PDA

View Full Version : breaking clericzilla further

Mooch
2009-04-26, 08:03 PM
I am going to be starting a high powered good aligned campaign at lvl4 through epic levels and would like to play a melee clericzilla, i have already gotten the saint templet with LA buyoff, DMM and unlimited nightsticks approved

Any suggestions or improvement

I have a few things left undecided and my current choices:
Deity: Mystra for initiate
Race: currently human but open to anything
Weapon: thinking spiked chain
Feats: with two flaws i already have extend, persist, DMM persist, power attack, weapon prof(spiked chain) combat expertise (eventually imp trip, knockdown and quicken)
Domains: planning and undeath are the defaults
prestige class: ordained champion but i haven't had borrowed CC to check it out myself yet

Other information:
All books open source as well as dragon magazines
rolled stats are: 14 14 14 14 18 18 (roll 4d6 reroll 1s)
the rest of the party is a thri-keen warblade, beguiler/mindbender

olentu
2009-04-26, 08:18 PM
You might want to look at the cloistered cleric rather then the usual version. If you use the variant the knowledge devotion feat is something to consider. Also if you can get by without the undeath domain there might be some better domain. Also taking the variant that exchanges spontaneous heals for spontaneous casting from one of your domains is something to look into.

JeminiZero
2009-04-26, 08:24 PM
Out of curiosity, why Saint? Most of its benefits can be substituted by your higher level spells. Its OK if it were free LA, but otherwise, losing Caster Levels is generally not worth it.

tyckspoon
2009-04-26, 08:36 PM
Its OK if it were free LA, but otherwise, losing Caster Levels is generally not worth it.

i have already gotten the saint templet with LA buyoff,

It'll be free LA around level.. 9, I think, is when you can pay off LA+2 completely.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-04-26, 09:51 PM
How is a Cleric of Mystra going to get those domains? You may as well go with a Cheater of Mystra with Dweomerkeeper (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20040522a), using the feat Magical Training (PGtF) to meet the arcane spellcasting prerequisite without multiclassing. In that case you need the Magic domain, and the Rune domain gives you Scribe Scroll to meet the other requirements (and those are domains that Mystra can actually grant). You can google "cheater of mystra" to find all the tricks included in that build.

Curmudgeon
2009-04-27, 07:25 PM
It'll be free LA around level.. 9, I think, is when you can pay off LA+2 completely. Not exactly "free", because you'll forever be 16,000 XP behind everybody else. But free of future lag-behind effects, yes. You'll be 2 levels behind other characters without LA for most of your non-Epic levels, and will only catch up to just 1 level behind at level 16 (you)/17 (everybody else).

Jack_Simth
2009-04-27, 07:40 PM
Not exactly "free", because you'll forever be 16,000 XP behind everybody else. But free of future lag-behind effects, yes. You'll be 2 levels behind other characters without LA for most of your non-Epic levels, and will only catch up to just 1 level behind at level 16 (you)/17 (everybody else).
Au contraire - he'll be a level behind for a short period of time (just like an item crafter), and then the 3.5 XP mechanic that gives more XP to those lower in level will kick in, and he'll be roughly even (just like an item crafter).

As to the OP....
Let's see... you can't get Craft Rod for a while, but do make sure to get it - it'll cheapen the Nightsticks considerably.

Those are some insane rolls - 18's go in Wisdom (for your spell casting) and Con (survival and Concentration), the rest get the 14's (which you'll boost with spells).

As to the rest... you've already got your plan laid out for you, really. One suggestion: Focus on party-wide buffs, not personal buffs. The cheese inherent in Divine Metamagic (Persistent Spell) is a lot more palatable when it boosts the entire party, rather than just one character (it's also ultimately more effective). Mass Lesser Vigor (and later Mass Vigor, and later, Vigorous Circle), Elation, Recitation, Holy Aura (or the appropriate other-alignment mirror of your choice), and Righteous Wrath of the Faithful are the spells you'll want to shoot for. Also, don't forget to stock up on Greater Magic Weapon, Magic Vestments, and Heroes' Feast when they're available. When the rest of the party is at +7 to-hit, +4 to-damage, +7 or +8 to saves, +8 to AC, have Fast Healing, and can spend their weapon and armor budget on +X equivalents while still having the +X Enhancements, they'll thank you. Especially so for anyone who gets stuck in melee.

Then again, you're the only one who'll be in melee, aren't you? Meh. Oh well.

Mooch
2009-04-27, 10:07 PM
Last night I got approval to reflavor the Warweaver prestige(HoB) class as a divine prestige class so party wide buffs should always be happening often.

As for Dweomerkeeper the link provided went to complete divine rather than the class, after looking at it and cheater of Mystra on gleemax I am a bit confused. The copy of PGtF doesn't have supernatural spell as an ability but it is mentioned in the build. (Also where is the rune domain from?)

As for being the only one in melee the thri-kreen warblade will be there with me.

Edit: sorry missed the link was to the errata that shows the dweomerkeeper