PDA

View Full Version : Stuck on a concept...

Hat-Trick
2009-04-29, 04:48 PM
Alright, I had an idea for a drow character after reading a few of the elven related threads that recently popped up. No, he isn't a ranger, no he doesn't have a panther, and no, he doesn't dual wield scimitars. He is chaotic good, though. I wanted to use the Snowflake Wardance (refluffed as Waltz of the Underdark), so he's a bard, and I've always liked dragon disciple from a flavor point, so I'm going with that, as well. the problem is that after finishing off Dragon Disciple, I don't know if I want to go back to bard or get something else.

In fact, I don't know about any other feats except SFWD (WotU) and leadership (he has an awakened small monstrous spider as his cohort and a small group of followers that accompany him during trips on the surface).

In short, I'm making a melee Drow Bard/Dragon Disciple/(?) and want advice as to what to use for the last five levels and feats in general. This is mostly fluff-oriented, so no worries about the build being atrocious optimization-wise. No source restrictions, because it's just a thought, not for a game.

Froogleyboy
2009-04-29, 04:53 PM
I for one support the idea of a good drow thats not a drizzt clone :biggrin:

Starbuck_II
2009-04-29, 05:17 PM
I've always liked dragon disciple from a flavor point, so I'm going with that, as well. the problem is that after finishing off Dragon Disciple, I don't know if I want to go back to bard or get something else.

Turnin into a dragon? Getting extra first and second spell slots?

If using Pathfinder version: I revoke wonder. That one is a decent choice, but the SRD/DMG one... you lost me.

I feel Dragon Devotee makes a better Prc for Bards.
It improves NA, Str, Cha, Con, bonus feats, and basically gain Draconic template.

Dragon Disciple: Grants breath weapon, same stat boosts except bonus int instead of Cha, and wings.

In short, I'm making a melee Drow Bard/Dragon Disciple/(?) and want advice as to what to use for the last five levels and feats in general. This is mostly fluff-oriented, so no worries about the build being atrocious optimization-wise. No source restrictions, because it's just a thought, not for a game.
Assuming you are using DD: Dragonfire Adept fits.

Hat-Trick
2009-04-29, 05:31 PM
Dragon disciple gains a +8 to str, +2 to con, int and cha, as well as +4 NA, blindsense, lowlight vision, darkvision(irrelevant here due to Drow's superior DV), immunity to sleep, paralysis, and a chosen energy type, sonic in this case, claws, bite, and wings. And a 12 HD.

Where's Dragon Devotee at? I'd want a look at it. As for Dragonfire adept, I want to embrace the einhander, light fighter side of his concept for the last few level, devoting 10 to the dragon blood thing already.

Starbuck_II
2009-04-29, 05:40 PM
Races of the Dragon if you have it. Only 5 levels though...so you'll need more levels to fill out I guess.

Hat-Trick
2009-04-29, 05:46 PM
I don't have that book, and it's not on the internet anywhere, I'm going to guess. I'm going to have to see if my friend has it on a PDF.

Bluebeard
2009-04-29, 05:59 PM
Look at Dragon Magic, Races of the Dragon and the Draconomicon.
They're loaded with feats and prestige classes that should match your concept.

Dragonsong Lyrist (Drac) and Warchanter (CW) are probably the most appropriate classes to match this concept fluff-wise.
Dragonsong lyrist is 5-levels long and gives new songs every level. Unfortunately the songs are absolutely terrible and fail to activate 20% of the time. The fluff, though, fits.
Warchanter is effectively 5 levels long (it doesn't give much past that) and is designed to be a melee bard. It gives some basic combat songs, 10/10 BA and a song-stacking ability.

I think there are a couple RotD feats that make breath weapons better (giving the standard recharge time rather than daily uses).

And are you aware of the Dragon Shaman in the PHB2?
It might be easier to use to build and play the same concept than Bard/Dragon Disciple.

kyoten
2009-04-29, 06:04 PM
In fact, I don't know about any other feats except SFWD (WotU) and leadership (he has an awakened small monstrous spider as his cohort and a small group of followers that accompany him during trips on the surface).

What book does WotU stand for?

Edit: Thanks for the response Hat-Trick. Mind if I ask what book Snowflake Wardance is in?

Hat-Trick
2009-04-29, 06:09 PM
Don't own Dragon Magic, either. Going to have to make a list to check with my friend.

Dragonsong Lyrist is an interesting choice (I have Drac, yay!), but it doesn't fit with the light fighter side I'm trying to get with the last five levels.

Warchanter was one of the things I was considering, but wanted to get more options before deciding.

And, yes I know the Dragon Shaman and love it dearly, but I feel Dragon Disciple fits better. He's discovering his dormant draconic blood to distance himself from his appalling Drow heritage.

WotU is the abbreviation of my refluffed name for Snowflake Wardance. It stands for Waltz of the Underdark, his family's fighting style.

Chronos
2009-04-29, 08:01 PM
What, someone's making a dragon-themed bard, and nobody has suggested the Dragonfire Inspiration feat yet? It's also from Dragon Magic, but to sum up, when you use Inspire Courage, you can have it add Xd6 of elemental damage instead of +X/+X to attack and damage.

Hat-Trick
2009-04-29, 08:11 PM
Dragonfire Inspiration is one to consider, yes. But I'm not going to have many bardic music uses left, due to his SFWD (WotU) strategy.

Snowflake Wardance is Frostburn, i believe. Another book I don't have, but I found what I needed to use the feat from various sources.

Edit: Does anyone know any good substitutions for Inspire Competence? I've heard it's bad and kind of have to agree.

Edit2: I think I found something that works.
Keeping with the bard/dragon disciple/- concept, I've decided to use Mounteback, from Complete Scoundrel. With only getting five of the ten levels, it gives me just what I wanted and more. It looks like this:

Bard 5/Dragon Disciple 2/Mounteback 1/DD +1/MB +1/DD +1/MB +1/DD +6/MB +2.

The jumping around is for a reason, both story-wise and mechanically. He starts his life training in the WotU, kills his parents to gain access to the family wealth and free the slaves on the estate. Using the almost limitless amount of money held by his family, he purchases droves upon droves of slaves to set free (disguising the large quantities as replacements for the ones he allegedly beat to death). He starts seeking after his draconic heritage to distance himself from his drow blood. Dragon Disciple. He starts multiple trips to the surface world to find anyone who'd help him overthrow the drow and their wicked ways. Along the way, he manifests the teeth and claws of his bloodline. Unfortunately, he's frowned upon by most everyone he meets, so has to play face, opening up Mounteback. During the rest of his life, he manifests more of his draconic features and dabbling in Mounteback to better his survival on the surface.

Now, for the mechanical reason. I wanted to get Deft Strike and Frightful Presence from Draconomicron, but lacked both intimidate as a class skill and sneak attack dice. Mounteback gives me both, but I had to time the levels right to obtain both feats plus the others I decided on (Deceitful to get into MB, SFWD refluffed as WotU, Leadership, TWF, CE, FP, and DS in order).

So, yeah. That's the build. Zek'aun Do'ana. Now to wrap everything else and commence trying (and probably failing) to write a story.