PDA

View Full Version : Realistic Monk's Belt

Vorpal word
2009-04-28, 09:24 PM
I know this is only a single item in the 3.5 DMG, so my question is: "Why?" Here is my alternative.

White Belt: No effect
Yellow Belt: +1 AC
Orange Belt: +1 AC, +1 Unarmed Strike
Green Belt: +1 AC, +2 Unarmed Strike
Blue Belt: +2 AC, +2 Unarmed Strike

Blue Striped Belt: +2 AC, +3 Unarmed Strike, DR 2/--
Purple Belt: +3 AC, +3 Unarmed Strike, DR 2/--
Purple Striped Belt: +3 AC, +4 Unarmed Strike, DR 2/--

Brown Belt: +4 AC, +4 Unarmed Strike, DR 5/--
Brown Striped Belt: +4 AC, +5 Unarmed Strike, DR 5/--

Black Belt: +5 AC, +5 Unarmed Strike, DR 5/--, Improved Critical with Unarmed Strike

Will do prices later this week if the variant is accepted. Generally, a monk's school will give White Belts to novice 1st level monks, Yellow through Blue Belts to 2nd to 5th level monks, Blue Striped to Purple Striped Belts to 6th to 10th level monks, Brown and Brown Advanced Belts to 11th to 15th level monks, and Black Belts only to monks of level 16 or higher. If these seem overpowered, I will fix them later. Prices will probably be low since only monks really benefit from the unarmed bonuses.

SurlySeraph
2009-04-28, 09:47 PM
I don't consider this fully necessary, but it's not harmful.
Could you specify what you mean by "+X Unarmed Strike"? Do you mean that it makes the wielder's unarmed strike into a magic weapon?

Hawriel
2009-04-28, 11:49 PM
He is saying that unarmed attacks get an attack bonus at that value.

Sence your belts are based on existing grades in martial arts, it would be resonable to put a level requirement on each belt.

Mathis
2009-04-29, 05:09 AM
Overlooking the fact that coloured belts are just a modern invention, coming from the western need of showing off to others how good you are, this is actually something the monk class needs to be able to survive in melee combat. It does need a level requirement however, and it also opens up for some great side-quests for the player. The GM could come up with some quests or tasks that the monk needs to complete to recieve the belt. Something simple like defeat some brawlers at a tavern at low levels, and then something more difficult at the higher levels, like a high-level dungeon crawl to uncover some long lost epic artifact for his monastery or master.

Optionally, the GM can just rule out a level requirement completely, and make it possible for the player to gain acces to these belt through use of his/her or it's cunning wits. Ofcourse, the difficulty of the tasks needed to get the best belts would require the monk to be at quite a high level anyway. Finally, good job!

Another_Poet
2009-04-29, 11:21 AM
Unlike Mathis, I have a hard time overlooking the fact that coloured belts are modern. Also, the colours used are completely different from system to system, except that black is usually best and white is usually worst.

I think the mechanics ae good, I would propose some different names however.

White Belt (no effect)
Belt of the Acolyte
Belt of the Initiate
Belt of the Dedicant
belt of the Ronin
Belt of the Mendicant
Saffron Belt
Black Belt
Belt of the Master
Belt of the Grand Master

Something like this has a nice feel to it and you can sort of imagine a backstory to each belt. The coloured belts just make me think of modern Tae Kwon Do studios with mom's camera flashing as she snaps photos of her kids.

You could also have belts that give special styles. "Belt of the Mantis" "Belt of the Dragon" etc, each one granta a special attack.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-04-29, 02:31 PM
For belt names, I would suggest:

Belt of the Novice
Belt of the Brother
Belt of the Immaculate
Belt of the Superior Master
Belt of the North Wind
Belt of the South Wind
Belt of the Winter
Belt of the Summer
Belt of the Flowers

Anyone recognize them? :smallbiggrin:

The Mentalist
2009-04-29, 02:38 PM
The title list for monks 2nd Edition.

Grand Master of Flowers, sounds like a gardener, kicks your head in.

Lappy9000
2009-04-29, 04:00 PM
I like the idea, but I'm jumping on the bandwagon with those who say it need a level requirement.

Also "Belt of the Mendicant" makes me picture things so much more awesome than that plasticy-cloth material that makes up a Blue Belt.

Mathis
2009-04-29, 05:14 PM
Apologies for not giving the author time to post inbetween, but this is a reply to Another_Poet. I'll admit I reacted pretty strongly myself as I'm a strong believer in practicing the traditional art instead of the modern competetive styles that some styles unfortunately has evolved to today:smallsmile:. The names do however solely exists to differentiate one belt from the other, and so do not carry much meaning in themselves. But all of the name suggestions were good, even if I have no idea what a mendicant is:smalltongue:

Mathis
2009-04-29, 05:20 PM
Apologies for not giving the author time to post inbetween, but this is a reply to Another_Poet. I'll admit I reacted pretty strongly myself as I'm a strong believer in practicing the traditional art instead of the modern competetive styles that some styles unfortunately has evolved to today:smallsmile:. The names do however solely exists to differentiate one belt from the other, and so do not carry much meaning in themselves. But all of the name suggestions were good, even if I have no idea what a mendicant is:smalltongue:

Vorpal word
2009-04-29, 07:58 PM
I guess I'll agree with Another_Poet on names. The real question is how to price these. I guess the ones that power up AC can be priced as Ring of Protection with a bit extra for the unarmed bonus, but I have no idea how to price the DR.

J. Smallberries
2009-04-29, 10:53 PM
I'd actually price them somewhat less than their general-use counterparts. Assuming these can only be used by monks, the demand is less so the price should be less than equivalent items that anyone can use. Maybe price them as if they were one-bonus-point less than the equivalent general use item; those that offer just 1 bonus point are at half the cost of the equivalent general-use item?

chiasaur11
2009-04-29, 11:12 PM
I like the idea, but I'm jumping on the bandwagon with those who say it need a level requirement.

Also "Belt of the Mendicant" makes me picture things so much more awesome than that plasticy-cloth material that makes up a Blue Belt.

Like Groo the wanderer?