PDA

View Full Version : [SWSE] Need help understanding how Licensing works with Starships (long)

KillianHawkeye
2009-04-26, 10:31 PM
Long story short, me and my group are going to be paid extremely well by the New Republic for rescuing Lando Calrissian from some Imperial dungeon, and I have to think about how I'm going to spend 100,000 credits. Being that my character is the pilot, I figure it's about time I got my own ship (or two). However, I ran into a little snag while looking at my books.

Now, I can see that starships (and other vehicles) all have Availability ratings just like weapons (Licensed, Restricted, Military, etc.) and use the same system found on p.118-119 of the Core Rulebook, so that you can own the ship legally. There are also three other permits & licenses on p.10 of Starships of the Galaxy, which I guess you need to get for each ship to operate it legally.

Got it? Okay, here's my first question: Let's say I want to buy an A-Wing, but it's pretty expensive so I want to get one that's "Used". It requires a Military-grade license to purchase one, which costs 20% of the amount of the item itself. So is that 20% of the items normal cost, or 20% of the cost of the "used" starfighter? (Either way, it's a lot of money, but one I could afford and the other, definitely not.)

Second, while the Captain's Accredited License and Ship's Operating License from SotG are both pretty self-explanitory, how much does the Arms Load-Out Permit cost? It references the weapon availability and the restricted items section on p.118 of the SECR. Does it just mean that I have to pay for the licenses for all the ship's weapons? If so, do I have to that again if I get another ship with the same type of weapons? (Normally, you only need one license for a certain type of weapon.) If I have multiple weapons of the same type on a single ship, do I only have to pay the cost for that weapon system once (for that ship)?

Should I just see if I can get my GM to handwave this away? I'd actually like to know how to answer this, since I am currently running my own Saga Edition campaign for this group and will probably get players shopping for a starship in the not-too-distant future.

Bulwer
2009-04-26, 11:04 PM
Forge it: cheap now, possibilities for adventure later! Who needs real paperwork anyway?

KillianHawkeye
2009-04-27, 06:45 AM
Yeah, I know, forged documents are a solution. Actually, they're just a way to avoid the problem. That doesn't really answer my question(s), though.

Doomsy
2009-04-28, 02:54 AM
I'd honestly see if your GM can handwave. You didn't sign on to play to SWSE to wade through paperwork. Otherwise, forge it. Proper licenses for military hardware and gear seem pretty suspicious in the first place, and from a logic standpoint, you'd need a license for both the weaponry and the starship itself - having a disarmed fighter would be one license, the weaponry for it another, etc.

The whole thing is a lot of paperwork, and like I said, you *probably* didn't sign on to do all this crap, and the GM probably will handwave it rather than go through the process. Makes for a better story and story hook that way.

KillianHawkeye
2009-05-01, 08:49 PM
Really? I've got 2 for handwaving. Hasn't anybody actually figured this out yet??

Okay, I think I'll handle the Arms Load-Out Permit like buying normal weapon licenses, with the exception that you need to account for every weapon-type on the ship regardless of what other ships you have that are mounting similar weapons.

As for the ownership license, I am leaning toward it costing X% of the full cost of the non-Used version. I don't think the BoSS cares what condition your ship is in, there's just one license regardless.

Does this make sense to anybody else?