a chance, take a chance)...

Starscream
2009-04-25, 12:45 PM
Haha, reminds me of the Nostalgia Critic's Top 11 Catchiest Theme Songs (http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/253-top-11-catchiest-theme-songs). Guess which got #1?

Yeah, I officially became a fan of his after that.

Drascin
2009-04-25, 02:40 PM
Start humming Korobeinki, the theme of Tetris.

It will oust almost any song out. Problem is, you will inevitably be stuck with this one. And I have found nothing that can get it out yet. I swear that whenever I let my mind idle I always, always, always begin to hum it, and I haven't played true Tetris in seven years.

It's not powerful. No, no. What it is, is insidious. You'll notice that every day, you start thinking more of it and less of your previous earworm. And then, it will be forever with you, as a kind of low-volume background. You will be forever aware of it, and you will know that there is nothing you can do about it. And in fact, you'll notice that the more you live with it, the less you want it to leave, as it eats your brain and makes itself a place, like an illithid larva boring into your brain.

Vaynor
2009-04-25, 03:34 PM
This site (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0) has some really good tips.

Edit: This is for all of those people who DIDN'T have the song stuck in their head. :smallbiggrin:

Jack Squat
2009-04-25, 03:36 PM
Replace it with the song "Any Way You Want it" by Europe. It works every time although I question weather this is actually better than having whatever the other song was stuck in your head.:smalltongue:

Any Way You Want It is by Journey, not Europe.

Cleverdan22
2009-04-25, 05:00 PM
Only way to remove an earworm is to replace it. Banana Phone works well for me.

Icewalker
2009-04-26, 02:10 PM
Depends on a few things. When I have just a TINY bit of a song, like a few measures, stuck in my head, where the end and beginning and end loop, so that it never stops, I listen to the whole song so it stops getting stuck.

If I have a song stuck in my head that I don't want there, I listen to other music that I like, and get THAT stuck.

Llama231
2009-04-26, 05:15 PM
It's a small world...
Old Godzilla was hopping around..
Virus alert!...
[Vader's Theme] (Works for me.)
I wanna be the very best...

Ceric
2009-04-28, 12:38 AM
I wanna be the very best...

Oh gods. :smalleek: Did you have to do that?

Anyways, best way is to replace it with a song. Works best if the new song is catchy. And make sure (if possible) that the new one is less annoying than the original earworm.

bilyso
2009-05-02, 01:00 AM
I think that worked.... OH NO!!!!!!! NOT THAT SONG!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
now I have 3 songs in my head... the llama song, witch doctor, and no strangers to love!!! Everyones gonna kill me! :smalleek:

Ravens_cry
2009-05-02, 01:26 AM
What I do is play a song I like, until IT'S stuck in my head. That way if I 'hear' it, I can just snap my fingers, dance a little jig, and groove to the mental tunes.
It's like having a wetware iPod!

reorith
2009-05-02, 01:30 AM
I think that worked.... OH NO!!!!!!! NOT THAT SONG!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
now I have 3 songs in my head... the llama song, witch doctor, and no strangers to love!!! Everyones gonna kill me! :smalleek:

come with me if you want to live.

on a related note, i had hero by the verve pipe stuck in my head for about six years. it was six years between the last time i heard it on the radio and the time i harnessed the power of google :/

Alarra
2009-05-04, 12:31 AM
Usually I ignore it or listen to something else and it eventually goes away. Some songs, however, are very persistent and keep coming back no matter how many other songs you sing or distractions you give yourself. 'If I had a million dollars' did that for about a year to me back when I was in undergrad, taking it from a song I moderately liked to one I couldn't stand and had to turn off the radio whenever it came on....then I started dating Zeb and it was his ringtone. :smallsigh: .... still is.

Supagoof
2009-05-04, 01:17 PM
I usually write a parody to it. Hence why everyone here gets to read some ridiculous writings of mine. :smallbiggrin:

Though it may not always work, it still provides enough of a distraction that the original piece isn't as annoying when it's stuck in there. :smallwink:

Collin152
2009-05-04, 07:34 PM
Listen to this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2-zzmCmMVI) Unless you know Russian, it's not likely to get stuck in your head.

tyckspoon
2009-05-04, 09:54 PM
'If I had a million dollars' ....

I'd buy you a green dress! But not a real green dress, that's cruel...

Dammit. Thanks. >.<

kpenguin
2009-05-04, 10:40 PM
Easy. Go somewhere with lax medical standards and remove your primary auditory cortex. Problem solved.

shadzar
2009-05-04, 10:59 PM
First you take a hammer.
Remove your shoe if you are still wearing one.
Drop the hammer onto your foot.
If your foot falls off, then find the nearest seamstress to reattach it.

Wait. you are an undead like me right?

If NOT an undead, try singing and dancing to the song until you become exhausted and must slep and awaken with the song hopefully gone.

Generic Archer
2009-05-04, 11:09 PM
Foolproof method?

Sic it on a friend. Or foe. Or innocent bystander.

Listening to the Ramones or other loud fast punk might help, though, if you're too moral for option one.

Your saying that listening to PUNK is more moral??????
these crazy people.....
I pretty well drown it out with something better. The old standby is Stairway to Heaven as it's long enough to keep you distracted for a while, and it's also brilliant

Supagoof
2009-05-05, 01:15 AM
Or you can imagine Thog singing this song....
Nevah gonna give you up
Nevah gonna let you down
Nevah gonna run around
And desert you..."ooh sprinkles"

Nevah gonna make you cry
Nevah gonna say goodbye
Nevah gonna tell you lies
And hurt you....wit mah axe

:thog:

Malaloba
2009-05-05, 09:32 PM
Start humming Korobeinki, the theme of Tetris.

It will oust almost any song out. Problem is, you will inevitably be stuck with this one. And I have found nothing that can get it out yet. I swear that whenever I let my mind idle I always, always, always begin to hum it, and I haven't played true Tetris in seven years.

It's not powerful. No, no. What it is, is insidious. You'll notice that every day, you start thinking more of it and less of your previous earworm. And then, it will be forever with you, as a kind of low-volume background. You will be forever aware of it, and you will know that there is nothing you can do about it. And in fact, you'll notice that the more you live with it, the less you want it to leave, as it eats your brain and makes itself a place, like an illithid larva boring into your brain.

Oh no. The Tetris theme. Its true it curses you for life. Or at least a couple months

My trauma with this song begins when a couple of my friends started singing it. CONSTANTLY. Within a couple hours it got stuck in my head and wouldn't leave. The problem was, the constant mental sound of it gave me a bad headache so I begged said friends to stop singing. They agreed, but they'd keep forgetting and then I'd have to start over again. At the time it was quite painful.

As for songs stuck in your head, I live with music in my head! I have my own mental radio...with no off button...or way to change the station. Its part of band. My Ipod is a bizzare conglomeration of songs because of this.

Mostly, I can ignore whatever's playing (fyi, right now its Checkered Knights from Super Smash Bros Brawl). If its driving me nuts, I can sometimes get it out with either instrumental or a few lyrical songs (Ah, the advantage of having both band and another class that allows music midday). If that still doesn't work, I adopt the strategy of "If you can't beat 'em, sing along".*starts humming Tetris theme*

Canadian
2009-05-06, 08:13 PM
Drop by my place. I'll remove it with my shovel.

Silence
2009-05-06, 08:26 PM
Try this to get it out. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnSPPnUPyLA)

It's been stuck in my head for days. Helps if you max it out on headphones.

Warning: Explicit lyrics. Just saying.

Double edit: Never mind. That's the clean version.

Overlord Nicy
2009-05-06, 08:27 PM
Replace it with this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hLarHt6wi8) song.
Because this stuck in your head is better than any other song in your head.

Groundhog
2009-05-06, 09:46 PM
Make a dastardly plan. That always works for me.

Googlywirdo
2009-05-07, 08:24 PM
Well person I do not know and is not my brother, whenever I get a song stuck in my head I sing it to my kid brother and I feel a lot better. If you have an amazing sister you should sing it to her.:smalltongue: