PDA

View Full Version : The Pyromancer [PrC]

Quirinus_Obsidian
2006-08-13, 01:52 PM
I know the PrC has appeared before, but for the life of me, I cannot remember where. Basically, it's intended for higher power characters that love fire, and are tired of coming across all sorts of fire resistant and immune creatures.

Pyromancer

Pyromancers are Arcane spellcasters that have terrifyingly destructive urges. Although their reverence for a cataclysmic explosion is not lost on most; they are often misunderstood. Their power is well-sought after on both sides of good and evil.

Sorcerers and Warmages most often take the journey into this class. Most Wizards (even Evokers) and Divine spellcasters (Clerics, Druids, and Paladins) tend to look down upon Pyromancers as nothing more than thoughtless destruction machines. Bards whom become Pyromancers are few and far between, but are known to exist.

DM’s Note: this class can be modified further by using another energy descriptor, such as Cold, Acid, or Electricity.

Hit Die: d6

Requirements:
To qualify becoming a Pyromancer, a character must fulfill the following criteria:

Alignment: Any Chaotic
Skills: Knowledge (The Planes) 8 ranks; Knowledge (Arcana) 8 ranks; Spellcraft 6 ranks.
Must be able to cast at least 5 spells with the Fire descriptor; one must be at least 4th level.
Feat(s): Energy Substitution (Fire), Energy Admixture (Fire)
Special: Must have set fire to a building for the mere enjoyment to watch it burn.

Class Skills:
Concentration (INT), Craft (INT), Intimidate (INT), Knowledge (Arcana), (The Planes), Perform (CHA) Spellcraft (INT).
Skill points at each level: 2+ INT Modifier.

Class Features:

Weapon and armor proficiency: Pyromancers gain no proficiency with any armor or weapon.

Spells per day / Spells Known: At each level of this prestige class, the Pyromancer gains a level in the spellcasting class that she/he had belonged to before adding the prestige class level. She/he does not; however, gain any other benefits that a character of that class would have gained (Turn Undead attempts, the bonus feat that a Wizard sometimes gets, and so on). If she/he had more than one spellcasting class before becoming a Pyromancer, she/he must decide to which class to add each level for the purpose of deciding spells per day or spells known.

Attack Progression: Typical Wizard (1/2 HD)
Saves: Poor Fort, Good Reflex and Will

Fire Resistance: At level 1, The Pyromancer gains the ability to resist some effects of her chosen element. This ability grants *2 HD additional Fire Resistance to the Pyromancer.

Pyromancer Edge: Also at first level, the Pyromancer, thru exhaustive research has learned how to deal extra damage with her fire spells. Add +1 to each die of damage for HP damaging spells with the Fire descriptor; such as Fireball or Scorching Ray. This increases to +2 at 5th level; and finally to +3 at 10th level. This ability stacks with the Warmage Edge class feature, if applicable.

Fire Penetration: At level 2, the Pyromancer spells become more powerful as the character progresses. This ability adds +2 to the Pyromancer caster level checks for spell resistance. It also increases to +4 at 7th level. These bonuses stack with Spell Penetration and Greater Spell Penetration.

Fire Focus: As she advances her research (and practice) with her fire spells, her spells become harder to resist. When she reaches 3rd level, A Pyromancer adds +1 to the save DC of her spells with the fire descriptor. This bonus increases to +2 at 8th level. This ability stacks with the Spell Focus and Greater Spell Focus feats (If applicable for the spell being cast).

Divine (or Profane) Fire: Received at Level 4 of this class, this ability allows the Pyromancers’ Fire spells to bypass Fire Immunity of some creatures. In addition; if the creature has a Weakness to Fire or are otherwise vulnerable to Fire, they take an additional x2 damage (as opposed to the standard x1.5 damage).

Ritual Charring: A Pyromancer at level 6 finally gives into the overwhelming temptation to burn oneself. This ritual takes 1 hour and materials that cost at least 150 GP in price. The Pyromancer drives his/her arm into a raging flame that he/she creates of her own will. The Pyromancer loses ¼ (rounded down) his/her hit points in this process. After this ritual the lost Hit Points can then be regained by any regular means. As a result of the Ritual Charring, the Pyromancer gains a permanent +2 Natural Armor bonus. This bonus increases to +4 at 10th level, after the second ritual.

Clinging Fire: When the Pyromancer reaches 9t level, her Fire Spells cling to creatures and the area around them and continue to affect them in the round after you cast the spell. Your Fire Spells have their normal effect, but they also cling to anything caught in its area. In the round after the spell is cast, the spell deals half the damage it dealt in the previous round. Creatures that avoid the original spell do not take damage the next round; or creatures that have Evasion (or similar abilities) do not take damage the following round. A foe can take a full round action to attempt to remove the clinging spell before taking any additional damage. It takes a successful Reflex saving throw (same DC as the original spell) to remove the effect. Rolling on the ground adds an additional +2 Circumstance bonus to the save, but leaves the foe prone. A clinging fire spell cannot be removed by jumping into water; but it can be dispelled (DC = to original save DC). If you use this ability, increase the spell level by 1; such as a Metamagic Feat.

Special: You may apply this ability more than once to an individual spell. Each time, you do so; you add +1 to the spell level of the original spell. Example: Fireball is a 3rd level spell. Applying this feat 2 times will increase the spell level +2, and also increase the save DC by 2.

martyboy74
2006-08-13, 03:52 PM
Were you thinking of the Pyrokineticist, from the XPH?

storybookknight
2006-08-13, 05:50 PM
There's the Silver Pyromancer in Eberron. Perhaps that was what you were thinking of?

Quirinus_Obsidian
2006-08-13, 06:33 PM
Pyrokineticist I know. Quite well. Plays well with a Soulknife.

Silver Pyro I sort of know. Not too well, have not played Eberron that much (outside of DDO, anyway).

Other than that.... I am thinking it be from 3.0; I want to say it's from the Tome and Blood sourcebook?

Dancing_Zephyr
2006-08-14, 12:46 AM
To me this class seems over powered.

Pros:
Higher hit dice than wizards and sorcerors
Full spell progression
Fire resistance
Two good saves
Spells do more damage (up to +3 per die!)
Easier to pierce spell resistance
Spells are harder to avoid
Creatures with vulnerability to fire take 3x normal damage
Natural armour
Cons:
The pros in italics only apply to spells with the fire descriptor. (not really all that penalizing as many blasting spells are fire to begin with and with that energy type replacement feat you can make all blasting spells fire)

I really like the Clinging Fire (feat,ability,thing), I would give it to them earlier and save the Pyromancer's Edge for last.

I like the concept of a fire slinging death machine ;D, but I think it's way overpowered.

knightsaline
2006-08-14, 12:50 AM
One of the requirements was, in fact, from the pyrokinetist, the one about "Must have set fire to a building for the mere enjoyment to watch it burn." look at http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/pyrokineticist.htm
to see if it looks familiar

Fizban
2006-08-14, 06:54 AM
Extra damage to each die is waaaaaaaaaaaaay to powerful. Either change it to the warmage edge feature, make 3+int/day (like a Dragonlance PrC), or something. The metamagic feat that gives +1/die is +1 to spell level.
Clinging I think should start at +2, but then again it isnt as good as empower.....I'll leave that to others.
Energy admixture is not needed as a prereq, but whatev.
Should not have 2 good saves.
Should not get spells/day at each level, otherwise eveyone would take it (aside from rp factors).
Ritual charring is also too good.
Now, my suggestions:
Take a look at the argent savant PrC in CA. It suggests substituting other things, and uses fire as an example.
Searing spell metamagic feat in sandstorm: allows fire spell to bypass all resistance, and half of immunity, and deal s2 dmg to fire weakness, for +2 lv. Theres a divine PrC in frostburn that gets the cold version on all its spells. I believe that's what you're looking for there.

My fixes:
d4 hit die
prereq: fire sub, spellc and know arcana 12 ranks, able to cast 5 fire spells, one of which must be 5th lv or higer
BAB: 1/2
saves: high will
spellcasting: at every level but 1st
1st: 3+int mod times/day, may add +1 damage to each die of a fire spell
2nd: char flesh: by dealing fire damage equal to 1/4 base hp, may gain +1 nat armor. lasts until 1 day after the damage is fully healed.
3rd: adds +2 to each die
4th: may take 1/2 hp for + nat armor
5th: fire spells bypass all fire resistance, deal half damage to those with fire immunity, and deal x2 damage to those with fire weakness.

Based off a combo of Argent Savant, your PrC, Warmage PrC from AoM, and my mind!!!!!!