PDA

View Full Version : Psionic Genius [Template]

Closet_Skeleton
2006-08-14, 06:45 AM
I needed an NPC that was of a non-psionic race yet had powerful psionics without any justification of why it would have large ammounts of class levels. If the Psion and Wilder classes represent a character who can advance his powers then this template represents someone who is born with more power than a character of their level should have. Think of it as a stronger version of the Wild Talent feat.

Creating a Psionic Genius
“Psionic Genius” is an inherited template that can be added to any humanoid creature (referred to afterwards as the base creature).
A Psionic Genius has all the base creature’s statistics and special abilities except as noted here.
Size and type: The creatures gains the (Psionic) subtype. Do not recalculate base attack bonus, saves, or skill points. Size is unchanged.
Hit Dice: The Psionic Genius has 4 humanoid HD.
Armour Class: The Psionic Genius gains a deflection bonus to armour class equal to his Charisma modifier +4.
Attacks: The Psionic Genius retains all attacks of the base creature. In addition he gains the following attack;
Telekinetic Limb: A telekinetic limb counts as a natural attack with 15 ft. reach and deals 1d4 damage + the Psionic Genius' charisma modifier. This counts as a force effect.
Special Attacks: A Psionic Genius retains all the base creature’s special attacks and gains those described below.
Psionics: A Psionic Genius has 100 base power points and a manifester level of 10th and gains bonus power points based of its Charisma modifier and its manifester level. The Psionic Genius has knowledge of three powers of each level up to 5th.
Special Qualities: A Psionic Genius retains all the base creature’s special qualities and gains those described below.
Psi Resistance: A Psionic Genius gains Psi Resistance equal to its HD +16.
Abilities: Increase from the base creature as follows: Con +4, Int +6, Cha +10.
Feats: The Psionic Genius gains three Meta-Psionic feats as bonus feats. For all purposes it is counted as having the Wild Talent feat.
Environment: Any, usually same as the base creature.
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: As base creature +10
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually Chaotic
Advanced: Same as base creature.
Level Adjustment: +8

I'm considering using something like this in a campaign/cliche reminiscence . One of the PCs will be a 1st level human commoner with this template whilst the others will be 15th level characters and have to protect the commoner from people who want the commoner's power.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-08-14, 08:41 AM
Did you even consider the Phrenic template in EPH?

martyboy74
2006-08-14, 10:00 AM
Did you even consider the Phrenic template in EPH?
The Phrenic (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/phrenicCreature.htm) template is a little weak for his purposes. The template is essentially phrenic on some crazy steroids.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-08-14, 12:51 PM
Fair enough.

Behold_the_Void
2006-08-14, 11:54 PM
This is a stronger version of the Wild Talent feat the way an AK-47 is a stronger version of the sling.

But I like it, it could make for some interesting things. It's the kind of thing I might use in a Modern Campaign if I were going for the creepy out-of-control psychic kid with problems.

TheOOB
2006-08-15, 02:11 AM
wow, LA +8. I could see it making interesting NPCs, but there is no way i'd ever play a PC with that template, thats too many class levels lost.

Closet_Skeleton
2006-08-15, 05:13 AM
wow, LA +8. I could see it making interesting NPCs, but there is no way i'd ever play a PC with that template, thats too many class levels lost.

Well, seeing as it gets power points and a manifester level, I thought it wouldn't matter so much if you're losing on levels. You are losing on HD though, I only gave it 4HD because I had to give it some HD but didn't want to make the ECL too high.

chaosbrand
2006-08-15, 07:07 AM
What bugs me the most is that it has a higher LA+ than a CR+. Normal templates almost never do that (correct me if I'm wrong), since usually PC's with templates are stronger than monsters with the same templates.

InaVegt
2006-08-15, 08:15 AM
What bugs me the most is that it has a higher LA+ than a CR+. Normal templates almost never do that (correct me if I'm wrong), since usually PC's with templates are stronger than monsters with the same templates.
*points to SS* almost all undead templates in SS do that.