PDA

View Full Version : If Crystal is raised - what level will she return as?

holywhippet
2009-04-28, 07:21 PM
It's been indicated that she has been at the same level as Haley because they are rivals. But being raised makes you lose a level. If she loses a level she'll no longer be effective as Haley's rival.

Indeed.
2009-04-28, 07:25 PM
It's been indicated that she has been at the same level as Haley because they are rivals. But being raised makes you lose a level. If she loses a level she'll no longer be effective as Haley's rival.

You assume that the Thieves' Guild would be unable to afford a true resurrection. I would assume the opposite. And that's even if she were a PC and had to go through actual resurrection, not just able to come back without anything wrong for the sake of the story.

Assassin89
2009-04-28, 07:30 PM
I'm not sure if raising Crystal is possible as she does not have a brain, and I'm pretty sure you need a brain in order to be raised. :smalltongue:
I doubt Crystal could be raised if Bozzok considers her expendable, just like the other members.

holywhippet
2009-04-28, 07:34 PM
You assume that the Thieves' Guild would be unable to afford a true resurrection. I would assume the opposite. And that's even if she were a PC and had to go through actual resurrection, not just able to come back without anything wrong for the sake of the story.

Even if they can afford the 25,000 gold worth of diamonds, they'd need a really good reason to fork out that much for her to be true ressurected. And that assumes they can get their hands on a cleric who can cast that spell. Clerics who can cast level 9 spells aren't that common.

Red XIV
2009-04-28, 08:14 PM
Bingo. It's well-established that 17th-level clerics are rare at best.

And Crystal's role in the Guild would hardly be impaired by losing a single level. If he considers her worth bringing back to life, Bozzok has no logical motive for having the one of his clerics use anything other than Raise Dead.

Calmness
2009-04-28, 08:16 PM
She will still be same level as Haley. The DM has to give her a challenge after all.

Dagren
2009-04-28, 09:26 PM
She will still be same level as Haley. The DM has to give her a challenge after all.I think that now Haley has killed her, she loses her status as a personal nemesis, so she won't get free XP of Haley anymore. Ergo, she'll lose a level and have to earn her own XP in future.

The Blackbird
2009-04-28, 09:28 PM
She will still be same level as Haley. The DM has to give her a challenge after all.

DM? But this is not D&D...THIS IS OOTS!!!!!!!!!111!!

GSFB
2009-04-28, 10:19 PM
Why would anyone raise her?

If you raise her with a mere Raise Dead spell and she loses a level, she'll come back mad and would be a threat to you. Heck, she is a murderous psycopath, so even on a happy day, she would be a threat to you.

If you use a True Resurrection, you are investing 25,000 in her. Why?

If you have the cash to blow, you probably don't need her services. Lots of other young upstart killers are more than happy to step in to her shoes.

If she had the cash set aside for such a problem, why use it on her? Just keep it. If no one raises her, she's never going to come back for revenge.

The world is better off without Crystal in it. The best thing you can say about her is that she is good at converting oxygen into carbon dioxide - and that contributes to global warming. It probably helps the Snarl escape.

Best thing for Bozzok to do is sell her corpse to the Golem dude (if he is still alive and still thinks the Guild is on his side... we don't yet know what all went down with getting Roy's bones back). Then he can use the gold to hire a fresh batch of low level rogues and start rebuilding.

Raging Gene Ray
2009-04-28, 10:26 PM
If you raise her with a mere Raise Dead spell and she loses a level, she'll come back mad and would be a threat to you. Heck, she is a murderous psycopath, so even on a happy day, she would be a threat to you.

Best thing for Bozzok to do is sell her corpse to the Golem dude (if he is still alive and still thinks the Guild is on his side... we don't yet know what all went down with getting Roy's bones back). Then he can use the gold to hire a fresh batch of low level rogues and start rebuilding.

I disagree entirely. Crystal is apparently Bozzok's finest assassin. Even with one less level, she's still stronger than the majority of the mooks. She even expects Bozzok to raise her, why would she snap and scream "why didn't you pay the extra 20K for a True Resurrection? Sneak Attack!"? She'd be too busy wanting to kill Haley, and she knows what sort of resources the Guild has, so she wouldn't be ungrateful.

And how much do you think Bozzok would get for one body? 150 gold at most, hardly enough for a first level Rogue...

Bozzok might be able to even find a druid and have her reincarnated. The material component is only 1000 gold and she might come back as some sort of flying three-headed tiger.

Dagren
2009-04-28, 10:29 PM
Bozzok might be able to even find a druid and have her reincarnated. The material component is only 1000 gold and she might come back as some sort of flying three-headed tiger.You know many three headed tigers with the Humanoid type?

Raging Gene Ray
2009-04-28, 10:30 PM
You know many three headed tigers with the Humanoid type?

Three-headed flying anthropomorphic tiger! There, problem solved!

EDIT: Three-headed flying anthropomorphic tiger that shoots lazor beams out of its mouth when it roars!

holywhippet
2009-04-28, 11:21 PM
If you have the cash to blow, you probably don't need her services. Lots of other young upstart killers are more than happy to step in to her shoes.

Therin lies the problem. Crystal is at least level 14 or so. Rookie assassins would be level 1-2. A level 14+ character is worth dozens of level 1-2 characters.

chionophile
2009-04-29, 12:16 AM
I think that now Haley has killed her, she loses her status as a personal nemesis, so she won't get free XP of Haley anymore. Ergo, she'll lose a level and have to earn her own XP in future.

Seconded. Once you beat a nemesis, they need to re-earn their status as a nemesis. Haley has a perfectly good rival in Sabine.

David Argall
2009-04-29, 02:52 AM
Crystal, if she comes back into the story, comes back at at least Haley's level. D&D rules may say she loses a level, but drama rules say she has to be a threat to Haley, and thus is more likely to gain one.

The Pilgrim
2009-04-29, 04:18 AM
Will lose a level for being raised... and will instantly level up to catch up with Haley again.

Linkavitch
2009-04-29, 01:23 PM
The world is better off without Crystal in it. The best thing you can say about her is that she is good at converting oxygen into carbon dioxide - and that contributes to global warming. It probably helps the Snarl escape.

Dude...That's just awesome.

liooil2000
2009-04-29, 03:37 PM
She will lose a level and will not be considered as personal nemesis to Haley.

Elan man
2009-04-29, 04:09 PM
If she does return (which she probably won't) I think rich will just skip all those technicality's