PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Good "Undead Slayer" type PrCs and feats

Thurbane
2009-04-29, 07:43 PM
As the title suggests - I'll be running a horror based camapign soon(ish) that will be leading into Expedition to Castle Ravenloft. The main foes throughout the game will be undead (and affiliated creatures).

No idea what the party composition will be at this stage, except possibly a Fighter and a Sorcerer.

I noticed a bit of a lack of a melee-focused undead slaying PrC - Skullclan Hunter, Radiant Servant of Pelor, Hunter of the Dead...they all seem to require Cleric levels (or Paladin) to get turning. Any good PrCs for a straight Fighter, Ranger or Barbarian?

Also feats - Libris Mortis has some obvious ones. Any other you'd recommend?

The group will consist of 5 players, most of whom are not really what you'd call optimizers. The game will start off at 1st level, working up to 6th before EtCR...

Cheers - T

Keld Denar
2009-04-29, 08:03 PM
Occult Slayer is pretty decent. Lots of Undead have SLA's, which make them vulnerable to the extra damage you'd gain, and a fair number of them (Vamp, Vamp Spawn, and Ghosts) like to mess with your head. OS keeps them out pretty decently.

Is it the be all/end all of undead fighting? Not really. But its pretty decent and relatively easy to qualify for by 6th level.

Or maybe something like Paladin4/Rogue1/SkullclanHunter10/ShadowbaneInquisitor5.

Otherwise go fully twinked out turning cleric. Sun and Glory domains, head straight into Radiant Servent. Get an Ephod of Authority (MIC), a Phylactery of Undead Turning (DMG), Sacred Armor and Shield upgrades (A&EG), and a Rod of Defiance (LM). That'll give you enough +levels that you can nearly automatically dust anything that comes after you. If you can't dust it, its probably just a big stupid zombie your team can beat down. Most inteligent undead are rather vulnerable to turning because with all of their special abilities, they tend to lack the huge numbers of HD that uninteligent undead have.

Xallace
2009-04-29, 08:08 PM
If you don't mind, I'm gonna toot my own horn here and link you to the Fossor. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93683)

Also, the Dungeon Master's Guide has an alternate ranger called the "Undead Stalker," found in the section on making your own classes (I forget the page, I'll go look it up).

RTGoodman
2009-04-29, 09:16 PM
Check out Book of Exalted Deeds (yes, I actually suggested BoED) for a few things. Anointed Knight, Champion of Gwynharwyf (or whatever), Sword of Righteousness, Stalker of Kharash, Slayer of Domiel, and maybe a couple others might work, even if they're not particularly optimized.

Also, it's not a PrC, but a Ranger/Scout with Swift Hunter can deal some damage to undead.

Stormageddon
2009-04-29, 09:41 PM
Multi-class Ranger/scout take favorite enemy undead + swift hunter feat. Swift hunter will allow you to use skrimish against the undead.