PDA

View Full Version : [4e]Planning out a Sorcerer

NeoVid
2009-04-26, 06:47 PM
As soon as I saw the Chaos Sorcerer, I knew I had to play one. Problem is that I don't have enough opportunities to look through the books, I haven't found a Sorcerer Handbook, and I really don't want to play a badly designed character. So, for once I really need a hand.

I'm mostly looking for recommendations for heroic level. I'd still like ideas for later on, but by the time the character gets there, I'll have a much clearer idea what I'm doing, and there will be more material out there to work with.

I want a character who's highly effective at his job (which I think is AoE striker), but the insane randomness of the Chaos Sorc is why I'm interested in playing the class. I want to make sure he has a few good and unpredictable powers. I am a minmaxer, but I don't need a character that's as powerful as possible... just really good. :smallwink:

On to what I have decided on for now...

Human, since none of the races that have perfect stats for the class work as well with the backstory I have. 2 less Dex for an extra skill, feat and At Will isn't something I can complain about.

Stats:
I don't think I could have a better array. The 13 Str sets up for my Epic feat for improving my crits. I would have liked more HP and surges, but this looks like the best I'll get.

Skills:
Trained in Arcana, Bluff, Diplomacy and 2 others I can't decide on. Sorcs don't get any Dex class skills, and I have lousy base scores in most of the skills I'm able to choose from, so I'm not sure what's useful.

Feats: At 1st level, I'm copying a human wizard and taking Action Surge and Leather Armor Prof. Others that look good are multiclass Rogue, Distant Advantage and whatever you call the one that gives me +1 to hit after using a Sorc At-Will. I would also like to take Ritual Caster, though I really need to know how much use I would get out of that. The character's background would make Spellscarred feats fitting, but I figure they aren't good enough to skip other feats for. I'm not worried about Implement Expertise, since I can't imagine many DMs not house ruling it. Could really use more feat ideas. ...Oh yeah, at Paragon, could I take that feat that gives you -5 to hit allies, or was that Wizard only?

Powers: My lack of access to the books really hurts here. I'm told Sorcs are shorter on damage than they should be, so I really need good recommendations. From what I've seen of the At-wills, Chaos Bolt is must-have, and Dragonfrost looks solid. Not sure about the third one... should I take the Close Blast in case I get stuck in melee, and hope I don't blow up my friends, or the one from Arcane Power that lets me autodamage a second target? At-wills are all I've had time to really look at.

PP: Wild Mage. I don't think anything more perfect for the character will ever show up.

Epic Destiny: Not totally sure. None are really that fitting for the character while still having abilities cool enough to suit me. Magister looks fairly good, but by the time I have to worry about this, there's likely to be dozens more to choose from.

Items: I had a little time to look at AV, and Repulsion Armor sounds handy, while a Staff of Ruin seems absolutely perfect, unless I overlooked an implement that does something more useful than adding twice the item's bonus to damage and having d10 critical damage.

Well, that's all I've put together on my own so far. That's why I'm asking the experts.

Grynning
2009-04-27, 02:10 AM
As far as powers go, Human sorcerers have the nice option of being able to target any NAD with an at-will. Go with Acid Orb to target Reflex, Chaos Bolt for Will, and either Storm Walk or Dragonfrost for Fort.

For your trained skills, unfortunately, sorcerer's do not get Perception. Get Endurance and another Knowledge skill of some kind. Sure your bonus won't be sky high since they key off non-class stats, but it never hurts to be trained in those.

For feats, yes, you can take War Wizardy (-5 to hit allies) but it is Paragon level, so you have to wait til level 11 or 12. Sounds like you already have your Heroic level feats planned out well though. If you MC rogue, consider Sorcerous Blade Channeling...lets you turn your ranged powers into stabbity death powers, which can be handy if you end up in melee somehow (i.e., because you feel like it and it's fun :smalltongue:) though it's much better for rogues who MC sorc because of dagger mastery.

PHB II has a couple implements designed specifically for Sorcerers. I'm a big fan of the Tooth of Chaos Dagger myself (has a daily which lets you treat rolls as either even or odd for powers), haven't really looked at the staffs.

Finally, why do you not have access to the books? I mean, I know they're a little pricey, but if you're planning on playing this in a game it would be a VERY good idea to have your own books. Barring that, spring for a couple month subscription to DDI. The downloadable character generator has everything you need for building a character, and you can even print out power cards with complete rules text. It's very handy, especially for planning out min-maxed builds, because you can see the effects of each choice immediately and modify it at will.

NeoVid
2009-04-27, 02:28 AM
Hadn't thought about how I can hit every defense with the right power choices. I'll have to use that.

I just remembered seeing a new feat that lets sorcs use Arcana in place of Perception. My Arcana still won't be that good, but it still beats the crap out of my Perception score. If it doesn't work for passive, I don't think it'll be worth it.

I prefer not to spend the money on books unless they're for a game I intend to run myself. If I was in a group, there'd be plenty of people whose books I could look through, but I still haven't been able to find one that meets at a time I can play. If I do find one, I'd like to show up with a character ready to go.

Also, I like designing characters.

Grynning
2009-04-27, 02:32 AM
If you like designing characters, I reiterate my endorsement of the DDI character builder. It's really not too expensive to get a 3-6 month subscription, and it does give you access to every race, class, feat, item and power without having to buy the individual books (and it includes Dragon and published adventure content to boot). Arcane Power is the only thing that's not in it and it should be the next update.

Edit: There's also a free online JavaScript character builder here (http://www.pathguy.com/cg4.htm), but it has no rules text, just the names of the feats and powers, with some color dots for the key abilities of the powers, and no magic items incorporated.

Burley
2009-04-27, 08:50 AM
The Chaos Sorcerer is fun, but really, he's not the best at the AoO powers. The Dragon and Storm mages are, though.
I suggest a Halfling Storm Sorcerer. Your two important scores both get a racial bonus, and you have the +2 against opportunity attacks. That's helpful for setting up your AoO attacks. There is a feat in Arcane Power (get that book!) that negates attacks of opportunity when using Area attacks. I think it's sorcerer only, but it's still amazing. There is an at-will (with a Storm Sorcerer bonus effect) that deals a small amount of damage, but is the first area burst 1 at-will ever (i think...). 1d4 isn't great, but you can spam it, and you should have somewhere between a +6 to +9 to all your sorcerer spells anyways (Charisma and Dexterity damage).
Look into the familiars in Arcane Power, also. It's usually just a skill bump, but getting a +2 to Arcana is really helpful (especially for that Arcana for Perception/Insight feat). Also, if you're going to MC into rogue, look at the Rat familiar. +2 to stealth, and it can make Thievery checks, using your modifier+2, from 20 squares away. It can carry it's own set of lock picks, too.

Sir Homeslice
2009-04-27, 03:30 PM
If you MC rogue, consider Sorcerous Blade Channeling...lets you turn your ranged powers into stabbity death powers, which can be handy if you end up in melee somehow (i.e., because you feel like it and it's fun :smalltongue:)

No.

Blade Channeling effectively just lets you change the range on your Sorcerer powers to Melee 1, which still means it has the implement keyword. If you really need a melee attack that bad, take the Reaper's Touch feat in the Shadar-kai article in Dragon 372. Pick Acid Orb, and have fun. In fact, you should take Acid Orb and Reaper's Touch anyways, since it gives you a good MBA, which in turn gives you a good OA and the ability to charge.

ImperiousLeader
2009-04-27, 04:14 PM
Within your basic premise:

At-wills: I'd recommend the following: Burning Spray, Dragonfrost and Chaos Bolt. This hits all defenses and gives you a basic attack. Burning Spray grants an AoE at-will.

Feats:
- Arcane Reserves: new feat for human arcanists, gives you a bonus to at-will damage when your encounter attacks powers are gone. Great for Heroic, consider retraining at Paragon.
- Distant Advantage: gain CA when your allies flank foes.

Background:
Consider one that grants you a Dex skill. Criminal for Stealth, for example.

NeoVid
2009-04-27, 09:33 PM
Background:
Consider one that grants you a Dex skill. Criminal for Stealth, for example.

This is just the kind of thing I wouldn't have run across on my own. I had given up on finding a way to get Stealth without Skill Training, which wouldn't be worth it. It would be easy to fit in, since the backstory I have in mind already made multiclass Rogue fitting.

Hadn't thought too much about a familiar, despite how much everyone likes em. I now can't escape the image of a rat with a little toolbelt picking locks for me. Considering one of the main reasons I like the chaos sorc is the number of things it can do that will give me a reason to quietly laugh evilly to myself, this is Win.

Hm. It's looking like I'm about full up on Heroic feats. How about powers? They're what I'm least sure about.

Charity
2009-04-28, 04:01 AM
PP: Wild Mage. I don't think anything more perfect for the character will ever show up.

This is just the kind of thing I wouldn't have run across on my own. I had given up on finding a way to get Stealth without Skill Training, which wouldn't be worth it. It would be easy to fit in, since the backstory I have in mind already made multiclass Rogue fitting.

Dagger master is a very strong PP for the Sorcerer, 18-20 crit range on AOE is hard to beat.

Also all kinds of dual weilding is available to you (both impliment and weapon), for extra damage and AC.

I'm just going to chuck a couple of other things out there -

The drow have some excellent hand crossbow feats and two fisted shooter is very cool if you crit a lot... which you would with AOE 18-20 crit range.

If you want stealth and MC Rogue then try Ruthless Efficiency - It trains stealth and adds Ruthless Ruffian (which is probably useless but beats Skill Training if you were gonna go Rogue anyways.)

Another choice is Ranger MC just for the stance that allows you to make ranged basic (i.e. Dragonfrost) attacks on anyone that moves closer, it's level 5, but you have to be higher than that to swap a daily (is it 8 or 10? I always forget which way round the daily and utility swaps go).

Powers up to 15 or so-

At-will Powers: Chaos Bolt, Burning Spray (change BS to dragonfrost/acid orb if you need a ranged basic)
Encounter Powers: Bedeviling Burst, Flame Spiral/Ice Dragon's Teeth, Rimestorm, Mind Hammer
Daily Powers: Dazzling Ray, Thunder Leap, Contageous Curse, Hostility Charm
Utility Powers: Unseen Aid/Elemental Shift, Swift Escape, Narrow Escape