PDA

View Full Version : Monster Questions [Any Edition]

Lappy9000
2009-04-28, 07:05 PM
After searching the Monster Manual and Google, I've found little to nothing regarding some of these monsters. Well, there's quite a few monsters who fall into this category, but I was wondering it there was any well established fluff about Achaierai or Xill.

Hopefully there's a canny blood or two amongst ya who knows the chant on these fiends better than a young primer like meself.

Tsotha-lanti
2009-04-28, 07:18 PM
Achaierai take up two pages in the Planes of Law Monstrous Supplement for Planescape.

So here's the chant: they're carnivorous birds found on Acheron. They're carnivorous but also eat iron (Acheron is a bunch of iron cubes in space), which goes into their well-armored legs. They're intelligent and gregarious, living in small flocks that migrate and congregate, flying from cube to cube in Avalas. They live around 30 years and mate for life (Lawful Evil), but as hatchlings are liable to kill their clutch-mates. They're adult at three. They speak Planar Common and all bird languages. They're somewhat symbiotic with rust dragons (which aren't actually dragons of any sort, but more like giant rust monsters; 3.X got this all wrong), hatching them in rust cocoons and treating them like pets and guard-animals, using them to tunnel nests into the iron cubes.

I could have sworn the xill were covered by one of the Monstrous Supplements for Planescape - either in the Planescape boxed set itself, or Planes of Chaos, Conflict, or Law - but I couldn't find an entry for them. Go figure. Maybe I misremember where I saw them covered.

afroakuma
2009-04-28, 07:22 PM
Lappy, for any questions on planar or spelljamming monsters feel free to PM me. I have all the old stuff. I'll track the old xill for you... I know they were around.

Aaaand there they are, in the PSMCIII.

Though certain xill claim to be more civilized than their savage kin, the Planes by and large are familiar only with the barbaric members of the race, which has no spoken language. These are feared across the Ethereal and Inner Planes, for they lurk at the borders, hoping to incapacitate prey and drag it back home. The so-called "Higher" xill have only the venom for a single bite each day, as they consider it beneath them to employ; many of these train as clerics, and the High Clans worship a diverse pantheon.

Whereas "Lower Clan" xill are cruel brutes that seem to have no drive beyond reproduction (they do not acknowledge a division between High and Low, and do not craft or use tools), High Clan xill prefer weapons over claws, tools over leavings, and conversation over hostility. High Clan xill don not automatically assume a predator/prey relationship with those they encounter, and rarely leave the Ethereal Plane. Many are traders, and some even serve as planar guides.

It is said that the High Clans have the same reproductive needs as the Low, and keep a secret hatchery where mortals are bred like cattle to serve as living incubators. The High Clans prefer to keep this rumor stifled, and most who trade with them are eager to downplay it as well.

AbyssKnight
2009-04-28, 07:23 PM
Xill are red scaled extraplanar being with four arms. Lawful evil, they use intelligent creatures to incubate their eggs (I think the intelligence of the "host" affected the intelligence of the hatchling).

Lappy9000
2009-04-28, 07:31 PM
Achaierai take up two pages in the Planes of Law Monstrous Supplement for Planescape.

So here's the chant: they're carnivorous birds found on Acheron. They're carnivorous but also eat iron (Acheron is a bunch of iron cubes in space), which goes into their well-armored legs. They're intelligent and gregarious, living in small flocks that migrate and congregate, flying from cube to cube in Avalas. They live around 30 years and mate for life (Lawful Evil), but as hatchlings are liable to kill their clutch-mates. They're adult at three. They speak Planar Common and all bird languages. They're somewhat symbiotic with rust dragons (which aren't actually dragons of any sort, but more like giant rust monsters; 3.X got this all wrong), hatching them in rust cocoons and treating them like pets and guard-animals, using them to tunnel nests into the iron cubes.

I could have sworn the xill were covered by one of the Monstrous Supplements for Planescape - either in the Planescape boxed set itself, or Planes of Chaos, Conflict, or Law - but I couldn't find an entry for them. Go figure. Maybe I misremember where I saw them covered.Snazzy! Thanks you very much!

Lappy, for any questions on planar or spelljamming monsters feel free to PM me. I have all the old stuff. I'll track the old xill for you... I know they were around.Beautiful! Give me anything you've got :smallcool:

afroakuma
2009-04-28, 07:32 PM
Look up. :smallamused:

Lappy9000
2009-04-29, 10:25 AM
Thanks, man :smallbiggrin: