PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Shadowcaster update?

koeldflare
2009-04-25, 10:35 PM
Hey guys, I was just looking throught the forums and I recall someone saying that shadowcasters got a update/revision by their original writer. I proceeded to do some google searches but couldn't find anything.

I was wondering if someone would be able to provide me with either a link to this revision, or inform me that no, the shadowcaster has not been updated and is forever doomed.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-04-25, 11:09 PM
Taken from EN World, from the post by Mouseferatu himself (the Creator of said class).

I'll do you one better. I'll post the latest version, which has a few further tweaks from the one I posted a while back. It still needs playtesting, so I can't swear it's all going to work as written, but this where it stands now.

1) Charisma determines the DC to save against your mysteries. Intelligence determines the highest level mystery you can cast.

2) Grant bonus mysteries per day based on Charisma. These would work just like bonus spells. For instance, if your Cha is 14, you can cast one extra mystery of 1st-level equivalent and one of 2nd-level equivalent per day. (Note that each mystery does give an equivalent level, even though you don't learn them by level.)

3) Eliminate the rule that says you have to take mysteries in a given Path in order. If you want to jump around, so as to broaden your versatility, you can.

4) Within a category—Apprentice, Initiate, Master—you must have at least two mysteries of any given level before you can take any mysteries of the next higher level. For instance, you must have two 1st-level mysteries before you can take any 2nds, and at least two 2nds before you can take any 3rds.

5) Eliminate the rule that says you get a bonus feat equal to half the number of paths you have access to. Instead, you get a bonus feat equal to the total number of Paths you complete. Thus, while you are no longer required to take the entirety of a given Path, there's still encouragement to do so.

6) You may “swap out” mysteries, just as a sorcerer does spells known. If you “un-complete” a Path in this way, however, you lose access to the bonus feat you gained from completing that Path. (You can regain access by re-completing the Path, completing a different Path and choosing that feat as your new bonus, or selecting that feat as a normal feat at your next opportunity.)

7) Once your Apprentice Mysteries become supernatural abilities, change the save DC from 10 + equivalent spell level + Cha to 10 + 1/2 caster level + Cha. This makes them useful even against high-HD opponents, and follows the pattern for other supernatural abilities. Djinn's Note: He later says this applies to any Mystery that becomes a supernatural ability through feats.

Not that it matters, as I had nothing else to do and love helping out other players, but it took about 2 seconds on Google after looking at the first post of the Shadowcaster revision thread where I think you first saw it. :smallbiggrin:

Not that I mind...2 seconds isn't a lot of time to give up to help someone out. Hope this works for you!

-The Djinn

koeldflare
2009-04-25, 11:18 PM
Thanks! I read that over a few times, but I guess I didn't realize it was from the creator himself, and I thought it was something that someone homebrewed.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-04-25, 11:20 PM
Hey, any time! And it's easy to miss...the book certainly doesn't credit anyone named "Mouseferatu." The guy's real name is Ari Marmell, but I was lucky enough to catch a mention of this on Realm of Chaos' Descent of Shadows thread and remembered to connect his name to his user ID. :smallbiggrin: