PDA

View Full Version : [Creature] Keep out ya varmints!

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-08-14, 02:35 PM
Split-rail Golem

http://www.fotosearch.com/comp/STK/STK001/BTP1050.jpg

Large Construct
Hit Dice: 4d10+30 (52 hp)
Initiative: -1
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 19 (-1 dex, +11 natural, -1 size), touch 8, flat-footed 19
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+13
Attack: Slam +8 melee (2d6+6)
Full Attack: 2 slams +8 melee (2d6+6)
Space/Reach: 10 ft. (40 feet in fence form)/10 ft. (0 ft. in fence form)
Special Attacks: Infested
Special Qualities: Calm animals, construct traits, darkvision 60 ft., fence form, immunity to magic, low-light vision
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +0, Will +1
Abilities: Str 22, Dex 9, Con -, Int -, Wis 11, Cha 1
Skills: -
Feats: -
Environment: Any land
Organization: Solitary or length (2–4)
Challenge Rating: 4
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 4-12 HD (Large), 13-24 HD (Huge)
Level Adjustment: -

A split-rail golem in its normal form is nearly indistinguishable from a standard split-rail fence. When threatened however it rises up as a stick figure-like construct composed of twisted and weathered wood with knobby pockmarks and holes speckling its surface. At each joint several rusty spikes connect the individual pieces.

Split-rail golems are the work of country mages as a defense for wealthy farmers who've a problem with bandits and dangerous beasts plaguing their lands. Though not a particularly powerful creation it is generally enough to ward off the majority of invasions.

A splitrail golem cannot speak or make any vocal noise. It walks and moves with a slow, sweeping gait. It weighs around 500 pounds.

Combat
A split-rail golem has little use for tactics, rising up at the command of its master or acting on orders to guard against predators and suspicious looking men. It then swings wildly with its wooden limbs until its opponents flee. If badly damaged however it releases the vermin from its woodwork to confuse and frighten.

Calm Animals (Sp): A split-rail golem continuously radiates an effect as the Calm Animals spell out to 10 feet.

Fence Form (Ex): As a full round action that provokes an attack of opportunity a split-rail golem can disassemble itself and stretch out to appear as a normal section of fencing or reassamble itself if already in this form.

Immunity to Magic (Ex): A split-rail golem is immune to any spell or spell-like ability that allows spell resistance. In addition, certain spells and effects function differently against the creature, as noted below.

A warp wood spell slows the golem (as the slow spell) for 1d6 rounds and deals 1d12 points of damage.

A wood shape spell causes the golem to shift between its harmless fence form and its golem every 1d8 rounds for 1 minute per caster level of the mage.

Infested (Sp): A split-rail golem naturally attracts strange vermin that inhabits its many crevices. Once per day a it can release a swarm of spiders as the Summon Swarm spell as a free action.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Construction

A splitrail golem’s body must be carved from rails split out of a downed darkwood tree and cured with rare oils and resins worth 1,000 gp as well as silver stakes worth 500 gp. Creating the body requires a DC 15 Craft (carpentry) check.

CL 4th; Craft Construct, animate wood, calm animals, summon swarm, wood shape, caster must be at least 4th level; Price 9,000 gp; Cost 5,000 gp + 200 XP.

martyboy74
2006-08-14, 03:06 PM
Shouldn't it have some weakness to fire?

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-08-14, 03:24 PM
Shouldn't it have some weakness to fire?
For one that'd be kind of hard to reconcile as they have immunity to fire-based spells that allow spell resistance.

So I'm just saying the stuff its treated with is fire retardent.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-08-14, 03:29 PM
I like how you point out that it has bad manners:
"A split-rail golem has little tact..."
Though the fact that it can't speak does leave open the question of how it manages to have amnners at all. ;)

Fax Celestis
2006-08-14, 03:31 PM
Though the fact that it can't speak does leave open the question of how it manages to have amnners at all. ;)
Body language.

That, and the language of love knows no boundaries.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-08-14, 03:38 PM
Body language.

That, and the language of love knows no boundaries.

That is just disturbing.

Fax Celestis
2006-08-14, 03:42 PM
That is just disturbing.
What's really disturbing is the amount of splinters you'd get.

Pain like no other.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-08-14, 03:53 PM
Actually meant it as it uses no special tactics or fancy maneuvers.

Zeal
2006-08-14, 03:53 PM
What's really disturbing is the amount of splinters you'd get.

Pain like no other.

Now that's disturbing.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-08-14, 04:16 PM
*brings in the garden hose and sprays everyone down*

Lord Iames Osari
2006-08-14, 04:26 PM
Actually meant it as it uses no special tactics or fancy maneuvers.
I know. It's just that I don't think "tact" means what you think it does.

NEO|Phyte
2006-08-14, 04:34 PM
Poor Durkon. Not even ritually disemboweled trees will stop harassing things.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-08-14, 05:01 PM
I know. It's just that I don't think "tact" means what you think it does.
lol, aye, I know what it means, I just need to adjust.

ghost_warlock
2006-08-14, 05:29 PM
Wow, VT, I can't believe how much I've enjoyed reading this thread - and it doesn't even have any tentacles in it! (At least it didn't...)

As a kid, my brother once got an inch-and-a-half splinter in an uncomfortable place while riding a wooden merry-go-round. I think my mom has it in a scrapbook somewhere. For...prosperity? :P

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-08-14, 05:41 PM
As a kid, my brother once got an inch-and-a-half splinter in an uncomfortable place while riding a wooden merry-go-round. I think my mom has it in a scrapbook somewhere. For...prosperity? :P
Speaking of disturbing...

DMgrinder
2006-08-15, 02:21 AM
Nah, My mom has naked baby pictures of me that she showed to my girlfriend(now ex) once. That was painful.

ghost_warlock
2006-08-15, 05:02 AM
Nah, My mom has naked baby pictures of me that she showed to my girlfriend(now ex) once. That was painful.
I show my exes my own naked baby pictures, thank you very much! (also :P )

Speaking of disturbing...

I prefer, when noting this sort of behavior on the part of my parents, to think of my childhood as "a nurturing environment for creativity" rather than as traumatic.

*Edit:* Waitaminute... VT, did something I posted disturb YOU!? Was a tale of my childhood really that freakish, compared with the delicious monstrosities your mind has birthed? Maybe I'll have to re-think that whole "trauma" thing...