PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Research Help

skywalker
2009-04-28, 02:32 PM
Hey guys, I'm writing an English paper about Star Wars (imagine that, eh?) and there are a few "behind-the-scenes" facts that I'm wondering if somebody who knows this a little better than me can point me to a source for.

Specifically, it has been said that the only reason why Luke's lightsaber in Episode 6 is green is because blue did not show up well against the desert sand of Tatooine. Does anyone know of a reputable place I can get this information to cite?

I may ask some more questions later in this thread.

Thanks in advance!

Sholos
2009-04-28, 02:50 PM
Probably not exactly what you're looking for, but here's at least a trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZFBclIaL7k) showing a blue lightsaber. It shows up around 1:08.

sebsmith
2009-04-28, 03:59 PM
Both wikis say it was for better appearance against the blue sky, but the only source either gives is the above video.

skywalker
2009-04-28, 08:43 PM
Both wikis say it was for better appearance against the blue sky, but the only source either gives is the above video.

Yeah I found the same thing. Fortunately IMDB says it as well, and I can cite the trailer itself.

Next question: Does anybody know where they talk about Samuel L. Jackson getting a purple saber "because he wanted it?"

ZeroNumerous
2009-04-28, 08:47 PM
He returned for Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones, increasing his role from a small role to a supporting role. Mace Windu's purple lightsaber in the film was the result of Jackson's suggestion;[2] he wanted to be sure that his character would stand out in a crowded battle scene.[19]

Font of all human knowledge (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_L._Jackson).

skywalker
2009-04-28, 08:55 PM
Font of all human knowledge (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_L._Jackson).

See, the funny thing there is that the wiki quotes "Inside the actor's studio" (which I obviously can't watch) and IMDB. The IMDB article states that it wasn't just because he wanted to stand out. Apparently, he wanted to be outside the general "red=bad, blue=good" structure. Which would certainly apply, given that we're to believe Mace is in touch with his "inner darkness."

Battleship789
2009-04-28, 09:22 PM
See, the funny thing there is that the wiki quotes "Inside the actor's studio" (which I obviously can't watch) and IMDB. The IMDB article states that it wasn't just because he wanted to stand out. Apparently, he wanted to be outside the general "red=bad, blue=good" structure. Which would certainly apply, given that we're to believe Mace is in touch with his "inner darkness."

This is correct. Jackson asked Lucas what colors there were for lightsabers. Lucas replied that there was blue and green = good guys and red = bad guys. Jackson asked if he could have a purple one and Lucas said "You might get purple."

The above is from the article "Straight From the Hip" which is an interview with Samuel L. Jackson conducted by Brett Rector for the Star Wars Insider magazine (issue 80 (March 2005)). Hope that helps.

P.S. It isn't quoted directly, I'd have to go back to my house and look at the article again to do that (won't be able to get there till Thursday).

skywalker
2009-04-28, 09:31 PM
This is correct. Jackson asked Lucas what colors there were for lightsabers. Lucas replied that there was blue and green = good guys and red = bad guys. Jackson asked if he could have a purple one and Lucas said "You might get purple."

The above is from the article "Straight From the Hip" which is an interview with Samuel L. Jackson conducted by Brett Rector for the Star Wars Insider magazine (issue 80 (March 2005)). Hope that helps.

P.S. It isn't quoted directly, I'd have to go back to my house and look at the article again to do that (won't be able to get there till Thursday).

Yeah I guess it's enough to say that Jackson portrays Windu as a bit more... on the edge than other jedi, so it fits.

My original point was that color doesn't matter, tho.

Battleship789
2009-04-28, 09:36 PM
My original point was that color doesn't matter, tho.

That is possible, though I think that Jackson probably did want to stand out a bit. He did ask if it was a possibility for him to have a different lightsaber. I think it is also mentioned in that interview I talked about. I'll have to look at it again when I get home on Thursday...

DwaggieBard
2009-04-28, 09:40 PM
I think it's mentioned in the commentary for Star Wars III. If I recall correctly, he said he wanted two things: A purple lightsaber, and a dramatic death. And they were certainly able to give him that.

skywalker
2009-04-29, 02:47 AM
Alright, one more questions, probably won't get a response before backup, oh well.

Question is, how on Earth would you cite the DVD commentary track?

Ichneumon
2009-04-29, 03:00 AM
Alright, one more questions, probably won't get a response before backup, oh well.

Question is, how on Earth would you cite the DVD commentary track?

Said by Someone Someone in an interview published on the "Star Wars Something"-DVD titled "name of interview or whatever".

Something like that?:smallsmile: