PDA

View Full Version : [4e] The Strongest Link

Burley
2009-04-29, 03:00 PM
I'm working on the rough draft of a (for fun) character. Link, from the Legend of Zelda games.
I'm thinking a sword and board Fighter. (Maybe a Tactical Warlord multiclassed into swordmage)
Race should be Human, Half-elf, or elf.
Powers and feats are up in the air, too.

So, any ideas?

P.S.-A princess Zelda or Shiek would be neat to see, too.

Sir Homeslice
2009-04-29, 03:31 PM
Half-Elf Virtue of Valor Bard, 14+2 Cha instead of 16+2 Cha so he can quickly get all the 13 stats for the fifty multiclasses he actually has.

Mando Knight
2009-04-29, 04:12 PM
Depends on the game. WW Link could be a Halfing Bard or an Inspiring Warlord...

Twilight Princess Link is definitely an Elf Fighter multiclassed into a custom (likely multiclass-only) class, possibly called "Twilit Hero" or "Twilit Lycanthrope." And might be the only one who very definitely wields a bastard sword. Most of the items are probably customized magic items with at-will and encounter powers. Why Elf Fighter? Because the Dex and Wis bonuses, combined with Elven Accuracy, make him the best archer of the 3D Links (seriously, is he the only one with an aiming crosshair when shooting with a bow). His Dex also allows him to qualify for the Heavy Blade feats. He probably starts with Hide or Leather armor (refluffed as a tunic with a chain shirt and leather boots), and the Magic Armor is probably a magic suit of Scale or Plate that allows the user to treat it as light armor (with no speed penalty or armor check penalty) so long has he has money left, and the Zora Tunic is a suit of armor similar to his Hero's Tunic with the bonus of being able to breathe in water.

dr.cello
2009-05-09, 10:15 PM
If we are basing Zelda/Sheik on her appearance in Smash Brothers I'd say she's definitely an Eladrin. In the Zelda incarnation she's probably a wizard; as Sheik I think I'd go with rogue. The form-shifting I'm not sure how you'd represent--probably a custom multiclass-only class?

Grug
2009-05-09, 10:50 PM
Ganon = Level 20 Goliath Warlock with infernal pack, and a little druid thrown in as well.

I'd say link is a fighter. The bow isn't that big a part, so no need to multiclass. for powers, definitely want tide of iron for an At Will. Be sure to get Whirlwind.

Asbestos
2009-05-09, 11:25 PM
Btw, multiclass Druid gets you 1 beast form at-will as an encounter power and the ability to Wildshape at-will (if you're going with Wolf-Link)

For fluff reasons he should probably grab the Elf racial PP and the Eternal Defender ED.

Another interesting choice might involve throwing some arcane class in there so you can pick up a flying familiar and refluff it into a Fairy.

Decoy Lockbox
2009-05-13, 01:29 AM
Here is my idea. Its a bit unorthodox, but stick with me:

Do a half-elf fighter, so that you can pick up the adroit explorer paragon path. Now, if link is anything, its an adroit explorer. Also, this would allow you to reuse some of the many tasty "spin attacks" that fighters get (the best being Cruel Reaper, IIRC). In addition, it would allow you to qualify for the many tasty human-only feats, including action surge (which works very well with multi-attack powers like the aforementioned spin attacks).

Being a half-elf will also let you take the swordmage's swordburst as your diletantte ability, and then at paragon tier you can take a feat to make it an at-will. If you take the swordmage entry-level multiclass feat, it would allow you to use your sword as an implement for the attack as well.

Now, hitting with your spin attack will probably be an issue, since boosting intelligence is normally a low priority for a fighter, especially a half-elf fighter. But this isn't exactly an optimized character, now is it? However, at-will swordburst makes a strong combo with the fighter's mark, and people on the WOTC CO boards have been comboing fighter marking with things like thunderwave ever since 4e came out.

When I get some time, I'll stat this guy out. Who knows, he could end up being pretty darn good. I mean, fighter is a very strong class as it is, and it can probably tolerate a little dilution while still remaining good.

Burley
2009-05-13, 11:44 AM
I've been readin' these posts, and I've been thinking more and more that a Swordmage would make a better core class, with a little warlord or fighter floating around.
Then, Link could get the fairy and the Sword Burst. Lightning Lure would make a good "hook-shot" attack. I feel like the Swordmage's attacks would fit better, thematically.
Besides, the other fighters would make fun of him if he walks into the tavern with that crazy green hat.

Decoy Lockbox
2009-05-14, 06:53 PM
I've been readin' these posts, and I've been thinking more and more that a Swordmage would make a better core class, with a little warlord or fighter floating around.
Then, Link could get the fairy and the Sword Burst. Lightning Lure would make a good "hook-shot" attack. I feel like the Swordmage's attacks would fit better, thematically.
Besides, the other fighters would make fun of him if he walks into the tavern with that crazy green hat.

Another benefit of going swordmage is that you can reflavor the hide/leather you are wearing as light chain, like Link wears in Twilight Princess.

However, I just can't really see Link as a swordmage. Sure, he uses magic in many of the games, but he normally seems like more of a rogue/ranger (in terms of being a light combatant) than a true magic user. He definately doesn't fit into any of the major classes, which is why the whole bard/multiclass thing could work. He's not really a bard, but he does possess the bard's "Virtue of Valor", for sure.

But your idea of reflavoring the lightning lure as a hookshot is pure genius! I'm going to try and take some time today to build two version of Link, one as a fighter, and another as a bard...what level of character were you originally thinking of when you started this thread?

skywalker
2009-05-14, 11:58 PM
He's not really a bard, but he does possess the bard's "Virtue of Valor", for sure.

Was I the only one who was misty eyed during some of the Ocarina songs? If there's some other class that plays magical music, let me know... :smallwink:

Decoy Lockbox
2009-05-15, 12:09 AM
Was I the only one who was misty eyed during some of the Ocarina songs? If there's some other class that plays magical music, let me know... :smallwink:

*slaps forehead* wow, how could I have forgotten about that. And yeah, there were definately some musical moments that brought a tear ta me eye in Oot. Then again, its my favorite game of all time.

Allright, without further adieu, here is Link 1.0:

Link
Male half-elf, level 12
Bard (Triforce of courage….I mean virtue of Valor)/Adroit Explorer

HP 83 = (12+16+(11x5))
AC 28 = (16+3+4+3+1+1)
Fort 24 = (16+3+3+0+1+1)
Ref 25 = (16+4+3+1+1)
Will 26 = (16+5+3+1+1)

Str 13 = 12+1
Con 16 = 13+2+1
Dex 13 = 12+1
Int 18 = 15+1+1+1
Wis 10 = 9+1
Cha 20 = 15+2+1+1+1

Sword attack: +18, 1d10+10
Sword burst attack: +14, 1d6+7 force damage
Jinx shot bow attack: +15, 1d10+7

Feats:
Heroic: ritual caster (free feat), bastard sword proficiency, blade initiate, melee training (charisma), focused expertise: heavy blade, action surge, XXX(retrained into paragon defenses)
Paragon: hide specialization, versatile master, paragon defenses

Gear:
Major gear (i.e. lvl 13, 12, 11 items)
+3 Earthhide Armor (reflavored into the chain shirt from Twilight Princess)

+3 Farslayer Bastard sword (the master sword, farslayer property allows him to essentially make blade beam attacks)

+3 Elven cloak (reflavored to be his standard green tunic)

(minor gear, i.e. bought via cash)
+2 longbow of some sort (the fairy bow)
+2 iron armbands of power (silver gauntlets)
Light Shield
Ocarina
Boots of Equilibrium (bet Link wishes he had these for the OoT Ice Cave dungeon!)
Bridle of conjuration (reflavor into magic horse whistle to summon epona)
level 12 Alchemist's Fire arrows (the fire arrows)
level 12 Alchemist's Frost arrows (the ice arrows)
lvl 9 Blastpatch (bombs)

The flying hook (AV pg 172) would be a good proxy for the Hookshot, but its level 15 and thus out of this character's grasp...I guess he will have to find it in a later dungeon :smallbiggrin:

Powers:
(at-will): Jinx Shot, Guided Strike, Sword Burst

(encounter): Inspiring Refrain, Charger’s Call, Scorpion’s Claw Strike, Inspiring Refrain (second use from Adroit Explorer)

(daily): Slayer’s Song, Word of Mystic Warding, Saga of Vengeance

(utility): Moment of Escape, Chord of Resilience, Chant of Accuracy, Destined for Greatness

(class): Majestic Word (surge + 5 + 2d6), Words of Friendship

Skills:
Arcana +15 = (6+4+5)
Acrobatics +12 = (6+1+5)
Athletics +12 = (6+1+5)
Streetwise +16 = (6+5+5)
Diplomacy +18 = (6+5+5+2)
Stealth +10 = (6+1+2+1)

Rituals:
I didn't select any rituals, since I haven't played a caster in 4e before and don't feel like looking up the rules. But suffice to say, the idea of "bard rituals" that are free to cast and use an instrument, is just perfect for Link.

Class/Path Features: Bardic Training, Virtue of Valor, Skill Versatility, Song of Rest, Ambitious effort, Bloody determination, heroic action.

--------------------------------------
I tried to keep him somewhat evenly balanced when it came to his ability scores, with CHA and INT as his strong suits. Why those two? Well, Link must be pretty smart to solve all those puzzles. His primary defining factor is his courage, and I think that charisma best represents courage, at least compared to the other stats (also, Link seems irresistible to the ladies). More obviously, the character needed charisma to function as a bard, and intelligence to hit with his "spin attack". The high diplomacy score may seem strange, but think about it like this: although Link is never shown talking, he clearly knows how to get the job done when communicating with people -- those subquests don't initiate themselves, people!

So, what do you guys think?