PDA

View Full Version : Mic/headset volume: (teh fix'dzoarz)

Ego Slayer
2009-04-28, 01:03 PM
Okay, so I had to get some headphones with a mic... except the computer is refusing to pick up sound properly. It can just barely pick it up and all the tests I've done through the Windows recording program and Skype test calls are so quiet you pretty much can't hear. I'm intending to use it through Ventrilo, though, which doesn't have a test option that I know of. The annoying thing was that the mic on a webcam I tried with this computer gave the same results, except that the WoW ingame voice chat picked it up just fine and it just barely picks up the mic I have now, which is sorta irrelevant, 'cos I'm trying to use Vent. I tried to search some troubleshooting stuff, but all the settings they've sent me to check are as they should be.

I don't know what to doooo...:smallfrown: *looks around for some tech help*

dagaarn
2009-04-28, 01:13 PM
try the little dial on the cord of the headset...if there isn't one then you bought a bad set...

InaVegt
2009-04-28, 01:15 PM
Brand/model of mic?
OS and version?

Ego Slayer
2009-04-28, 01:21 PM
Dag, its got one of those cord volume control thingies... but its... volume, not mic volume. Of the couple mics I've had around, the cord dials controlled output sound. :smallconfused:

Ina, its a Sennheiser mic. Dunno if I'd ever heard of the brand before I bought them. :P Windows XP.

Ego Slayer
2009-04-28, 01:33 PM
Actually... y'know, I'm gonna create my own OS so I won't hide the ONE option that seems to remedy this (gonna have to wait for someone to be on Vent to actually try there), deep in the options. :smallannoyed: There's like this "mic boost" thing. You'd think they'd organize their mic options better and on one tab instead of having to flip through so many options and 'Advanced' bs. Sigh.

InaVegt
2009-04-28, 01:34 PM
Ina, its a Sennheiser mic. Dunno if I'd ever heard of the brand before I bought them. :P Windows XP.

Sennheiser is very good, certainly one of the best of the world.

Sadly enough, just because it says Sennheiser doesn't mean it is. Sennheisers, especially the lower end ones are often replicated at low quality, very low quality. They're much cheaper than real Sennheisers.

How much did you pay, and what model?

Ego Slayer
2009-04-28, 01:42 PM
Got them from Amazon. (http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-PC131-Binaural-Headset-Adjustable/dp/B000NH4EI4/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1240943900&sr=8-1) Seems like a pretty good quality, for only being $30. I'm surprised the actual sound quality of the headphones... better than I expected. :P