PDA

View Full Version : Cannot Display

Wishpig
2009-04-29, 11:22 AM
Argh! I wanna rip my hair out :smallfurious:

Whats up with this website?

About 1/2 the time I get the blank cannot display website page. I have to reload multiple times to acually get it to work. Sometimes I have to exit out of the browser all together.

At first I thought it must be because of IE, becuase lets face it, IE blows sometimes!

So I tried firefox and got the same freakin problem!

So then I figured it's my computer, which wouldn't be too surprising, but then it did the same thing at my parents house. And THEN it did he same thing on my school's computers.

This has been going on for a good month, and it's taken me well over five mintues to even get this post through (do to the issue)

At this point it's evident that it is the website's fault... so whats going on?

PS- Otherwise, it's a very nice and very well sit up page! :smallwink:

The Rose Dragon
2009-04-29, 11:35 AM
My understanding is that for a site its size, GitP has little budget to spend on these problems.

Most of it is the server being overloaded by user actions. It can be solved by moving to a higher number of servers, but it would be an expensive solution. Other solutions are being tried by the admins, but I'm not privy to those tried solutions.

Also, you might want to soften your tone a bit. It is bad for your health to get so worked up over minor things like this. Especially if you cause damage to your hair.

Wishpig
2009-04-29, 11:45 AM
My understanding is that for a site its size, GitP has little budget to spend on these problems.

Most of it is the server being overloaded by user actions. It can be solved by moving to a higher number of servers, but it would be an expensive solution. Other solutions are being tried by the admins, but I'm not privy to those tried solutions.

Also, you might want to soften your tone a bit. It is bad for your health to get so worked up over minor things like this. Especially if you cause damage to your hair.

Lol, I was over exagerating, I love my sexy hair to much to damage it!

Yeah, my first guess was population over flow, but I've been to allot of sites equally popular, but never struck me as having any substantial budget. Being this websites so nice, and has been around so long, I figured that population might not be the problem.

The Rose Dragon
2009-04-29, 12:07 PM
Do those sites have ads? GitP doesn't. Its entire budget consists of money left over from book, t-shirt, etc. sales. And donations.

Wishpig
2009-04-29, 12:18 PM
Do those sites have ads? GitP doesn't. Its entire budget consists of money left over from book, t-shirt, etc. sales. And donations.

Very good point... maybe GitP should sell out. They certainly deserve some cash on the side.

The Rose Dragon
2009-04-29, 12:19 PM
Burlew stated himself that he would close the forum down rather than allowing ads on his site. So that's not really a viable option.

Wishpig
2009-04-29, 12:45 PM
SIGH, damn, thats respectible...

Although the display problem is a serious issue...

arguskos
2009-04-29, 12:54 PM
SIGH, damn, thats respectible...

Although the display problem is a serious issue...
Like TRD said, Mr. Burlew would rather close the forum than take donations or advertising. It's his decision, let's let him to it. This ground doesn't need to be retread again, since it has been lots of times.

Wishpig
2009-04-29, 12:57 PM
Like TRD said, Mr. Burlew would rather close the forum than take donations or advertising. It's his decision, let's let him to it. This ground doesn't need to be retread again, since it has been lots of times.

Your right, we've gone to far off topic (kinda I guess).

Back to the point!

I'm still not sure if other people are having this issue? Are you guys?

The Rose Dragon
2009-04-29, 12:59 PM
Yes, we are.

Wishpig
2009-04-29, 01:20 PM
Well then something needs to be done, because it's getting worse and worse. I've been a fan for years, and I don't remember this being a problem in the past, although admiitibly I rarely visited the site over the past three months... although now I'm re-hooked!

The Rose Dragon
2009-04-29, 01:24 PM
You learn to live with it. It's not like the site admins aren't trying to make it better, so complaining will achieve... nothing.

ufo
2009-04-29, 02:22 PM
Hey, is it just me, or do you guys seem to have some grudge against Mr. Wishpig? It's not like he's insulting anyone or anything.

Jibar
2009-04-29, 02:51 PM
We've had these problems for years, and we have had many, many threads on it. It's just a little tiring is all, especially considering how little we can actually do other than stop visiting.

arguskos
2009-04-29, 04:40 PM
We've had these problems for years, and we have had many, many threads on it. It's just a little tiring is all, especially considering how little we can actually do other than stop visiting.
Pretty much this. I don't have anything against the dude (sorry if it came off that way Wishpig, didn't mean to be unkind). :smallredface:

Roland St. Jude
2009-04-29, 05:56 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: Indeed, this is a known issue and long-term problem. There are plenty of threads on the issue, all of which basically come down to:

We agree it's a problem.
We've considered the possible funding and technical solutions.
We're working on it.

Thread locked.

But I do understand your frustrations. I'd love to see GitP without the access problems that have plagued it for the last...who knows how long...but what can be done is being done.