PDA

View Full Version : Screaming bloody frenzy

Fortinbras
2009-04-28, 11:43 PM
I'm looking to make a raging dwarf warrior who assumes bear form or a hybrid bear-man form. I've looked at berserk, bearwarrior, warblade and barbarian. What combos (or other ideas) do people have?

tyckspoon
2009-04-28, 11:57 PM
hmm.. Shifter (base class)/Stoneblessed/Weretouched Master? That would give you a pseudo-werebear who is culturally and mentally a dwarf, although not physically.

herrhauptmann
2009-04-28, 11:59 PM
Take deepwarden PrC from Races of stone. I don't believe it has an alignment prereq, and at level 2 you gain your con bonus to AC instead of Dex.

Beyond that, look into ways to gain 'mettle' it works like evasion, but for any spell that says 'Fort/Will save for half/partial'. (Fist of the Forest, Pious Templar, and something from BoED all grant it, and probably others too)

Also, Occult Slayer from Complete warrior has some decent abilities in it that will help with your abysmal (depending on build) saving throws, though the prereqs will be sorta tough for you as a barbarian.

Had my own bbn/ftr/clr/Dwarven defender/deepwarden/pious templar level 16, base fort save of 28, base will of 18, and a +9 con outside of my DD stance, with steadfast determination feat. DM had a very hard time killing me with his preferred selection of unusual monsters.

sonofzeal
2009-04-29, 12:05 AM
Alignment would help.

Strangely enough, possibly the best Raging Dwarf would be CG. The exalted feat "Righteous Wrath" lets you keep your sanity during a rage, allowing you to stack as many pseudo-rages as you can get your hands on. I recommend starting with Ferocity Barbarian (Cityscape), then mix in Druidic Avenger (Unearthed Arcana), Berserker (Deities & Demigods), and Frenzied Berserker (Complete Warrior). Your Con goes through the roof, so Deepwarden + Fist of the Forest might be a good combo on top of this, if you can fit it all in. Since you already practically qualify, you could also look into Champion of Gwynharwyf for some extra spellcasting.

Enjoy!

Fortinbras
2009-04-30, 12:41 AM
Alignment is any good.

It seems the trouble with most bear shifting builds is that by the time you can turn into a bear a regular fighter is actually more powerfull.

Are you saying that two kinds of rage can be used at the same time?

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-04-30, 12:48 AM
Alignment is any good.

It seems the trouble with most bear shifting builds is that by the time you can turn into a bear a regular fighter is actually more powerfull.

Are you saying that two kinds of rage can be used at the same time?Depends on the type of Rage. Shifting can be used with anything(and allows Warshaper), and Frenzy and Rage specifically stack, ut otherwise it depends on the specifics of the ability. IIRC, Bear Warrior cannot due to turning into the #1 threat to America replacing normal rage.

sonofzeal
2009-04-30, 12:51 AM
Alignment is any good.

Are you saying that two kinds of rage can be used at the same time?
If "any good", then totally go for this!

It's arguable whether two types of rage can be used together. However, there's no reason I can see why you can't use Ferocity, Rage, Battle Fury, and Frenzy, all at the same time. They're different abilities with different names, different bonuses, and different conditions. You need need need Righteous Wrath to make this work though, as it's the only think keeping you from killing your entire party whenever you hit combat.

For actual bear-ness, take the Bear Totem (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#bearTotemClassFeatures ) variant for Barbarian (lose fast movement and uncanny dodge, gain Toughness and Improved Grapple), take the Bear Hybrid Form from Berserker, and there's always Bear Warrior if you can fit yet another PrC in.

ZeroNumerous
2009-04-30, 12:53 AM
... I'm amazed no one has mentioned Bear Warrior. It replaces your normal Barbarian rage with Bear Rage, but continues to count as a normal rage for all the nice rage feats and PrCs you want. Plus turns you into a bear. Add in Frenzied Berserker and Warshaper for +Stupid(Roughly equal to Lots, less than A Bunch) to your Strength.

Chronos
2009-04-30, 10:12 PM
... I'm amazed no one has mentioned Bear Warrior.Was that meant sarcastically?

Another pseudo-rage is Primal Scream, from the Wildrunner PrC (Races of the Wild). It's controllable, and gives +2 Str, +6 Dex, and a bite attack. Unfortunately, it's only for elves or half-elves.

Thurbane
2009-04-30, 10:32 PM
... I'm amazed no one has mentioned Bear Warrior.

I'm looking to make a raging dwarf warrior who assumes bear form or a hybrid bear-man form. I've looked at berserk, bearwarrior, warblade and barbarian.
Easy to miss, but the OP did mention it...

Fortinbras
2009-05-01, 07:43 PM
How is warblade for a base class?

Bluebeard
2009-05-01, 07:49 PM
How is warblade for a base class?
Perfect.
Tiger Claw alone will cover the role.
Bloodclaw Master fills in the transformative fluff if you don't want to muck about with WS Ranger, Druid, Bear Warrior, Animal Lord or Primeval.