PDA

View Full Version : Katars at Low Levels

Zaq
2009-04-27, 10:33 AM
So, simply because they're cool, I'm a fan of katars. (And they are katars, dammit, not "punching daggers." If you want to call a katar a "punching dagger," I get to call a rapier a "thrusting sword.") However, as far as I'm concerned, you don't wield one katar. You always use two of 'em, end of story. Now, mechanically, katars aren't that powerful (they are both simple and light weapons, after all, with nothing really fancy in their favor), and two-weapon fighting is often very problematic. That said, what's the lowest level you could make a character who dual-wields katars without drooling on themselves?

I've toyed with a few different ideas... none of them seem very good, though. Tome of Battle might be an idea, but of the low-level Tiger Claw maneuvers, only one really seems to work with two-weapon fighting, despite Tiger Claw's reputation as "the two-weapon school." So that's tricky.

Remember, this isn't "Get X benefit as good as you can by level Y." It's closer to "How soon can you make this work without being incredibly underpowered?"

LibraryOgre
2009-04-27, 11:58 AM
1st level rogue with TWF; at 3rd level, with Weapon Finesse, you get pretty darn nice, since you've got a minimum of +2 to attack (since you needed a 15 Dex, and now have a +2 BAB), and are doing 1D4+1D6 damage per sneak attack. You're never going to be fantastic, but a good rogue sneak attack damage is worth a lot.