PDA

View Full Version : Qualifying without Point Blank Shot?

Lycanthromancer
2009-04-28, 09:14 PM
I have an anthropomorphic bat psychic warrior 5 that I want to use as an archer, with Zen Archery, etc, but I plan on being airborne and well away from the battle most of the time.

Problem is, I have too many feats I want, and not enough feat slots to get them all with. And since I plan on being well away from the thick of things, Point Blank Shot will be useless to me. Heck, it's almost as useless as Dodge or Toughness.

Is there any way to get PBS without using a feat, getting extra feats aside from flaws (which I'm already using) without horrifically unbalanced cheese, or a feat that will be useful to me that counts as PBS for the purposes of prerequisites?

The feats I currently want are Improved Flight, Flyby Attack, Speed of Thought, Linked Power, Zen Archery, Ancestral Relic, Point Blank Shot, Rapid Shot, Precise Shot, Psionic Shot, Psicrystal Affinity, Psicrystal Containment, and Psionic Meditation.

I know I can't get them all by level 5, but it's driving me nuts that I can't decide which ones I want for sure (though Ancestral Relic stays regardless). Throwing Point Blank Shot out the window will help a bit, but it's a prereq for EVERY OTHER ARCHERY FEAT EVER, and it's damned useless.

Help meeeeeeeeeee!

SurlySeraph
2009-04-28, 09:33 PM
I can't find any feats that replace PBS for prereqs, which is annyoing. You should consider taking a level or two in Fighter. The bonus feats and BAB would be helpful. The loss of manifester levels is a pain, but it could be worthwhile depending on your build.
Frankly, I'd just go with Zen Archery, Psionic Shot, and Psionic Meditation. Since gaining psionic focus prevents you from making a full attack, having both Psionic Shot and Rapid Shot is kinda pointless.

Lycanthromancer
2009-04-28, 09:51 PM
I may end up using the marksman from Untapped Potential, instead. It grants Point Blank Shot at 1st level, and also gives me something similar to Zen Archery, too (gain Wis to hit with a ranged attack when you gain psionic focus).

It's not as savvy of a manifester as the psywar is, and doesn't get all of the bonus feats, but all of its powers are geared toward archery. (!)

Eldariel
2009-04-28, 09:54 PM
The best way to go about it (and the only non-item qualification I'm aware of for that matter) is to take a two-level Ranger dip and pick up Rapid Shot that way, but unfortunately that costs you manifesting, which sucks.

Jastermereel
2009-04-29, 09:59 AM
While the thread certainly provides interesting alternatives, is it possible you could bounce the issue off your DM to find a less RAW workaround?

Some feat pre-requisites often seem oddly unnecessary (darn you Faerun racial feats!) or at least arguably omit-able and might be rule zeroed away. Consider picking another releated but useful feat that could be argued as equivalent for prerequisites in the future.

Darrin
2009-04-30, 10:24 AM
Is there any way to get PBS without using a feat, getting extra feats aside from flaws (which I'm already using) without horrifically unbalanced cheese, or a feat that will be useful to me that counts as PBS for the purposes of prerequisites?

The feats I currently want are Improved Flight, Flyby Attack, Speed of Thought, Linked Power, Zen Archery, Ancestral Relic, Point Blank Shot, Rapid Shot, Precise Shot, Psionic Shot, Psicrystal Affinity, Psicrystal Containment, and Psionic Meditation.

Hmm. The only other way I know of picking up PB Shot is a 1-level cleric dip, picking it up from the Elf domain. But that would probably mean playing an elf, which means no bonus feat from human/strongheart halfling/azurin. You can get around that with the Planar Touchstone feat (using the Catalogues of Enlightenment to gain a domain ability), but it's easier to just take PB Shot without the touchstone.

Looking at the other feats you want to take, the only one I can see that can be duplicated with a magic item is Precise Shot. The Precise weapon ability (MIC p. 40) is only a +1 enhancement. That may free up a feat for PB Shot.

How are you gaining flight? There may be an easier way to get the flight speed and maneuverability you want by using a spell/power/magic item/Dragonborn.

Draz74
2009-04-30, 10:43 AM
I've got nothing for you with PBS. However, I may be able to point out some ways you can avoid spending a feat on Precise Shot.

1) Get the Precise enhancement on your bow.
2) Until that, use the Heroics spell to grant you the Precise Shot feat during tough battles.

After you do (1), Heroics can then be used to give you one of the other feats you don't have room for in the build.