PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Homebrew Hork-Bajir, assistance needed!

The Dark Fiddler
2009-04-27, 08:18 PM
I figured since this is actually a bit (As in, hardly at all, as I still have to grasp a lot of the rules), it wouldn't be proper to post in the Homebrew request thread, but I wanted to make a Homebrew monster for Hork-Bajir (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hork-Bajir). So far, this is all I've figured might be good:

Racial Stat Bonuses:
-2 Int, -2 Cha, +2 Wis, +2 Dex
Should get Illiteracy, somehow. Any alignment. Favored class Druid.

Languages:
Common
Bonus Languages:
Draconic

This is really all I have, it's pretty pathetic too. Help?

quick_comment
2009-04-27, 08:43 PM
I would also give +2 to strength, a racial climb speed and two claw attacks.

Bulwer
2009-04-27, 08:44 PM
Natural attacks, certainly-- frankly, for there to be enough to satisfy me that they're really Hork-Bajir, it would be enough to give them an LA.

Balance bonus, for the tail? Survival bonus?

EDIT: They were pretty stupid, too: I'd say a -4 or even -6 INT penalty.

Flickerdart
2009-04-27, 08:46 PM
They have lots of spikes, so give them a Claw/Claw/Tail attack routine (1d4/1d4/1d6?) and Favoured Class Monk would be better. Give them Scent (did they have that?) and possibly Darkvision. Large size category. +2 racial bonus to Survival.

You could probably modify Lizardfolk into these guys quite easily.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-04-27, 08:54 PM
Well, I figured Druid because they tended to live in harmony with nature. Or... was that just because they lacked the technology to NOT live with nature?

Ah well. I'm surprised enough people know what a Hork-Bajir is (Assuming you guys didn't just follow the link to Wikipedia <.<).

Maybe after this we'll have to do Andalites:smallamused:.

quick_comment
2009-04-27, 09:06 PM
I would also toss in a -2 to search and spot checks, because their vision isnt as good as humans.

Vorpal word
2009-04-27, 09:09 PM
Yes! I was waiting for someone to bring these up!

My variant is:
+2 Str, +2 Dex, -2 Int, -2 Wis, -2 Cha (If anyone read the Hork-Bajir chronicles, they aren't very good at catching on to things)

No favored class; Hork-Bajir aren't warlike, and lack the brains for anything else. It's your call though.

Natural Attacks: 2 arm blades (1d6), 2 leg blades (1d4), tail blade (1d4). Can get multiattack.
+1 Natural Armor from all the spikes.
Fast Healing 2 (Jara Hamee is an example from the series).
Speed 40ft, Climb 20 ft

LA:+1

Also:

Hork-Bajir Seer

About one in a million Hork-Bajir is born a seer. Seers have the same stats as other Hork-Bajir, with the following exceptions.

No penalty to Int, Wis, or Cha.

LA: +2

Note that the children of a seer are ordinary Hork-Bajir (though there is a small chance that they, too, are seers)

Lappy9000
2009-04-27, 09:12 PM
Found a few examples for you:

DandDWiki (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Hork-Bajir_(DnD_Race))

LetsGetItOut.com (http://www.letsgetitout.com/kev/dnd/monsters/custom/hork-bajir.htm)

Krimm_Blackleaf (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38103)

Flickerdart
2009-04-27, 09:21 PM
Well, I figured Druid because they tended to live in harmony with nature. Or... was that just because they lacked the technology to NOT live with nature?

Ah well. I'm surprised enough people know what a Hork-Bajir is (Assuming you guys didn't just follow the link to Wikipedia <.<).

Maybe after this we'll have to do Andalites:smallamused:.
Andalites would just be Centaurs with Telepathy, a tail attack and INT bonuses. Oh, and certainly Aberrations. They'd have favoured Druid though, because of the morphing thing.

Fizban
2009-04-28, 03:30 AM
I'd agree with the claw/claw/tail attack routine, say 1d6/1d6/1d8, cause those blades are big. Give them +2-4 natural armor for thick skin and at least 2 racial hit dice. They're fast, at least 40' movement speed if not 50' (they kept up with wolves on the ground I'm pretty sure). Fast and tough, say +4 dex and con. Either large size or powerful build. They've wrestled against tigers and grizzly bears and came out on top often enough to warrant +8 strength on top of the powerful build. Not very smart, -4 int. Not very forceful of personality, seers are the only strong leaders: -4 cha. A hork-bajir that rolls a 16 or higher int is born a seer, and loses their mental stat penalties (kinda ham fisted, but I like it better than a straight % chance).

One thing is clear: no way are you getting away with a +0 LA Hork-Bajir. They're a credible threat to deadly land predators, which means at least 2-4 racial hit dice, large size equivalent in a grapple, and 18 or more strength with assorted other bonuses.

Knaight
2009-04-28, 05:37 PM
Fast Healing 2 probably isn't enough to cut it. Somewhat higher than that would work well, or something that scaled with level.

DanielLC
2009-04-29, 12:16 AM
You need a mention that Hork-Bajir can still use their natural weapons when their hands are full, sort of like monks.

The fact that they eat bark deserves mention, as it makes it a lot easier to get food when you're going through a forest.