PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Help optimising a cleric.

Myou
2009-04-27, 07:55 AM
In a campign I'm running a new cleric PC is being introduced soon, he's going to be starting at level 7 and I'm hoping you guys can give me some suggestions for his build that I can pass along.

He's playing as a homebrewed aasimar race and he wants to focus on healing the party in combat, while also helping in melee and generally being awesome.

Aasimar;

• Creature Type: Medium Outsider (Native). As medium creatures aasimar gain no special benefits or penalties from their size.
• Aasimar base land speed is 30ft.
• Low-Light Vision: Aasimar can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. They retain the ability to distinguish colour and detail under these conditions.
• Light Spell-Like Ability: Aasimar can cast Light at will as a spell-like ability with a caster level equal to their character level.
• +2 bonuses to Wisdom and Charisma.
• Automatic Languages: Common, Celestial.
• Aging: Adulthood - 200, Middle Age - 400, Old Age - 600, Venerable Age – 800, Maximum age - +2d200

Pertinent houserules;

1. Your Hit Dice always give maximum HP.

2. Spells, spell-like and supernatural abilities and other magical effects that restore the target’s HP give double the HP shown. (1d8+1 becomes 2d8+2, etc).

6. Players die at the half the additive inverse of their HP. If their HP is x they die at 0.5*-x.

7. Player characters get a bonus feat at level 1.

12. You cannot reduce the cost of a metamagic enhancement to less than +0 and enhancements that have a base cost of +2 or higher can never be reduced to less than +1.

13. Candles of Invocation and Nightsticks do not exist.

20. You cannot take a second prestige class until you have taken all non-epic levels in all of your existing prestige classes.

22. Vows (such as the Vow of Poverty), character flaws and character traits are not allowed.

25. Full spellcasters who can cast 0th level spells (e.g. wizards but not bards) now have the ability to cast any 0th level spell they know without preparation, even if they couldn't do so before. If they wish to enhance a 0th level spell with metamagic this house rule does not apply.

32. Domain spells are not set; instead characters should select thematically appropriate spells when they gain access to a domain. Spell selections are subject to DM approval.

37. Characters gain innate bonuses as shown in the Innate Magic rules.

38. Spellcasters use the spell points variant.

And suggestions for his build are much appreciated. ^^

Gorbash
2009-04-27, 08:58 AM
Well, he'd be more awesome if he didn't heal, because it's a fact that in-combat healing is sub-par to actually killing the things that are doing damage.

Why so many buffs for players? Spellcasters, especially.

Myou
2009-04-27, 09:14 AM
Well, he'd be more awesome if he didn't heal, because it's a fact that in-combat healing is sub-par to actually killing the things that are doing damage.

Why so many buffs for players? Spellcasters, especially.

Well, since healing is doubled it should be more useful.
And at the moment the party has no healing at all.

Because it's a high-power campaign I guess, I don't think there are a huge number of 'buffs' for players.

And what are spellcasters getting, other than spell points?

Gorbash
2009-04-27, 09:23 AM
Well, since healing is doubled it should be more useful.

Not really, it's about the same, since everyone gets max HP.

And what are spellcasters getting, other than spell points?

Why would they need anything else? The only problem wizards (and to lesser extent, Clercs) actually have is that they have to plan ahead to prepare spells in order to unleash their full potential. And that's the main difference between Sorcerers and Wizards - sorcerers just pick spells on the fly, out of their severly limited list, while wizards prepare ahead out of their spellbooks which can contain any number of spells.

Spell points eliminate the only drawback of Vancian spellcasting, since Wizards are now prepared for any situation imaginable.

Myou
2009-04-27, 09:47 AM
Not really, it's about the same, since everyone gets max HP.

Except that damage isn't increased, so healing is more effective.

Why would they need anything else? The only problem wizards (and to lesser extent, Clercs) actually have is that they have to plan ahead to prepare spells in order to unleash their full potential. And that's the main difference between Sorcerers and Wizards - sorcerers just pick spells on the fly, out of their severly limited list, while wizards prepare ahead out of their spellbooks which can contain any number of spells.

Spell points eliminate the only drawback of Vancian spellcasting, since Wizards are now prepared for any situation imaginable.

Edit: Well, this is off topic so let's not get into it.
Sorry about being sarcastic, I was in a bad mood for unrelated reasons.

Eldariel
2009-04-27, 10:23 AM
The house rules really make using PrCs difficult as very few Cleric PrCs are worth it for all 10 levels. Frankly, I'd just go for Dweomerkeeper [CDWeb] (qualifying with Magical Training [PGtF]) all the way, finishing with Contemplative [CD], Sacred Exorcist [CD], Divine Disciple [PGtF], Divine Oracle [CD] or any such.

But Cleric 5/Dweomerkeeper 10/X 5 seems like the way to go with those limitations. As PrC dipping is not allowed, you're limited to the few PrCs that are written well enough to be takeable all the way, and as you can't take Contemplative before level 11, you'd be missing out a lot if going for that. As an Aasimar, "Magical Training" makes a bunch of sense too, seeing they have otherworldly heritage, racial spell-likes and so on (some DMs might even let it pass without Magical Training to qualify with their spell-likes, but I wouldn't). LA buyoff would be sweet though, else he's going to be behind all the way.

So yeah, DMM: Persist or no (it's not a bad option considering his racial Charisma-bonus), a basic Cleric-shell with some metamagic and some melee feats he's interested, and something useful to do with his turnings (Divine Spell Power, Divine Metamagic, Divine Might, pimped out Turning-check, some such) and a ton of Extra Turnings if going Divine Metamagic is what I'd do.

Myou
2009-04-27, 11:39 AM
The house rules really make using PrCs difficult as very few Cleric PrCs are worth it for all 10 levels. Frankly, I'd just go for Dweomerkeeper [CDWeb] (qualifying with Magical Training [PGtF]) all the way, finishing with Contemplative [CD], Sacred Exorcist [CD], Divine Disciple [PGtF], Divine Oracle [CD] or any such.

But Cleric 5/Dweomerkeeper 10/X 5 seems like the way to go with those limitations. As PrC dipping is not allowed, you're limited to the few PrCs that are written well enough to be takeable all the way, and as you can't take Contemplative before level 11, you'd be missing out a lot if going for that. As an Aasimar, "Magical Training" makes a bunch of sense too, seeing they have otherworldly heritage, racial spell-likes and so on (some DMs might even let it pass without Magical Training to qualify with their spell-likes, but I wouldn't). LA buyoff would be sweet though, else he's going to be behind all the way.

So yeah, DMM: Persist or no (it's not a bad option considering his racial Charisma-bonus), a basic Cleric-shell with some metamagic and some melee feats he's interested, and something useful to do with his turnings (Divine Spell Power, Divine Metamagic, Divine Might, pimped out Turning-check, some such) and a ton of Extra Turnings if going Divine Metamagic is what I'd do.

Hmmm, that regional feat is really taking advantage of the RAW over RAI, but I guess it's not unreasonable as a cost in a high-powered campaign. Although I think I'd make the number of uses the feat gives unlimited, to match what other casters get.

There's no LA, if you look at the spoiler'd details for the aasimar in my campaign, so that's not an issue.

DMM or something simliar is another good thing, I'll suggest that too. :3

Thanks for the advice. ^^

Oh, and are there any feats to improve his healing ability?