PDA

View Full Version : 10 Years of Smash!!!

Llama231
2009-04-26, 04:55 PM
I believe that today (April 26) mark's smashes first double-digit birthday.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Smash_Bros.

At least in North America.

Rejoice!!

chiasaur11
2009-04-26, 04:58 PM
Huzzah.

Need to get a Wii and Brawl sometime.

Oregano
2009-04-26, 05:11 PM
Huzzah.

Need to get a Wii and Brawl sometime.

Too true, me too, I wanted a Wii since before Brawl came out but never got around to getting it. I'll probably go half and half with my brother at some point and buy one.

Geno9999
2009-04-26, 05:48 PM
This calls for fanart (http://pnutink.deviantart.com/art/super-smash-bros-brawl-104148251)! So what's you top five for brawling?
Mine is;
1) Mario!
2) Ike
3) Fox
4) Wolf
5) Luigi (Someone pays 'tenttion to WEEGEE!!!)

chiasaur11
2009-04-26, 05:50 PM
This calls for fanart (http://pnutink.deviantart.com/art/super-smash-bros-brawl-104148251)! So what's you top five for brawling?
Mine is;
1) Mario!
2) Ike
3) Fox
4) Wolf
5) Luigi (Someone pays 'tenttion to WEEGEE!!!)

Pikachu's my man.

Fear the given lightning.

Ike's pretty awesome as well.

Dihan
2009-04-26, 05:55 PM
My top five are:

5) Diddy Kong
4) Ganondorf
3) Sheik
2) Mr Game and Watch
1) Zelda

tribble
2009-04-26, 06:01 PM
let's see... top five...
1:toon link
2:Weegee
3:Lucas
4:Gannon
5:sonic

Alteran
2009-04-26, 06:06 PM
Top 5:

1. Ike
2. Marth
3. Lucario (New!)
4: Zelda
5: Falco/Lucas/Pikachu

Xefas
2009-04-26, 06:07 PM
I've loved Kirby ever since the N64 Smash game. Which is weird considering I'd never heard of the character before Super Smash Brothers. I've played most of his games since then, and love those as well (still playing Canvas Curse on my DS). I just got a big Kirby plushie for my birthday too.

My only complaint is that his signature move (copying people's abilities) is so difficult to actually use. It's slow with a short range and leaves you wide open. It's to the point where if someone would actually be caught off-guard to the extent that you could suck them up, it's a much better idea just to smash or brick them instead.

Dihan
2009-04-26, 06:07 PM
let's see... top five...
1:toon link
2:Weegee
3:Lucas
4:Gannon
5:sonic

Must... Resist... Urge... Gah!

GANNON-BANNED! (http://www.gannon-banned.com/)

Llama231
2009-04-26, 06:08 PM
Um... No order:

Kirby
Ice Climbers
Pikachu
Falco
Mewtwo

For now.

So...

SSB4!?!

Oh, and Geno, that picture is marinating in awesomesauce.:smallbiggrin:

Dogmantra
2009-04-26, 06:09 PM
1. Kirby
2. Lucas
3. Dedede
4. Squirtle (yep, I don't use the others...)
5. Olimar (I suck with him, but when I resort to Olimar, it's purely for fun)

billtodamax
2009-04-26, 06:11 PM
top five? For me it's:
1.Metaknight. I'm liking the air combos on this guy
2.Kirby. My original best, he has some great ground combos along with some punisihing air attacks.
3. ZSS. It takes people a remarkably long time to turn around. Fiddling with her jump and down smash as well as side dodging works out pretty well for me.
4. Sonic. Remarkably good airal attacks, and great vertical recovery. I probably have the most fun playing sonic.
5. Marth. I used to be pretty good with him, then I stopped playing him. Some good smashes, along with some good arial attacks, however, his grabs suck.

Feel free to refute all of my points if you wish.

Oregano
2009-04-26, 06:12 PM
Having not play Brawl, my list is:

1. Marth
2. Link
3 Young Link
4. Roy
5. Mewtwo(I know he's rubbish but he's also cool).

As you can tell I like my sword users.:smallwink:

Assassin89
2009-04-26, 06:29 PM
I mainly use Link, Toon Link, and Pokemon Trainer, Olimar and any other character. I don't own the game, but I do own a wii and someone who attend the same college I go to owns the game.

Llama231
2009-04-26, 06:35 PM
top five? For me it's:
2.Kirby. My original best, he has some great ground combos along with some punisihing air attacks.
3. ZSS. It takes people a remarkably long time to turn around. Fiddling with her jump and down smash as well as side dodging works out pretty well for me.
4. Sonic. Remarkably good areal attacks, and great vertical recovery. I probably have the most fun playing sonic.
5. Marth. I used to be pretty good with him, then I stopped playing him. Some good smashes, along with some good arial attacks, however, his grabs suck.

Grab release much?

Also, Marth and Roy had by far the longest non-tether grab reach in melee.

Geno9999
2009-04-26, 06:38 PM
Oh, and Geno, that picture is marinating in awesomesauce.:smallbiggrin:
That picture isn't mine, but it still awesome:smallbiggrin:.

Dihan
2009-04-26, 06:40 PM
top five? For me it's:
4. Sonic. Remarkably good airal attacks, and great vertical recovery. I probably have the most fun playing sonic.

All mention of combos: Brawl has no combos
Meta Knight: There's a reason why he's the best character in the game
Sonic: He has very little priority on his attacks
Marth: As has been said - grab releases. On Ness and Lucas equal instant death if they don't know what to do.

billtodamax
2009-04-26, 06:41 PM
All of his throws except for up suck, not his reach. It's usually the only thing I do after grabbing, sorry for the confusion.

Edit: Oh, and apparently I don't know what grab releases are. I just don't like that his throws don't throw them very far. *Goes to look at smash wiki*

Edit2: I don't think I'd do something like that. It would ruin the fun for the other person.

Llama231
2009-04-26, 06:53 PM
All mention of combos: Brawl has no combos
Meta Knight: There's a reason why he's the best character in the game
Sonic: He has very little priority on his attacks
Marth: As has been said - grab releases. On Ness and Lucas equal instant death if they don't know what to do.

I beg to differ.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=168036

Cynan Machae
2009-04-26, 06:54 PM
Oh 10 years? Nice.

Anyway mine:

1. ZSS - My main, very fun to play with, and a unique style to play hence why few people play with her.
2. Game and Watch - Pretty strong now, and doing well with that guy
3. Ganondorf - Picked him recently, just because he's so bad I'm trying to do okay with him :smalltongue:
4. Zelda - Playing a bit of Zelda here and there
5. Dedede, Pikachu, Peach, Lucario, Snake - Those characters I all play a bit more with but can't say they are my mains/secondaries :smallwink:

Haven
2009-04-26, 09:04 PM
No love for Snake?

AlterForm
2009-04-26, 09:19 PM
No love for Snake?

Snake? SNAKE? SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!!!!

Enlong
2009-04-26, 09:26 PM
Ah, Smash. Always fun, no matter which incarnation.
And I'm always roughly a year late to the party for each one. Huh.

Anyway, my favorites, in no particular order, include:

Mr. Game And Watch
Wario
ROB
Lucario
and Luigi.

Huh. With the exception of Lucario, I like a lot of the awkward and silly ones. I wonder why.

Dienekes
2009-04-26, 09:33 PM
5)Wolf
4)Link
3)Bowser
2)Ike
1)Ganondorf

Ganondorf was my man since melee, where he was completely awesome. Yeah he got nerfed now. But I've become good with him again, just took awhile.

billtodamax
2009-04-26, 10:22 PM
How could I forget Luigi? Replace marth with luigi. I have more fun playing luigi than most characters. The character that I'll only play if there are lots of human opponents is olimar. He just seems ridiculously underpowered. Though he is fun to use against Samus and Lucario, but again, only if they're human, because humans tend to overuse projectiles.

Graymayre
2009-04-26, 10:40 PM
1: Marth
2: Lucas
3: Diddy Kong
4: Wario
5: Weegee

To be honest, I love all of them. I try to play everyone, and am fairly good with most characters.

However, I tend to go on more of a griefing strategy when I'm playing my best. :smalltongue:

Kroy
2009-04-26, 10:43 PM
SSB4!?!

SSB Knifefight anyone?

Anyway, my characters are:
SSB:
Kirby
Yoshi
Fox
Link
Luigi

SSBM:
Marth
Roy
Kirby
Fox
Link

SSBB:
Marth
Ike
Kirby
Fox
Pit

Dumbledore lives
2009-04-26, 10:51 PM
1. Snake
2. Ike
3. Ganandorf
4. Captain Falcon
5. Olimar

Also I like to play as Lucario, but only when the handicap is set to 180%, sure it's hard but it's also insanely fun too, fully charged aura balls do about 40% damage.

I also really like to play random matches with all items set on and four people, normally teamed up with my friend against a couple of computers, I like pretty much every character.

billtodamax
2009-04-26, 11:02 PM
I don't like heavy characters. The only ones I can really play as are snake and king dedede. Items, on or off? I prefer on, because it makes things alot more random. Of course, most of my friends prefer items off, so that's how I usually play.

Enlong
2009-04-27, 12:08 AM
I like items, I really do. Besides, being able to adapt to the randomness is a great skill to have.

billtodamax
2009-04-27, 12:23 AM
I actually play a whole lot better with items on. I suppose it's cause I'm used to them.

Flabbicus
2009-04-27, 12:49 AM
My main characters are:

1) ROB
2) Toon Link
3) Luigi
4) Snake
5) Olimar

I normally switch between ROB, Toon Link, and Luigi depending on how silly I am feeling. Being in college with friends who have Brawl that live 30 feet away from me I end up playing nearly every day. Still can't do the Bowser challenge though.

Xondoure
2009-04-27, 12:59 AM
Items: on. If you haven't played and won, when the universe hates you enough to give your opponent every weapon of destruction, while you fight back with the aid of a squishy hammer, then you haven't played at all.

Maps: turns. Fair, even, and if you don't like the map then give them hell when YOU pick.

Characters:
SSBB:
1) Marth - fire emblem + speed + awesomeness.
2) Zelda/Sheek - flee from the terror of giant fire balls! AND she's a ninja.
3) Mr. Game and Watch - gotta love retro.
4) Falco - fox with power.
5) Sonic - bye far my favorite character to maneuver around the stage with.

SSBM:
1) Falco - fox, with INSANE power.
2) Pikachu - speed + power. What more do you want from him?
3) Marth - I've already said it.
4) Samus - the ONLY truly long ranged character.
5) Kirby - All things are food to the pink puff ball.

SSB:
1) Kirby - fun to play, easy to learn.
2) Samus - my first character in the smash series.
3) Captain Falcon - falcon punch for the win.
4) Fox - SPEED.
5) Mario - For traditions sake.

...I love this series.

billtodamax
2009-04-27, 01:26 AM
I tend to avoid letting them keep the weapons of mass destruction. A hammer I glide under the stage as meta 'til it runs out or thwomp them as kirby, and the rest are significantly easier to get off people.

Dihan
2009-04-27, 03:16 AM
I play with items off most of the time. I prefer skill to be the main decider in a fight - not randomness.

We should start up a friend code list again.

billtodamax
2009-04-27, 04:45 AM
I disagree with you on that point. Items can take a considerable amount of skill to use effectively, and there's a relative amount of skill to dodge/steal the items as well.

Dihan
2009-04-27, 07:30 AM
Not when an item, such as a Pokeball or hammer or whatever, spawns right next to someone and you have no way of getting to it fast enough. Or if a bob-omb spawns right by you just as you attack.

Anyone can grab a ray gun and proceed to KO someone by blasting them off the side. Anyone can grab a hammer and just run into someone and kill them. A lot of Final Smashes are considerably worse than others. The fan is completely broken.

Mando Knight
2009-04-27, 12:24 PM
My main characters are Marth and Ike, with Samus, Sonic, Meta Knight, and Pokemon Trainer. I play with items on, and levels usually at full random. (The pre-made custom stages have been promptly deleted for their lack of awesome, though... and I hate Palkia's Spear Pillar.)

Jibar
2009-04-27, 12:51 PM
Must... Resist... Urge... Gah!

GANNON-BANNED! (http://www.gannon-banned.com/)

Wow.
That's...
That's the most unnecessarily arseholish website ever.

Oregano
2009-04-27, 01:09 PM
Well playing on mellee(one l or two?) I like to play with items on but turn some of the cheesier items off.

I would love a Super Smash Bros game for the DS btw.

Fostire
2009-04-27, 01:59 PM
My top five?
let's see..
On SSB I used Ness almost exclusively and pikachu or jigglypuff if I felt like having some variety. I almost never used any of the other characters.

On SSBM my five most used would be (from most used to least):
Shiek
Ness
Zelda
Pikachu (or sometimes pichu)
Jigglypuff

And on SSBB:
Ness
Zelda
Shiek
Pikachu
Jigglypuff

On items, the rule at my house is that all items are on, but using the starman or hammer items is considered dishonorable (if you accidentally grab one you have to remain still until they run out)

Dihan
2009-04-27, 04:09 PM
Wow.
That's...
That's the most unnecessarily arseholish website ever.

I agree. The only rule I pay attention to is the first one.

On items: If I do play with them then I switch off all broken ones (except Pokeballs and Assist trophies as they can be also quite useless), and set the frequency to low.

On stages: I have Hanenbow, Mario Bros, 75m and Flat Zone 2 switched off

Hunter Noventa
2009-04-27, 06:42 PM
1- Ness (TK THUNDER!)
2- Ike (I like swords.)
3- Fox (No, I don't spam the laser)
4- Samus
5- Link

Linkavitch
2009-04-27, 06:54 PM
These games are pretty fun. I've played Melee and Brawl at friends' houses, and I want to get one for Wii when I get it in a couple months.

Top 5 (no order)

Mario(duh)
Link
Kirby(I like the little pink guy[plus I beat my best friend with him the first time I'd played the game and he'd owned Brawl for...3 weeks?])
Samus Aran
Pokemon Trainer (Mainly for the big dragon-thing)

Dogmantra
2009-04-27, 07:16 PM
(Mainly for the big dragon-thing)
Charizard.

Also: I forgot to mention, but I really like playing as Zero Suit Samus. (to start as her, you just need to choose Samus, hold R and press Start when starting a match).

As for items: all allowed, unless we're playing an all-pokemon balls game, which is infinitely more fun on the original.

Tuataralad
2009-04-28, 06:12 AM
My top five in Brawl are definitely:

1. Pit (I know people think he is spammy, but it is possible to play him otherwise)
2. Ganondorf
3. Captain Falcon
4. King Dedede
5. Link

billtodamax
2009-04-28, 06:19 AM
Pit is actually possible to play without being spammy. It's just that the only friends of mine that use him arrow spam. I despise arrow spam.

shadowfox
2009-04-28, 06:50 AM
Pit is actually possible to play without being spammy. It's just that the only friends of mine that use him arrow spam. I despise arrow spam.

I have a friend who plays Pit and just does the arrow spam. Since I'm too stubborn to transfer my old skillz (disclaimer: I'm a pretty average player) to another character, I still play as the (nerfed) Fox. So... When he arrow spams, he tends to take more damage than he expected...

And to spam less, too.

Athaniar
2009-04-28, 06:51 AM
Ah, I love the Smash series, and I have all 3 games. Favorite characters? Not sure, really, but Pit and Meta Knight are both good, and Solid Snake is fun for his modern attacks. Kirby has also always been a favorite.

Concerning progress, I have unlocked all characters and completed Adventure Mode on easy.

In addition, I was very disappointed of the Stage Builder.

Geno9999
2009-04-28, 03:58 PM
I would probably enjoyed stage builder more if it allowed you to have a scrolling stage, grounded stage, and more variety in the parts selection. even the ability to make the block smaller than standard size would be nice (e.g. shrink them to be half a Mario, instead of at least as tall as Mario.)

Llama231
2009-04-28, 06:54 PM
Pet Peeve Time:

1- Ness (TK THUNDER!)
Mild nitpick: PK Thunder.

I would probably enjoyed stage builder more if it allowed you to have a scrolling stage, grounded stage, and more variety in the parts selection. even the ability to make the block smaller than standard size would be nice (e.g. shrink them to be half a Mario, instead of at least as tall as Mario.)
I agree that the Stage Builder had much more potential, but tell me a game that has something similar but better?

Athaniar
2009-04-29, 05:15 AM
One of the main things I miss from the stage-builder is the limited choice of items and backgrounds, and the fact that items are tied to backgrounds is also an annoyance. The huge music library is good, though.

Tuataralad
2009-04-29, 06:13 AM
Yeah, they could definitely have made stage builder much better, like allowing you to set gravity or have destructible areas. If they can do it on all of their own stages, why can't they put that in the builder? Another thing I really miss from melee (I never really played the first brawl, not sure if this was in it) is bonus mode. I never actually played bonus mode, but I always enjoyed looking at all the ridiculous things at the end of the match.

Dihan
2009-04-29, 07:01 AM
I miss the bonuses, all the removed characters (especially Mewtwo) and the generic Adventure Mode.

I also think there should have been more enemies in the Subspace from other Nintendo series.

Dairun Cates
2009-04-30, 12:06 PM
Wait... The original Smash was released on my 14th Birthday!? I had completely forgotten.

WHOO! I was DESTINED to make HtPBLaM.

billtodamax
2009-04-30, 07:47 PM
I also think there should have been more enemies in the Subspace from other Nintendo series.

I agree with this. I think the only enemies from other series were mario ones. Other series enemies would be awesome.

Zeful
2009-05-01, 03:51 PM
The Smash Bros games are cool, I like them but there are some things that annoy me.

In Brawl I have a problem with some of the new characters being very similar to old characters. Lucas has nearly the exact same moveset as Ness, so why bother including him? Wolf also bothers me, I'm sure there's another popular character that isn't a "lanmaster" so you could still have a second starfox character but have more variety as well. The only way I can justify his inclusion is that they had enough room on the disk for another character, but not another Final Smash, which smacks of poor planing.

In general I have a problem with the camera, it seems to randomly zoom in and out at literally the worst possible times. Judging distance is seemingly impossible outside of scrolling stages, where the camera stays roughly at the same zoom.

Geno9999
2009-05-01, 04:08 PM
In general I have a problem with the camera, it seems to randomly zoom in and out at literally the worst possible times. Judging distance is seemingly impossible outside of scrolling stages, where the camera stays roughly at the same zoom.
It really isn't random. It zooms in and out so that everything interesting (I.E.; Fighters, appearance of new items, etc.) is on screen
This way everyone can see what they're doing and see that a new item, such as a dragoon piece, without the need for an overly inconvenient split screen. If you still have a slight problem with the camera, try fixed camera mode in the special brawl. This keeps the camera at the same zoom through out the whole match.

Zeful
2009-05-01, 04:13 PM
It really isn't random. It zooms in and out so that everything interesting (I.E.; Fighters, appearance of new items, etc.) is on screen
This way everyone can see what they're doing and see that a new item, such as a dragoon piece, without the need for an overly inconvenient split screen. If you still have a slight problem with the camera, try fixed camera mode in the special brawl. This keeps the camera at the same zoom through out the whole match.

I don't own a wii, so I played Brawl (and most of my experience with Melee was on a really big screen, so the zoom wasn't so bad.) at the last cons I attended last year, but it was still annoying when Link's sword suddenly "grow" three-quarters of an inch and throws off my aim, especially when I would have gotten the blow in with out the sudden zoom.

Serenity
2009-05-15, 10:25 AM
My main Brawl character is Ike. I also like to be a jerk with Bowser and Side-B myself and my opponents to death. Lucas and Kirby are my main choices for lighter characters, and I'm trying to get better with Zero Suit Samus. I also like doing all-Random battles.

I honestly don't get the hype about Metaknight. He's really light. He has only two moves with any appreciable knockback, both of which are hard to get off. And his Final Smash, but tourney players don't allow those, and it's tricky for him to get a smash ball. His recovery isn't bad, but it's not earth-shatteringly good. His ability to rack up damage is impressive, and he's not a bad character, certainly. But 'God tier' seems to be exaggerating things.

My inclination is to turn all items on. The randomness and shifting nature of the game is part of the fun for me, and items far from negate skill. This is how I play with my friends at home; my friends at college leave items off, and I don't care enough to press the issue.

For maps: all on, random selection, each player is allowed a single veto.

Also, for ridiculously epic damage and launch speed? Four Ikes. Ten Stock. Hyrule Temple. Watch the absurdity.

Dihan
2009-05-15, 11:10 AM
Meta Knight has no lag on any of his attacks. He's fast. He beats everyone in priority. His fsmash has good range, dsmash is one of the fastest in the game and his up special is devastating if sweetspotted. That's all he needs if he wants to KO. He has no bad matchups at all. I think the lowest is 55:45 in his favour. As for recovery he has six jumps and two glides. In the competitive scene he has had 42 wins. Weight doesn't really matter if you can't actually out-prioritise his lagless attacks to hit him.

Graymayre
2009-05-15, 11:58 AM
Diddy Kong has just reached status as my #1 character.

This is mostly impart to the massive amount of griefing I do with him

Strategy in 1v1:

1. bananas
2. more bananas
3. jump and dodge around, smash A and B at good opportunities.
4. Taunt
5. repeat steps 1-4 until the other person is dead
6. ???
7. Profit!

multi-man games normally involve prodigious use of the peanut gun and more taunting. It helps that my group has a good time when I do this. They seem to have as much fun with my strategy as I do.

Mando Knight
2009-05-15, 01:46 PM
Meta Knight has no lag on any of his attacks. He's fast. He beats everyone in priority. His fsmash has good range, dsmash is one of the fastest in the game and his up special is devastating if sweetspotted. That's all he needs if he wants to KO. He has no bad matchups at all. I think the lowest is 55:45 in his favour. As for recovery he has six jumps and two glides. In the competitive scene he has had 42 wins. Weight doesn't really matter if you can't actually out-prioritise his lagless attacks to hit him.

That, and like Squirtle and Pikachu, he can jump around annoying everyone with combinations of fast aerial and ground attacks. Unlike them, however, he can do it pretty much anywhere thanks to his multi-jump and actually has a good variety of kill moves. Victory is his destiny (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CatchPhrase).

That said, I've gotten a lot better with a few of the low-tier characters: Samus has my current high score on Classic, Ike's always been one of my better guys in Brawl, and I've been getting better with Pokemon Trainer. Mostly because of Lizardon (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Charizard_(Pok%C3%A9mon)).

Geno9999
2009-05-15, 04:49 PM
Ike is very easy to use and master. That is the reason why I'm so confused when Meta knight is god tier. Sure, you can do cool stuff with his air moves, but otherwise, he's just another light weight character. In fact, I figured that the tiers are pretty pointless, just a list of characters to expect in a tornament where people will use only the god tiers. Idiots. *Stabs with Toon Link's Dair repeatedly*
For stages, all on (except for custom) at random. However, a rematch on the same stage and characters is allowed.

Dairun Cates
2009-05-15, 05:26 PM
Ike is very easy to use and master. That is the reason why I'm so confused when Meta knight is god tier. Sure, you can do cool stuff with his air moves, but otherwise, he's just another light weight character. In fact, I figured that the tiers are pretty pointless, just a list of characters to expect in a tornament where people will use only the god tiers. Idiots. *Stabs with Toon Link's Dair repeatedly*
For stages, all on (except for custom) at random. However, a rematch on the same stage and characters is allowed.

I wouldn't say he's easy to master.

You can get the basics down easily, but it can be difficult to do things like keep your opponent at a distance with perfect levels of play all the time in a competitive setting. It really is important to remember that despite his power and range, Ike has huge gaps in his attacks that can be easily punished. You really have to choose your attacks carefully when playing higher level players or they'll just wait for you to use the wrong smash or B-move at the wrong time and just ream you.

Also, Metaknight is God Tier because of:
1. Horribly high priority.
2. A reach that's way longer than it looks
3. Some really mean attacks that can punish even skilled opponents for making even the smallest of mistakes.
4. Some game-breaking glitches that have been found with him.

His only real disadvantage is a low-knockback, but he racks up the damage fast enough to compensate, and as long as he has 1 or 2 kill moves, he's fine. Normally I could care less, but metaknight's actually REALLY REALLY poorly balanced, and there was a strong consideration of banning him at a tournament level because of it. Mind you, he didn't, but the threat, and the fact that the topic could come up again has caused people to shy away from him.

Believe me, while the existence of tiers and their usefulness is somewhat debatable (especially since they argue that a player of higher skill should ALWAYS beat a player of lower skill), they don't give a character his own tier without usually a VERY good reason.

Dihan
2009-05-15, 05:31 PM
If you want a tournament with hardly any Meta Knights (in South California, I think... Could be North) then go to Hawaii. Apparently the majority of tourney goers there are Zeldas. :smallbiggrin:

Dairun Cates
2009-05-15, 05:34 PM
If you want a tournament with hardly any Meta Knights (in South California, I think... Could be North) then go to Hawaii. Apparently the majority of tourney goers there are Zeldas. :smallbiggrin:

Well, like I said, half the pros have stopped playing Meta, because the threat of being banned is still looming very heavily. It was far from a landslide decision by the community. It just takes one more exploit or trick for the discussion to come back up.

Mind you, as someone who primarily just hits the random button because I have to know SOMETHING about each of the characters for HtPBLaM, I really couldn't care much. I'm just saying. Whether you like tiers or not, they don't put a God Tier in an official tier without a LOT of debating, discussion, and a decent consensus.

Dihan
2009-05-15, 05:49 PM
I know. The whole reason for the discussion on banning Meta Knight was to enable other characters to have their metagames improved. Which as you have pointed out is happening because less people are using MK.

I like to be able to use any character too but my heart lies with Zelda. The only character I absolutely refuse to use is Wario. I hate him. I'm not that good with Olimar or Lucario though.

Dairun Cates
2009-05-15, 05:50 PM
I know. The whole reason for the discussion on banning Meta Knight was to enable other characters to have their metagames improved. Which as you have pointed out is happening because less people are using MK.

I like to be able to use any character too but my heart lies with Zelda. The only character I absolutely refuse to use is Wario. I hate him. I'm not that good with Olimar or Lucario though.

Amusingly enough. Despite Episode 4 of HtPBLaM being about him, Lucario is actually in the bottom 5 of characters I can play. I REALLY suck with him. Amazing what video editing can do.

Green-Shirt Q
2009-05-15, 06:16 PM
Ho ho! Why haven't I seen this thread before? Super Smash Bros. games happen to be some of my favourite videogames! I even worked the 10 year anniversary into my fancomic (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105608)! :smallbiggrin:

Anyway, shameless advertising aside, my top characters are:

1) Bowser
2) Wario
3) King Dedede
4) Luigi
5) Mario

I just found out that, in comparison to other live players, I actually suck at the game. :smallfrown:

Duos
2009-05-15, 08:41 PM
I only play the original, for several reasons. One is that I could never really get the hang of them. Another is that I found the original much less competitive-I dislike games that get boiled down to stats and tech. It takes all the fun out of the game. The third reason is that I love the retro. Were I to give a top three list of the characters I use:

1) Kirby. He's fast, has a great jump, and awesome grapples.
2) Samus. Up+A and Screw Attack is great, and Charge shot has great knockback. I just hate the slow dodge.
3) Fox. Melee reflector! Whee! He's also fast.

I hate Captain Falcon and Jigglypuff. Jigglypuff because I could never figure out how to get the damn sleep thing to work, and Falcon because that's who my brother used. I hated him for three reasons: The mid-air grapple, which you could chain and was rediculously damaging plus knockback, the high running speed, because you couldn't escape if you needed to, and the item throwing, which was less about the Captain and more about my brother's uncanny ability to nail me from the other side of the stage with a thrown beam sword.

Geno9999
2009-05-15, 09:49 PM
For me, Captain Falcon is an awesome character, but he just feels so loose when you have him running. Also, who here throws the homerun bat when ever they get it? *Raises hand*

MagMagus
2009-05-15, 11:45 PM
Me too. The bat was actually effective in Melee, but Brawl makes the animation so slow that it's better to throw it. It has a good knockback, too.

I mostly use Ness, whose baseball bat is far superior.

Mando Knight
2009-05-16, 02:08 PM
The home-run bat is a throwing weapon. No exceptions. Knockback and damage on par with a Smash attack, with decent range? It's about as good as a fully-charged Charge Beam, Super Scope, or (200% Lucario) Aura Sphere. It's killed far more often when thrown than when trying to get a home-run strike.

I rest my case.

Green-Shirt Q
2009-05-17, 10:28 PM
I've actually found the homerun bat to be quite useful as a melee weapon. Whenever I grab it, I swing it randomly and usually I hit the enemy or something that is thrown into my enemy. It is one of my favourite items.

I've never thrown it. I've never needed to.

Of course, I suck, so you may want to disregard this. :smallfrown:

Mando Knight
2009-05-17, 10:36 PM
It works best on high-level computers... apparently the AI never sees it coming. Even after the third or fourth shot.

...High level computers are also idiots with the Cracker Launcher. I usually juggle the enemy with the projectiles, while level 9 AIs will just fire rapidly and randomly, usually to much less effect.

Calamity
2009-05-21, 06:30 PM
I'm not that good with Olimar or Lucario though.

Yeah right. :smallannoyed:

I generally suck at Brawl, and my top character changes repeatedly. Currently it's Toon Link, 'cos he's cool and stuff...

Knaight
2009-05-21, 08:05 PM
I'm pretty good at Brawl, although hardly good enough to compete in tournaments. Character wise.
1) Kirby. Being a hammer wielding sword swinging badass with some of the most awesome kicks in the game has appeal. This is without even getting into the grabs, and Captain Falcon Kirby. I usually play as blue Kirby, with yellow as a second choice. In melee I will use green Kirby.

2) Lucario. A bit slow, but nice A moves, aura sphere makes a nasty surprise when you fire it at somebody in melee combat, side B isn't bad, and if your good with the counter, and understand the fun inherent in countering hot heads moving around the stage and killing everybody nearby, its a beautiful move. Plus he looks cool.

3) Meta Knight. Fast, deadly, and with a few nice killing moves. Up B is a lot more threatening than it looks when you use it against somebody trying to charge you. Down A isn't bad either. Plus I like the puff balls.

4) Samus. I love the metroid series, she is actually a really good melee character, the guns are fun, and firing off several missiles is a really good way to break up a duel two people managed to get into. Plus she has a decent grab.

5) Toon link. I like my sword people, and he is a fast, lightweight character, with style. Down A is awesome, as is a well used boomerang bomb series. Plus Toon Link is the perfect size for throwing beam swords and bats at people, and since bats are pretty much down to being nice in team battles for finishing a grabbed character in hand to hand combat, its a useful perk. That and bombs are a nice way to cut off the path of hammer wielders.

Dihan
2009-05-22, 04:03 AM
Yeah right. :smallannoyed:

I generally suck at Brawl, and my top character changes repeatedly. Currently it's Toon Link, 'cos he's cool and stuff...

You're not that bad. You know how terrible my luck is. :smalltongue:

Geno9999
2009-05-22, 07:12 AM
It works best on high-level computers... apparently the AI never sees it coming. Even after the third or fourth shot.

...High level computers are also idiots with the Cracker Launcher. I usually juggle the enemy with the projectiles, while level 9 AIs will just fire rapidly and randomly, usually to much less effect.

Hey, at least it's an improvement over the lower level computers just aiming the thing down and wasting all the shots.

Mr._Blinky
2009-05-22, 11:00 PM
So, after getting my ass kicked by my friends repeatedly in Brawl and Melee, I just had a bit of revenge. Turns out one of my friends still had his N64 squirreled away in his basement, complete with the original SSB. So we decided to bust out the oldschool gaming, if only for the nostalgia factor, and as both of them owned the more recent games and were far better than me, I expected to be soundly beaten.

I ABSOLUTELY F***ING DESTROYED THEM.

Dihan
2009-05-23, 09:50 AM
If anyone wants to Brawl me this is my number:

0130-5971-9197

Just send me a PM to arrange the time or whatever.