PDA

View Full Version : Question for Rich: OOTS world

Tillion
2009-04-26, 02:35 PM
Hi, I'm new so please don't be to strict. :mitd:

I just loved Crayons of time. The stylization was beautiful and it also said something about history of OOTS world. But I'd like to know more so is there possibility of writing a comic book (at least book-only like On the origin of PCs) about history of OOTS world, its geography, its legends and tales of mighty heroes and great artifacts? I'd like to see map of this incredible world. Places of interest... I think it would be fun...

So... is it possible? Or on to-do list? :elan:

Studoku
2009-04-26, 02:58 PM
Rich has confirmed (I think) that there is going to be at least one more prequel book. However, it's unlikely that any plans about it will be released until after the next compilation.

xyzzy
2009-04-26, 03:26 PM
There's a map of much of the area surrounding Azure City in War and XPs if you're itching for geographical content. There's also loads of interesting commentary and various historical elements throughout all the published material.

Now, the real question: how long until the OOTS campaign world is published? :smallbiggrin:

Tillion
2009-04-27, 07:28 AM
I'd love to buy the books... and the game, but I'm from Czech republic and postage makes the cost almost twice that big. One day I'll wake up, fly to America and buy all that great things like cool replicas, Babylon 5 and OOTS books and that great Paradox T-shirt... :smallwink:

OOTS campaign world would be awesome.

Ancalagon
2009-04-27, 07:55 AM
Shipping isn't that expensive to continental europe. Surely not "twice as much", if you pay 15$ shipping for two books (that'll be around 50$) you are far from "twice as much".

As for Babylon 5... tried amazon.co.uk? I'd be surprised if you had to pay more than 7 pounds for shipping (and that would already be a lot) to czech.

FatJose
2009-04-27, 11:09 AM
Ooh, it could come with a cd with stick versions of items and character creator bits for all your Stickifying needs.

Cizak
2009-04-27, 01:22 PM
The tale of the Goblinoids, The Dak One and the Crimson Mantle can befound in Start of Darkness, in crayon.

NerfTW
2009-04-27, 01:36 PM
I think he mentioned somewhere that he didn't want to reveal all this information to give himself wiggle room if he needed to change something. (For instance, suddenly realizing that X plot point is too close to Y, making a giant plot hole for the characters)

A simple map would be boring, so waiting until the end when it can be annotated with the adventures of the Order would be far better. Not to mention certain plot points. The location of the Hobgoblin city would have been meaningless during the initial dungeon crawl, for instance. And the island where the Azurites set up shop would have given away that plot point early as well.

My guess is that when the strip does end, we'll get something, either as a book, or extras in the final volume. But I doubt we'll get much more than "Oh, here's a map of where they've already been" until then, to avoid throwing spoilers out there.

liooil2000
2009-04-27, 07:52 PM
My guess is that when the strip does end, we'll get something, either as a book, or extras in the final volume. But I doubt we'll get much more than "Oh, here's a map of where they've already been" until then, to avoid throwing spoilers out there.

I agree. Spoilers like those just ruin the suspense and everything else.

Elan man
2009-04-27, 08:49 PM
I would hate for the strip to end

Elan man
2009-04-27, 08:50 PM
That would be awsome

Elan man
2009-04-27, 08:52 PM
I mean I would hate for the strip to end but a new book would be awesome

NerfTW
2009-04-28, 12:23 PM
Well, the strip has an ending. We already know that. And face it, stories need endings, or else you wind up with meandering crap that goes nowhere and says nothing.

I think the tendency for webcomic artists to refuse to end strips and start new ones is one of the biggest problems with the medium.

Volkov
2009-04-28, 01:02 PM
Yes yes OOTS world was affected by the events of Die Vecna! Die! Just like every other world, after all it did cause a pretty much complete update of the entire D&D multiverse to 3rd edition. Yep, Vecna caused third edition.

factotum
2009-04-28, 01:34 PM
A simple map would be boring, so waiting until the end when it can be annotated with the adventures of the Order would be far better. Not to mention certain plot points.

He's already included a partial map in War and XPs, though...

FujinAkari
2009-04-28, 02:01 PM
He's already included a partial map in War and XPs, though...

And note that the map he included was drawn -after- the material for that area had all been written and the focus of the campaign had left that area. Remember, at the time the map was drawn, he had already written Hinjo away from Azure City and was in the process of getting Celia gone as well, so the entire area had been explored within the strip.

evileeyore
2009-04-28, 03:45 PM
I would hate for the strip to end

All good things must end, else they slowly dwindle away until they aren't good things.

Dagren
2009-04-28, 04:19 PM
Rich could draw out a map without revealing spoilers if it had superfluous detail in it, red herrings if you will. However, drawing out a fully detailed world is a lot of work, as anyone who's ever run a game can attest to. I can't really see that happening, it's more likely that he just explores the world in the comic (even though a map would be useful for him to avoid nasty plot-holes)