PDA

View Full Version : [4e]W...What is this!?

NPCMook
2009-04-29, 03:58 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Players-Handbook-Races-Dragonborn-Supplement/dp/0786953861/

I'm interested... but what could it possibly cover??

Blackdrop
2009-04-29, 04:05 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Players-Handbook-Races-Dragonborn-Supplement/dp/0786953861/

I'm interested... but what could it possibly cover??

Dragonborn maybe?

Kidding.

This looks pretty shnazzy. I wonder if it's just the ecology of the dragonborn article and some of the other dragonborn themed stuff from Dragon mixed together.

Probably will also have some new racial paragon paths/epic destinies.

Lord Herman
2009-04-29, 04:08 AM
Maybe it's something like the 3.5 Races of... books, but with one race at a time?

10 dollars does seem kinda pricey for a 32-page paperback, though. Especially since they'll probably be making one for every PHB race. If you'd buy them all, you'd be paying 80 bucks for 256 pages of paperbackness; that's fewer pages than the PHB, which is a hardcover and costs only 22 dollars.

NPCMook
2009-04-29, 06:17 AM
Maybe it's something like the 3.5 Races of... books, but with one race at a time?

10 dollars does seem kinda pricey for a 32-page paperback, though. Especially since they'll probably be making one for every PHB race. If you'd buy them all, you'd be paying 80 bucks for 256 pages of paperbackness; that's fewer pages than the PHB, which is a hardcover and costs only 22 dollars.

That article was only about 10 pages long, Forgotten Realms was a Page(I think), Eberron will probably be a page also, PHB was a Page, The Paragon Path in PHB 2 was a Page, then Dragonborn only feats probably 5 pages to give descriptions of them, then another 2-3 pages for the quick reference of the feats... So that's about 22 pages right there... So minus 3 pages for intro, ToC, and Index, that leaves about 8 pages to fill out

Tuataralad
2009-04-29, 06:25 AM
This does seem to be a bit of a mystery...

I'll certainly agree with you there, that is ridiculously overpriced for what will probably amount to only a few new feats and maybe a PP or two. Did anybody find these for any other races as well? Also, how does Amazon know about it this far in advance? I suppose we'll just have to wait until next January to find out.

Asbestos
2009-04-29, 01:16 PM
That article was only about 10 pages long, Forgotten Realms was a Page(I think), Eberron will probably be a page also, PHB was a Page, The Paragon Path in PHB 2 was a Page, then Dragonborn only feats probably 5 pages to give descriptions of them, then another 2-3 pages for the quick reference of the feats... So that's about 22 pages right there... So minus 3 pages for intro, ToC, and Index, that leaves about 8 pages to fill out

I'm not so cynical to believe it will be all reprints.

Oracle_Hunter
2009-04-29, 11:24 PM
Also, how does Amazon know about it this far in advance? I suppose we'll just have to wait until next January to find out.
I'm sure WotC tells Amazon as soon as they have a new book coming out - preorder cash is free money for Wotc; payment for a product that doesn't yet exist.

TheOOB
2009-04-29, 11:56 PM
Wow, each race getting their own book would get expensive, and I doubt you kill fill an entire book with one race without it getting boring.

And why does it have to be dragonborn, the only race to be sillier then gnomes.

oxybe
2009-04-30, 12:30 AM
what is silly is in the eye of the beholder, it seems :smalltongue:

Reinboom
2009-04-30, 12:48 AM
what is silly is in the eye of the beholder, it seems :smalltongue:

Kobolds, swamp leeches, zombies, skeleton knights, giant spiders, dwarfs, kenku, drow, death knights, drider, hell hounds, displacer beasts, giant mantis, mind flayers, a creature I believe to be earth elementals, stone golems, and a beholder are all silly then? :smallconfused:
Eye of the Beholder was anything but silly!

Also, this is some pricey pamphlets.

Colmarr
2009-04-30, 02:25 AM
Also, this is some pricey pamphlets.

Let's not judge a book by [the distance between] its cover[s].

At least not until it's released. :smallsmile:

The Tygre
2009-04-30, 08:29 AM
They're a bit late on the uptake, aren't they? (http://www.goodman-games.com/4411preview.html)

Puggins
2009-04-30, 09:29 AM
So TSR published White Plume Mountain in 1981. I bought it maybe three years later, so I have no idea how much the original Black and White cover edition sold for. I do know that the color cover edition I bought consisted of a stand-alone color cover with a monochromatic interior map and a black and white, fourteen page booklet. It sold for $6.00 at the time. Plugging that into the ol' inflation calculator, we get a 2008 price of $12.28. I simply don't see the big deal here- charging $9.95 for a 32-page, full-color booklet sounds about right.

Asbestos
2009-05-01, 10:47 AM
They're a bit late on the uptake, aren't they? (http://www.goodman-games.com/4411preview.html)
Yeah, but except for the breath weapon feats, that book is pretty dang terrible.

tbarrie
2009-05-01, 12:29 PM
I'm sure WotC tells Amazon as soon as they have a new book coming out - preorder cash is free money for Wotc; payment for a product that doesn't yet exist.

Amazon doesn't charge preorders to your credit card until the item ships, so I wouldn't think they would pay the publisher before then.

TheOOB
2009-05-01, 12:42 PM
Pre-orders still build up sales numbers, so that the company has an idea of how much money they are making.

Amazon does have a tenancy to put up products way too early though.

Asbestos
2009-05-01, 01:26 PM
Pre-orders still build up sales numbers, so that the company has an idea of how much money they are making.

Amazon does have a tenancy to put up products way too early though.

Sometimes the things they put up fail to materialize even (http://www.amazon.com/Icons-Gargantuan-Dracolich-Miniatures-Product/dp/0786949856/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1241202300&sr=1-2).