PDA

View Full Version : Homebrewed campaign...

josh_mang
2006-08-11, 12:10 PM
I call it the Warring Kingdoms. I spent most of a day working on it as I ran about doing chores and what not. Comments would be deeeeply appreciated.

The Warring Kingdoms

For decades now, the kingdoms of the world had known nothing but war. The charred remains of older kingdoms provide cover for the endless combat that ravages lands known as “Bad Lands.” Over land, sea, and sometimes even sky, the kingdoms of the land ripped and tore into countless souls.

The Kingdoms:

Mosytia-The largest and most populous of all the kingdoms, Mosytia claims the lands east of the forest of amtar and south of the great wild wood. As a whole, they are fiercely patriotic and efficient. The lack of jobs for the stunning number of able-bodied men means a large army and huge tracks of farmland. Their stubborn outlook on politics has forced Mosytia to be a self-dependant kingdom with very little trade. This, however, lends many opportunities to smugglers. It is currently ruled by the sickly and old Reinhardt the Survivor, who’s son Skeld bitterly desires the throne for himself.

Loros- Loros is a land that many hold in their eye as the classic chivalrous kingdom. Its knights are legendary; it’s armies vast and proud. Children aspire to be squires for famous knights like Vegus or Charlon. But, all is not dreams and wonderful stories of valor, there is a darker side to the land of Loros. Thousands are slaves to nobles that own large tracks of lands. Men and women are bought and sold to greedy barons. Those seen unfit to serve are submitted to the “Pits,” where they will toil endlessly until death by exhaustion. It is ruled by a loud, boisterous man named Richard the Crusader. He has no sons for an unknown (though often rumored of) reason. He prefers to keep his lands secluded from the rest, though there are few weeks of the Great War where Loros’ banner does not fly in the heat of battle.

Land of the Iron Rose- Though its title is misleading, the Iron Rose is actually a city. Travelers from all over the world gather here to trade and find opportunities otherwise unheard of. Great apartments stretch into the sky, strange machines aid in building the city ever higher. Its walls are impenetrable, its armies well-stocked with mysterious weapons of terrifying power. It’s here that a smart adventurer can find business to last him a lifetime. The city does not actively participate in the Great War, as no great kingdoms may fight within the walls but that doesn’t stop them from finding heroes to help them in their struggles.

Stygia- Stygia is a land from which nightmares erupt. In the wake of the Great War, Stygia had been utterly destroyed. Nothing remains but the burned out and rotting remains of a once-great and rich kingdom of noble and terrifying warriors. The sun never rises or shines in its borders, and a freezing wind bites at the faces of travelers. Whispers nag through all hours, and one can never shake off the feeling of being watched. It is whispered that the dead do not sleep in Stygia, and they hunger for revenge against the kingdoms that took their lives.

Laokma’n Keu- Not so much a kingdom as a body of tribes, Laokma’n Keu is synonymous with the words “raider” and “barbarian.” Their lives revolve around combat, and their men never cease to thirst for it. Their women are equals in the eyes of the tribes. Their rough beliefs force them into battle after battle, proving their worth in the eyes of their bloodthirsty gods. Yet, in their strange sense of honor, they identify warriors of other lands as equals and respect them. All others, however, are fair game to their blades. The greatest warcheif among the Keu is named Bulwif, whose reputation for prowess in battle is sang all over the lands.

Sciristocratic States- The body of the most intelligent thinkers rules over the lands of many states. Their technology is amazing, and their fighters are few. Its people are rich and well-fed, happy and prosperous. Its borders are closed to many and opened only for those the lands can profit from. It is ruled by a senate, which is overseen by the Archmind, who loses identity at ascension to the position.

The Forgotten- A loose collection of brigands, deserters, and those tired of the Great War. They live in clutches outside the kingdoms of others far south in the jungles among the lizard men and other wild cultures. It is said they know secrets, and plant spies in all kingdoms to sell their information to the highest bidder. In their lands is the camp of The Face of Death, a guild of assassins that rulers have nightmares of.

The Story Thus Far

Centuries ago, the kingdom of Stygia held a secret. They had captured a relic from long ago, when another war had eaten the world. With it, the Ancestors released a demon onto the world to smite the invaders in the land. After it had, it turned its horrible wrath onto the hand that freed it. An ancient wizard blessed a blade that could unweave the beast, and the greatest champion was summoned to wield it against the demon.
After days of battle the beast was smote into the seas, the champion riding it into the afterlife. For centuries the blade was lost, until the Stygians recovered it and placed it into the Great Hall of the king.
The other kingdoms were afraid of the power they wield, as the blade could not only slay the demon, but also bring it back into the world. The descended upon Stygia and destroyed all in their path. The blade was lost as the victors argued over who would hold its power. Since that day, war has torn apart the lands and none alive can remember why they fight.
Except those in power, who guard their secrets jealously from all prying eyes. The kings scheme and plot and use their subjects as pawns in the great game for ultimate power. Or is there another secret they hide from the world?

PC Information

This world is low-magic. Spellcasters are rare and feared among the population. There is no order of wizardry; secrets are simply passed down from a wandering teacher to student. Creatures of magical nature are real, though extremely rare. Orcs and other goblinoids do wander the lands, though only in roving tribes of raiders.
Humans are the most populous of races in the land, though other races are not subject to extreme racism and hatred. Stereotypes, however, run common off the tongues of men and women.

Uber_Nerd
2006-08-11, 12:17 PM
Stygia- Stygia is a land from which nightmares erupt. In the wake of the Great War, Stygia had been utterly destroyed. Nothing remains but the burned out and rotting remains of a once-great and rich kingdom of noble and terrifying warriors. The sun never rises or shines in its borders, and a freezing wind bites at the faces of travelers. Whispers nag through all hours, and one can never shake off the feeling of being watched. It is whispered that the dead do not sleep in Stygia, and they hunger for revenge against the kingdoms that took their lives.

Sounds like the mournland, I think.

martyboy74
2006-08-11, 12:22 PM
Are the "Bad Lands" anywhere near the Dakotas? ;D

josh_mang
2006-08-11, 12:23 PM
It's actually just filled with very, very pissed off cammando-esque skulking people who plan to get their revenge in very nasty ways.

Like releasing big nasty monsters, kidnapping, assassination, and other such icky poopie things.

martyboy74
2006-08-11, 12:25 PM
Sounds like a place for Piffany (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nodwick).

Spakken
2006-08-11, 11:57 PM
I've been toying with the idea of a campaign ravaged by war myself. Then again, I toy with every idea. What do you think about perhaps giving each character a special ability or some bonus trait based on which kingdom he hails from. I know it sounds pretty White Wolf, but I'm warming up to the idea of a group of PCs, each from conflicting nations, coming together in the face of the war.

knightsaline
2006-08-12, 12:24 AM
I just want to know one thing. does it have a tarrasque? i want a tarrasque plushie!

Matthew
2006-08-12, 09:17 AM
Sound like a plausible Campaign World for D&D. What kind of comments are you looking for?

Richard the Crusader? Come on now, if you're going to rip characters from history (along with unsubstantiated rumours about them), at least change the name ;)

josh_mang
2006-08-12, 12:48 PM
Now now, that was Richard the Lionheart ^__^

I'll just take comments on what kinds of things I might be able to do to a world like this to make it seem dirtier, grungier, and better to the players.

I'm actually saying that my PC's must hail from the same kingdom. Not only will this lessen my headache to find a reason why they'll even be talking to one another, much less adventuring together, but it also adds replayablity. They can come back to this world and do it over as a different kingdom.

As of now they've chosen the Forgotten. I was actually hoping they'd go for Stygia... but I can do a lot of things with underdog characters =D

Matthew
2006-08-15, 07:13 PM
Amongst other epitaphs...

Anyway, so I have followed your other posts off and on, so I feel that I am starting to get a reasonable understanding of what you are looking for in a game world.

Plenty of betrayal and hardship is what I would recommend. Your party is starting in the lands of The Forgotten, I take it? Presumably there are a number of disperate factions amongst these outcasts. For them to be surviving in a resource low jungle type setting, constantly harassed by Lizard Men (slavers?) and such, the party ought probably to start off with a sponsor of some kind, preferably a mid power NPC, relative to the other powergroups in the area. As I understand it, your PCs are starting out at Level 1, so he probably views them as expendable resources.
Give the their Patron a plan, maybe he desires to get out of the lands of the Forgotten and return to what he left behind, or perhaps he seeks to take control of one or more neighbouring power groups. Resources are likely to be low, especially in a low magic setting, so consider his diplomatic relatiionships with other groups. Perhaps he wants to organise a raid into Lizard Man territory as a reprisal or perhaps he really wants to incite them into attacking the Forgotten more strongly so that he can use them as an excuse to unite local factions under his leadership. Maybe he wants to incite them ito attacking a nearby kingdom so that he can benefit in some way.
Well, a lot depends on the extent of the 'Clutch' you have in mind for where the adventurers are located and how freely you want them to move through the territory of others. This seems like a fairly open ended campaign, so I would recommend a few short errand type adventures with short combats to begin with that gradually tie into a larger plot (to be later determined largely by the interests of the players). Get the players to write their own backgrounds and try to integrate them into the plot.
All standard and vague type suggestions, I know, but I hope they are helpful nonetheless. I look forward to any futher posts concerning this campaign.