PDA

View Full Version : Computer question - Can I move program files to an external hard drive?

Pocketa
2009-04-28, 06:48 PM
Or rather, MAY I move my program files to an external hard drive?

tl;dr: My computer has ~100GB internal memory, and I have an external drive with the same amount. I noticed that I had installed a ton of games I never use (Sins of a Solar Empire, The Sims 2 + 2 expansion packs, Command and Conquer Saga <the whole series, ever, in a box>).

My question:

Can I move the folder (i.e. "C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Command and Conquer") to my external drive safely and just move it back when I want to play it?

I'm not planning on running the games off of the external drive, just storing them there, because I have ~600MB left on my laptop ATM, which isn't good.

(If I posted this in the wrong place, I apologize, I couldn't find the tech board and I thought there was one on here)

Mando Knight
2009-04-28, 06:58 PM
If you aren't allowed to, then my copy of GalCiv2 and NWN2 are breakin' the law...

You should be able to transfer the whole folder to an external drive, and provided the drive remains connected to your computer the whole time, even run the program.

Innis Cabal
2009-04-28, 07:00 PM
Program files has more then just games and things, I would suggest not doing so...even if it will let you do it. Chances are it won't let you move the folder because there are aps that are running that you can't shut down

Pocketa
2009-04-28, 07:07 PM
Well, I don't WANT to run it off the drive, I just don't want to have it stored on my laptop because it has very little memory left. I've moved what I can, it's just the EA GAMES folder contains too much stuff.

Lupy
2009-04-28, 07:07 PM
You could zip them and then transfer them, I believe.

Innis Cabal
2009-04-28, 07:10 PM
I'd suggest uninstalling games you never play. Saves room on both drives. You can always re-install

B-Man
2009-04-28, 07:12 PM
Yes, you would be able. I should know as I have had few of my games transferred from C:\Program Files\ to my external drives. As long as the games don't refer to any other directory you would be able to move the directories to your external and still be able to use them from the external or move them back with no worrying.

Starscream
2009-04-28, 08:26 PM
I've done this lots of times. For some games it might not work, but there's an easy way to tell: simply copy it to your external drive and try to run it. If it works you can probably safely remove the copy from your internal drive.

Might want to back up any save files just to be safe.

Don Julio Anejo
2009-04-28, 08:36 PM
In 95% of cases you can do it and it'll work perfectly well. The only thing you'd have to change would be the desktop shortcuts so they would point to the new directory.

Also, I've done some research. In the US under "fair use" law, you can do anything you want with any CD you own (music, software, etc). Unlike what the software companies try to tell you, you buy the CD and anything on it is yours to do whatever you want with, including crack, burn a dozen copies of, reverse engineer, etc. The only thing you can't really do is post copies (i.e. ISO files) on the internet.

Also, physically burning games and handing them out to your buddies is legal too, so is playing the same copy as many times as you want. Won't prevent game companies from suing you if they catch you doing it and they'll probably win because they have better lawyers but technically all those EULAs that forbid you from copying games are breaking the laws.

PS: the only time it's illegal to use one copy of a game from multiple computers if it's an internet cafe or the like. You would need a separate license for it because using software would qualify as a public performance. In this case even purchasing a separate copy for each computer that runs it is still illegal without a specific license.

bluewind95
2009-04-28, 08:53 PM
I think what you're asking is if you can temporarily move programs to another drive when not in use. You can do that. Sometimes programs will use registry keys and that might conflict with trying to run them from a different location. But moving them back to program files when you intend to run them should work. After all, you're not deleting anything from the registry: it still thinks it's all properly installed.

Pocketa
2009-04-28, 09:06 PM
I think what you're asking is if you can temporarily move programs to another drive when not in use. You can do that. Sometimes programs will use registry keys and that might conflict with trying to run them from a different location. But moving them back to program files when you intend to run them should work. After all, you're not deleting anything from the registry: it still thinks it's all properly installed.

Thanks! Thread closed due to lack of need of more posts. I love you all for posting and helping!