PDA

View Full Version : [3.5e] Your most peculiar weapons?

john_pullinger
2009-04-30, 04:08 AM
A while ago, I was taking part in a Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil campaign with some friends, and we encountered an abandoned cart on the road. Being a rogue, I filched an onion from its cargo of fresh vegetables before our group returned it to the town of Hommlet.

Over the course of the adventure, I became disgruntled by the various undead monstrosities we had to do battle with, my sneak attack and newly-acquired skirmish damage from multiclassing to scout being useless in such cases. Thus, when we happened across a powerful and accommodating mage, I utilized some of my acquired wealth to have him craft the onion into a magical weapon.

My DM was amused by this and allowed me to take the Weapon Proficiency (bulbs) feat, et voila, I now have a +2 onion of disruption to clonk any skeletons I might find. It's also handy as a sap, since it deals non-lethal damage (it's only an onion, after all).

So I was wondering, what are some of the weirdest and oddest weapons you've had the pleasure of employing in your D&D games?

-John

Killer Angel
2009-04-30, 04:26 AM
My DM was amused by this and allowed me to take the Weapon Proficiency (bulbs) feat, et voila, I now have a +2 onion of disruption to clonk any skeletons I might find. It's also handy as a sap, since it deals non-lethal damage (it's only an onion, after all).

So I was wondering, what are some of the weirdest and oddest weapons you've had the pleasure of employing in your D&D games?

-John

Don't know if someone can beat the onion of disruption...
Anyway, it was not me, but another player in my group.
He insisted to have a bow, with a blade mounted on the external arch of the bow. So (he said) if someone goes in CC with him, he could use the bow to slash the enemy, without change weapon...
This "Bowblade" (also the name of the character) was folly... and a bow with a solid blade should be totally useless, you cannot tend it.
Nevertheless, the DM in the end conceded the weapon, just to rid of the very insisting player.
Later, the "bowblade" broke in combat, and character died ingloriously.

Who_Da_Halfling
2009-04-30, 04:43 AM
Don't know if someone can beat the onion of disruption...
Anyway, it was not me, but another player in my group.
He insisted to have a bow, with a blade mounted on the external arch of the bow. So (he said) if someone goes in CC with him, he could use the bow to slash the enemy, without change weapon...
This "Bowblade" (also the name of the character) was folly... and a bow with a solid blade should be totally useless, you cannot tend it.
Nevertheless, the DM in the end conceded the weapon, just to rid of the very insisting player.
Later, the "bowblade" broke in combat, and character died ingloriously.

Too bad he didn't have access to the Magic Item Compendium. Sound like the Swordbow would have been right up his alley (magic bow/sword that can instantly turn into the other form, so from bow to sword or vice versa and back again). Also, I'm pretty sure one of the books (Scoundrel?) has info on weapon bayonets (although I admit the idea of a longbow with a bayonet is a little weird to me).

I'm certainly not beating an Onion of Disruption. I've got nothing.

-JM

Killer Angel
2009-04-30, 04:48 AM
Too bad he didn't have access to the Magic Item Compendium. Sound like the Swordbow would have been right up his alley (magic bow/sword that can instantly turn into the other form, so from bow to sword or vice versa and back again). Also, I'm pretty sure one of the books (Scoundrel?) has info on weapon bayonets (although I admit the idea of a longbow with a bayonet is a little weird to me).

-JM

I forgot to specify that we were in the glorious AD&D time... this is at least a 12 years old story!

Who_Da_Halfling
2009-04-30, 04:50 AM
I forgot to specify that we were in the glorious AD&D time... this is at least a 12 years old story!

Ah. No swordbow then, I take it?

I still feel like some kind of bayonet might have been possible. There's always the old stand-by of "I drop my bow and draw my sword."

-JM

Allerdyce
2009-04-30, 05:12 AM
Okay, in this one game we were playing, we were vigilantes in a city that had a rising gang problem. The problem was actually that one gang was rising in power rather than numbers, destabilizing the previous balance. They'd done this with magical weapons that involved super-heated, pressurized water tanks that were attached to heavy, magically-built armor, with a hose used to spray out the water. Being a barbarian, I felt the best way to quell a current gang war was to hit people as hard as possible. And nothing hits harder than exploding magical things.

Long story short, jumped out of a third floor window, hit a guy's water tank with my axe, critted, and caused an explosion of boiling water and shrapnel. Pacified the fight pretty quick, and we dragged a fairly wounded guy out of there for questioning. So my weapon was exploding magical water tank. =)

arguskos
2009-04-30, 05:31 AM
The craziest weapon I've ever seen? Four adamantine tables, being wielded simultaneously by a Huge Thri-Kreen. It was... insane. He bashed through walls with them to hit people on the other side (adamantine ignoring hardness and all that).

The craziest weapon I've seen recently? A player decided that he didn't want to use a normal weapon, so he got an iron ingot, tied it to a rope, covered it in dung, and lit it on fire. He proceeded to attack people with this dung-covered flaming iron brick. Why, I'll never know. :smalleek:

Farlion
2009-04-30, 05:56 AM
My half orc barbarian used Gnomes and Halflings (preferentially armored in a spiked fullplate) as weapons.

I indeed had both the fling ally and the fling enemy feat :smallwink:

Cheers,
Farlion

Fishy
2009-04-30, 06:32 AM
Yes, but was it a +1 Throwing Returning halfling?

Farlion
2009-04-30, 07:15 AM
Yes, but was it a +1 Throwing Returning halfling?

I once strapped a rope to one of the Gnomes, but somehow this didn't work out that well.

Cheers,
Farlion

Learnedguy
2009-04-30, 08:04 AM
A garden gnome and some creative use Sneak attack.

No I'm just kidding. But if I got the chance, I totally would.

Those hats are sharp.

Keld Denar
2009-04-30, 09:30 AM
A friend of mine was playing a 1/2 orc Fighter/Barb/Monk/DrunkenMaster character, and at one point, ripped the arm off a fallen orc he had just killed and proceeded to bludgeon the rest of the orcs into submission with it. Because he was a Drunken Master, he was actually proficent with it and it did resonable damage! It also doubled as an impromptu paint brush, until it ran out of "ink".

lol!

john_pullinger
2009-04-30, 09:53 AM
I was wondering when the drunken masters would appear, lol, they're renowned for their ability to use literally anything as a weapon. Reminds me somewhat of Jason Ogg from the Discworld book 'Lords and Ladies', hitting the invading elves with the nearest thing to hand, which happened to be another elf. Rather like Farlion's character.

Arguskos, those are both incredibly frightening weapons, for incredibly different reasons. ^_^; Keep your ingot-weilding psycho-matey away from me, lol.

Allerdyce, sheer awesome, I'd have loved to have been there to see that, it sounds very cinematic.

As for the bow bayonette, the Complete Scoundrel has a section on bayonettes and ranged weapon blades. Bows can be attached with a puncing dagger-like blade at the front which protrudes from where your fist would be as you're gripping the weapon. I don't have the book to hand, but there may be a penalty to attack roles when using a bow blade or crossbow bayonette since it's more of a backup weapon than a first choice in melee situations. The hand crossbow blade functions exactly like a dagger, however, no penalties at all since the weapon itself is so easily wieldable, making it very attractive to rogues. Blades and bayonettes for ranged weapons can be enchanted, masterwork, and made out of special materials the same as regular weapons, they're very decent additions to an adventurer's panoply.

Learnedguy, ever thought about sticking a garden gnome on the end of a quarterstaff and making it a bludgeoning reach weapon? Anything big and heavy on the end of a long stick makes a good weapon.

-John

overduegalaxy
2009-04-30, 12:18 PM
My group had bluffed our way into a prison where our paladin was being held by some evil hobgoblins. We convinced the hobgoblin guard to open the door somehow, and, when he did, my swashbuckler shoved him into the cell and slammed the door. We figured the paladin would be able to wrestle him into submission or something while we dealt with the other guards.

Nope. The paladin cast poured a vial of Oil of Magic Weapon over a bucket in his cell, and proceeded to beat the hobgoblin to death with it. Since he didn't have any gear (the hobgoblins had locked it away somewhere and we never did find it), he used that bucket for the entire rest of the adventure until we could make it to town.

Neo
2009-04-30, 12:56 PM
My half orc barbarian used Gnomes and Halflings (preferentially armored in a spiked fullplate) as weapons.

I indeed had both the fling ally and the fling enemy feat :smallwink:

Cheers,
Farlion

Reminds me of my old game where my minotaur coshed the heavily armed human fighter and launched him at a castle using a catapult. With all his magical stuff he must have weighed atleast 500 lbs, and with damage/health he managed to survive the impact, but only woke up a few days after the battle.

oxybe
2009-04-30, 12:57 PM
in my gaming group (before i moved here) i've heard stories of a barbarian using a suite of full plate/training dummy (it involved an armor rack/stand thing either way) as an improvised weapon.

he supposedly used it enough that he had it enchanted and became proficient with it.

Burley
2009-04-30, 01:12 PM
My (3.5) warlock focused his Eldritch Blast from little wooden "guns." Basically, a wooden rubber-band gun. He was physically styled after "Number One" from Afro Samurai, except not evil... He was fun.

Lappy9000
2009-04-30, 02:13 PM
My DM allowed my hulking 6'10" fighter to grapple a halfling intiate of the Emerald Claw, and use her to beat the stuffing out of her half-orc companion.

Learnedguy
2009-04-30, 04:31 PM
Learnedguy, ever thought about sticking a garden gnome on the end of a quarterstaff and making it a bludgeoning reach weapon? Anything big and heavy on the end of a long stick makes a good weapon.

Nope, but my my dragonmarked artificer did make a habit of turning obstacles into a tasteful collection of garden gnomes through some artistic interpreting of the Fabricate spell:smalltongue:

Harperfan7
2009-04-30, 09:19 PM
In the complete warrior, it says that if you have a long object, like a bench, you gain a +2 bonus to bull rush attempts. A fighter I once had used a dead warrior to bull rush another warrior off the side of a ship.

The same fighter once hauled a wagon on to a roof using a rope knowing that an enemy was going to walk down the alley below. Once they did, he picked it up over his head (high str + bulls str) and dropped it down on them. I think it did 4d6 on its own, and another 1-2d6 from height, plus they were pinned under it.

I've seen the following...
-telekinesis/violent thrust + flaming dead cow
-zombie sewed up with smokepowder sent into mass of enemies + fireball
-a goblin with a rusty blade dipped in dung (filth fever + tetanus)
-a fighter break the two side wheels of a large carriage, dropping it onto a currently legless troll which was under the carriage using it for cover while trying to claw at nearby enemies

So, basically, wagons/fire/corpses.

RavKal
2009-04-30, 09:47 PM
I once played a half-dragon who used a druid's tiger to bludgeon the druid to death.

The druid had survived a very long fall, which my Half-dragon found rather offensive, as the half-dragon had thrown him.

Lycanthromancer
2009-04-30, 10:32 PM
A friend of mine played a gnome once.

He had a +1 Throwing Returning Flaming Kettle.

He used this kettle to cook with, and also to kill.

And he used prestidigitation to turn the mud he boiled into appetizing meals.

I quickly started to wish I'd never tried his 'cuisine.'

PrismaticPIA
2009-04-30, 10:37 PM
My half ogre fighter used to dual-wield Goblin wizards.

Thurbane
2009-04-30, 10:42 PM
Back in our 1E days in the ToEE, we used a party member paralyzed by a Glyph of Warding as an improvised battering ram. :smalltongue:

...also in our 1E ToEE game, we had the "dungeon trolley". It was a modified mining cart with a thicket of spears and sharpened stakes strapped to the front. Our two halflings (a druid and a rogue) would stand in the trolley casting spells and firing a shortbow, respectively, while the stronger party members all got behind the trolley and pushed it at pace towards the enemy.

It doubled to transport loot and unconcious/dead party members out of the dungeon afterwards. I have fond memories of that contraption. :smallbiggrin:

Rhiannon87
2009-04-30, 11:01 PM
This is nowhere near as awesome as some of the weapons on here, but in the game I'm running, the party dwarves filled a wagon with lantern oil, rocks, and flasks of alchemical fire. They lit a match and shoved it into a set of barricaded wooden doors. Nearly killed the four guys behind them. That was something of a headache to figure out damage and saves for.

Waspinator
2009-05-01, 12:22 AM
I have the Warcraft d20 sourcebooks. Three words: clockwork machine guns.
http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/4339/dwarvenrecoprocator.jpg

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-05-01, 12:31 AM
I've used a Warblade's retraining ability with EWP to break out of prison with a stool(and Mountain Hammer). And then kill someone with it. Ignoble end to a miniboss. :smallbiggrin:

Deepblue706
2009-05-01, 12:33 AM
The first game I ever DM'd was for a single player who chose to be a disgruntled peasant rogue on a desperate mission to kill his king. Armed with a mighty Barrel, for both stealth purposes and use as a heavy weapon, dreaded Bit and Bridle for strangling people, and deadly Fishhooks as stabbing weapons, and a Rusty Longsword (-1 to attacks, it was all he could afford) as his last-ditch-effort weapon, he infiltrated the king's castle, slaughtered every last guard and then beheaded the king.

By the time people realized what happened, this peasant had already fled the scene and went on many, many more heroic, budget murderings.

Alleine
2009-05-01, 12:41 AM
I was playing a monk as my first ever character. The party entered a tower and there were some refuse piles scattered about, limbs from previous adventurers perhaps. Anyhow, there was a particularly nasty creature in one room that I desperately didn't want to get near, yet wanted to use flurry against. What were monks proficient with again? Ah yes, unarmed strikes. What was below me in the refuse pile? Limbs, of course.

Unfortunately I was not allowed to use somebody else's arms as unarmed strikes with reach. *sigh* I thought it was brilliant.

ZeroNumerous
2009-05-01, 12:53 AM
I've used a Warblade's retraining ability with EWP to break out of prison with a stool(and Mountain Hammer). And then kill someone with it. Ignoble end to a miniboss. :smallbiggrin:

In the vein of this, I was locked up when I surrendered to the NPCs and the DM decided that since everyone knew what warblades were they'd put me in a cell with iron bars, a stone stab for a bed and no stool or eating utensils. So I devised a plan to use Mountain Hammer with my fist on the bed then proceed to use Mountain Hammer on the bars with my stone-bed-turned-bludgeoning tool. Unfortunately the DM just told me to be quiet and went back to the rest of the party trying to break me out. My bed-fu never got realized. :smallfrown:

Kobold-Bard
2009-05-01, 02:08 AM
Five Sessions into my first game (lvl 4) I saw the Robe of Useful Items, and proceeded to drool. After weeks of badgering my DM eventually gave me a Robe of Useless Items. It produced nothing but syringes that turned yous skin to a random colour when used on you. I decided to go Assassin, and since I had an endless supply and wanted to create a name for myself I used the syringes via Coup de Grace as my means of dispaching marks. She still uses that as a plot device in her games now.

In a similar manner to others in this thread I have used miniature allies as weapons. D20 Modern I scooped up my 2' 10 companion an hurled him at the miniboss zombie. I hit (Despite penalties) and he then rolled a crit, meaning that his nail gun went straight through the things head rather than its torso. He then nailed its feet to the floor and we shot the hell out of it.

mistformsquirrl
2009-05-01, 02:35 AM
My Mage-Tank. I rarely play casters, partly because I'm rarely allowed <'x'> - I used the Stronghold Builder's guide (3.0) to create a one-room self-propelled (crawling) Iron stronghold.

The great part was the oversized (as in at one point it was the mast off of a schooner) wand of Fireball that served as the main gun. I'd been planning, but never got around to, adding a co-axial wand of Magic Missiles >.>

Sadly <;_;> my lovely tank was destroyed via Deus Ex DM, also known as the "This is getting way too silly so I'm hitting you with 30 Mordenkainen's Disjunction spells" clause.)

Other oddball weapons:

Bee Grenades (not mine but a friend; his druid had err... questionable ideas about how to defend nature)

Auto-Magic Arquebus - It was actually just a +5 Repeating Crossbow of Speed; but it looked like a clockwork style chaingun >.> Unfortunately the character using it was a wizard, so I didn't hit much and it turned into one of those useless wastes of time, money and xp. (Nobody in the party wanted to use it either.)

TheGoldfish
2009-05-01, 02:46 AM
As a GM I've been known to creatively punish players for being general *******s. I had one player in one of my first games who was, to say the least, the worst kind of power gaming munchkin, and had never once tested a magic item before putting it on. I created for him the Thong of Bewilderment. An orange frilly undergarment. When he put it on his armor would vanish completely, leaving him as a burly dwarf wearing nothing but a thong and a smile. This caused 1d4-1 rounds of confusion in his opponents, as they couldn't figure out why the dwarf was naked and winking at them. Other punishment items I've used include the Ring of Indecent Exposure, Girdle of Gender-Bending, and my all time favorite bard musical device, +1 Banjo of Unrequited Horror.

John Campbell
2009-05-01, 10:16 AM
I still feel like some kind of bayonet might have been possible. There's always the old stand-by of "I drop my bow and draw my sword."

You don't even need to do that. If your dominant hand and dominant eye are on the same side (which is usual), you shoot with the bow held in your off hand. You can switch from bow to sword-and-buckler just by drawing the sword. Though switching back, of course, requires you to either drop the sword or take a move action to sheathe it. If you've got Improved Buckler Defense, you even get the shield bonus from the buckler while shooting the bow.

As far as unusual weapons go, I think my weirdest has to be the stuff we got up to with the decanter of endless water (best magic item ever!) back in AD&D. This included drowning a dinosaur infestation out of a city's sewer instead of crawling through the tunnels fighting them face-to-face like suckers, combining dwarven engineering and rogue ingenuity to make a series of increasingly advanced hydraulic cannons, and using it in salt-water mode to ground out a lightning para-elemental (that was just a bad idea all around). Non-weapon uses included jet-propulsion for a levitating gnome...

In 3E, I haven't gotten much weirder than head-butting a wyvern to death. (The character is a human, not a giff or whatever that gets a head-butt natural attack.) Last night, with the same PC, I convinced the DM that I could backstab incorporeal undead with a wand of cure light wounds... though I didn't actually attempt it, because I figured that it was a better use of my time to off the cleric that was summoning them instead.

rokar4life
2009-05-01, 12:14 PM
My half-orc once threw a flaming monk into a mob of zombies that happened to be hanging around by a big pile of gunpowder, we won, but they made me both find a body part, and pay for the resurection(it wasnt easy)

arguskos
2009-05-01, 12:18 PM
A player of mine made a crossbow that we called the MIRV. Pretty much, it was a one-man ballista that did massive damage (1d16+Fort save or pinned to a wall/tree/whatever) and knocked the user back from the insane force. That weapon was pretty hilarious.

He also made a gun that used compressed gas to fire rocks at high speed at people. It was pretty much a handgun.

TSED
2009-05-01, 12:54 PM
A friend of mine custom-built a hormone-controlled bee-gun.

I, sadly, wasn't playing in that game, but seriously. The thing was the bee colony's hive and had a rotating barrel thing. Pulling the trigger caused bees to fly out and perform some act. The different chambers were enchanted from "cover harmlessly" to "sting mercilessly."

Sounds like good times.

Volkov
2009-05-01, 01:42 PM
MIRV Javelin, when it's thrown it breaks apart and sends darts to everything in a 2x2 square diamond, each square can be hit by 1d6 darts. Works great when trying to kill large numbers of humans. Which my new human and demihuman slaying party of me, a Half Dragon Blackscale lizard folk fighter, the Ultralithid Psion, A Human Lich Wizard, A Mummy Cleric, a Half Fiend Kobold Rogue, and an Umber Hulk Barbarian. Needless to say our level gaps are severe. We're currently at level 13-15.

The Mentalist
2009-05-01, 02:21 PM
I had a necromancer with an insane streak...

I animated a dragon head and used it as a thrown weapon. I had quite a few "weapons" like that. Including an undead snake that I used as whip.

penbed400
2009-05-01, 08:41 PM
I was a halfling rouge and he was a drunkard and never made any sense to any of the other characters because he was constantly mumbling to himself. Well I gave him an Intelligent bow. All the bow did was it gave a +1 to attack against other creatures....but the funny thing was that the bow had it's own personality and it absolutely hated the party and specifically halflings and was constantly getting into a fight with the rogue to kill the other characters. Of course it was all through a telepathic link so that none of the other players knew. There was no danger in it but it made for great role-playing since whenever we were talking to other people.
NPC: "Well if you do go on the quest for us we will pay you a sum of money."
Boggle (rouge): "Well hold on just a minute here how mu-....no I won't kill him too...your point is moot because I'm not going to do it...will you shut up so I can ask him about the money...WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT THE MONEY!!!...I'm just not talking to you anymore...there is no need to talk about my mother like that...*sniffle* that either."
Other character: "Anyways about that money?"

Grynning
2009-05-01, 08:55 PM
This isn't as creative as some of the above, but one of my favorite characters was a fighter who wielded a cannon as both a ranged and a melee weapon (shoot the cannon, then hit things with it). After a time of sitting around and hashing out the rules for it, the DM and I decided that wasn't quite ridiculous enough for the Epic-level campaign he had planned, so it evolved into a massive adamantine cannon with a reel on the side, that shot a magic cannonball attached to a chain, that the reel would then retract and turn the whole thing into a monstrous flail. It was completely stupid, but we loved it, and I still have fond memories of the first time I described it in action. To paraphrase:
*Estlegard unslings the tarp covered 6 foot object that he's been carrying*
Estlegard: COVER YOUR EARS!!!
*BOOOOOM*
*rattle rattle...woosh, woosh, woosh"
Other player: That's...pretty *bleepin* cool.

Zergrusheddie
2009-05-01, 09:35 PM
Playing Mutants and Masterminds lead to some interesting weapons:

Deathcloud: This Superhero weighed in at a remarkable 500 pounds and lived mostly on beer, cheese, and beans. His 'weapon' strangulated people. He was actually rather effective; any encounter would only ever last 8 rounds because they would all pass out.

Kinetico (my guy): His weapon was to use his telekinesis to propel a special metal ball bearing at the enemy. His damage was amazing, but I had a massive oversight on my part: I kept my ball in a leather sack. You wouldn't believe the amount of jokes with the punchline "He's taking his ball outta his sack!" I had to live with... :smallsigh:

The most interesting weapon I've ever used in DnD was a 'bottle':
We ever preparing to fight an Fire Elemental Evoker Wizard. We had encountered him before and discovered that his primary strategy was to cast Fireball on himself and the party and end up healing himself for half the damage caused. We broke into his Sanctum and my Ranger won initiative:

Me: "I shift into line of sight, draw my bottle, and throw it at him. *Rolls Natural 20*"
DM: "Ok, your 'bottle' hit him. You used Alchemist Fire on a Fire Elemental?"
Me: "No. Do you remember how we ran into Brown Mold on the earlier levels? Remember how I said I was collecting some of-"
DM: "You were serious about that?!"

The bottle of Brown Mold instantly consumed the Fire Elemental and ended up killing him over the course of a few rounds. The resulting expansion of the Brown Mold killed my Animal Companion and nearly wiped the party, but we won the encounter. The DM accepted my bottle attack, but ruled that biological warfare would never be used again. :smallbiggrin:

Yukitsu
2009-05-01, 09:55 PM
One of my characters used the following to attack things:

Physically manifested morality
Paper air planes
A vampire
A rock, attached to a rope, attached to himself
Himself

My current character attacked someone with:

The fear of a butcher knife
A Rickshaw
Hundreds of poisoned commoners

My favourite character used a gun filled with magnetically sealed darts that were filled with grey goo. My DM said that no one should have access to a conceal carry fire arm with the capability of ending the world. He also used unarmed strikes, while holding unpinned fire flush grenades, which were unecessary, since he could do Falcon punches anyway. In another campaign, he used a book or a wrench as his melee weapon, but his big power was sicking his OStan like robots after enemies. They were unfortuitously useless, however.

Pie Guy
2009-05-01, 09:55 PM
Currently, I'm playing a NE Incarnate, with Incarnate Weapon and Necrocarnum Weapon (Basically Evil congealed into a weapon.)

A few sessions ago, I got a +2 Axe. I realized that technically I could keep both of those soulmelds and use the weapon if I unbound Incarnate Weapon.

A little while later I saw that IW made a certain type of weapon, for Evil, a flail.

As you can see, I was using an axe that looks like a flail surrounded by pure EVIL.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-05-02, 04:57 PM
Lets see....

One of my characters wielded his soul in one hand and his mind in the other.

I designed a character that threw exploding halflings.

A frying pan attached to a giant rubberband. Don't ask.

My current character attacks people with a wall of flying demonic monkeys.

Im designing a BBEG demilich who is thrown by his cohort at the PCs. Again dont ask.

And, of course, the scorpion whip :smallbiggrin:

Rhiannon87
2009-05-03, 10:11 AM
Remembered another odd weapon that's being used in the campaign I'm running. The feral halfling psychic warrior is carrying around a whole bunch of howler quills and using them like one-time-use javelins. The halfling also uses drow jerky to intimidate drow prisoners during interrogations. I don't know if that counts as a weapon. I feel like it kind of should.

Cespenar
2009-05-03, 05:06 PM
My friend's paladin once elbow-dropped a prone drow to death. While wearing full-plate.

Goldwing
2009-05-03, 09:22 PM
I don't know if this really counts, but what the hey...

A Bag of Holding, a giant rabid squirrel, and a sewing needle.

:smallamused:

Assassin89
2009-05-03, 10:23 PM
A living book. My group found it in a library of some wizard, and I was its first victim due to my character's scolding the other members for " stealing from someone's house", but no harm was done to me due to a high enough AC. The book was later stated out as an equivalent to a badger, and it was used in an interrogation.

The second victim was a female fighter who was tied to a stone slab after a fight involving her and a half-orc rogue against our group. During interrogation, the tactic I used was trying to talk the prisoner to death. The book was a last resort when the fighter did not give any information. Unlike me, it nearly killed her, but information was given, she was healed slightly, and she became a temporary party member due to knowing about the place.

Starbuck_II
2009-05-03, 10:48 PM
And, of course, the scorpion whip :smallbiggrin:

I'm curious: what method did you use to roll 1d43?

Knaight
2009-05-03, 10:57 PM
This wasn't D&D at all, but I had a character who was preparing for an invasion. So he got a ton of tiny clay jars, filled them with finely grained chili pepper, and waited in a tree. He then used his sling to fire the jars as bird shot and make clouds of eye stinging chili pepper once the invasion was underway. It worked extremely well.

Dacia Brabant
2009-05-03, 10:58 PM
-telekinesis/violent thrust + flaming dead cow

It must be said: Fetchez la vache.

What, no mention of sword-chucks? Huh, I guess that's not peculiar anymore.

I seem to remember in a Spelljammer game using Giant Space Hamsters as catapult ammunition, and their, uh, leavings as jettison ammunition. :smalleek:

And of course the ever-popular severed Rust Monster antenna.

TheCountAlucard
2009-05-03, 11:28 PM
I seem to remember in a Spelljammer game using Giant Space Hamsters as catapult ammunition, and their, uh, leavings as jettison ammunition.Kind of reminds me of my group's Saga Edition game; our Togorian was so good at dealing damage with his claws that we designed an exceptionally-large torpedo tube specifically for the purpose of firing him at enemy ships.

lesserarchangel
2009-05-04, 12:07 AM
At one point, my tiefling wizard was set on fire. He and his gear had fire resist 10, mundane fire only does 1d6/round, and I had just been reading http://drmcninja.com/page.php?pageNum=15&issue=4 ... It made an interesting defense - all I had to do was to keep intentionally failing my reflex saves.

In a earlier game, my dragonborn cleric was bound and gagged with ropes. Since one of his breath weapons was fire, the rest of the party was only a little surprised when I broke out of prison in a total of twelve seconds. The next time, the DM put me bound with chains inside an adamantine cell. But another breath weapon was sonic - so I _sneezed_ my way out of prison.

Edit: then there was the paladin who preferred to spare lives if he could, so he would leave subdued enemies glued to walls (normal glue); the monk who got reincarnated and used her old body as club; an artificer who used only dust of sneezing and choking; a telekinetic gnome who fought with six large greatswords he shipped around in our airskiff the rest of the time; and a House Lyrander Factotum who was fond of destroying armies with tornadoes. Interesting party.

Generic Archer
2009-05-04, 01:31 AM
I am not personally behind any of these, but I have seen a pair of meat hooks used to decimate an entire room(they made it easy to remove the corpses from the battle line too...) and my favorite, a half mad character that had his weapons confiscated, so he stole some dude's spine, and used it to stab several others. It may have been used as a garrote as well but I'm not sure.

Ganurath
2009-05-04, 02:09 AM
I once hugged a couatl and it exploded. It was a dream spell variation, but it was still impressive since my level was 1/5th a couatl's CR.

Allerdyce
2009-05-04, 03:11 AM
One I'd forgotten about till now: My roommate used my dying body in a trip attempt against a gnoll. =/

First time playing DnD at all seriously, and we got the crap kicked out of us by gnolls. Roommate was the only one left alive, and was being chased by gnoll. Since he was carrying me, he basically said "Screw this!" and threw me at the gnoll, which DM ruled that, due to the way he threw me, he wouldn't hit but it would be a trip attempt. And thus gnoll fell, I stabilized, and roommate was able to ensure that, while we all died, so did the gnolls. And then the campaign got weird.

Burley
2009-05-04, 12:03 PM
This wasn't D&D at all, but I had a character who was preparing for an invasion. So he got a ton of tiny clay jars, filled them with finely grained chili pepper, and waited in a tree. He then used his sling to fire the jars as bird shot and make clouds of eye stinging chili pepper once the invasion was underway. It worked extremely well.

I did something similar by hollowing out eggs and filling them with metal shavings, dirt and spices. I was allowed to use exactly once before the DM decide a 1st level PC shouldn't have a dozen blinding weapons for less than a silver piece.
(I made it a point to teach the technique to every friendly NPC we met, though. Along with the "buy a ladder and sell two 10-ft poles" thing. Singlehandedly destroyed the economy of many small towns.

"I use bad ideas as weapons."

herrhauptmann
2009-05-04, 02:57 PM
Nope. The paladin cast poured a vial of Oil of Magic Weapon over a bucket in his cell, and proceeded to beat the hobgoblin to death with it. Since he didn't have any gear (the hobgoblins had locked it away somewhere and we never did find it), he used that bucket for the entire rest of the adventure until we could make it to town.

He beat someone to death with a chamberpot??
That's sweet!

Edit: Sorta long
Stole one from the Stronghold builders guidebook: Found a large pool of water, like 40x40 and 20feet deep. Convinced the cleric to do many castings of 'create holy water' and the sorc to do a shrink item and permancy (no idea why he had those, since he rarely used either one). So I now got to carry around a blue lump of shimmery cloth.
Later in the next dungeon, we encountered a lich and a large number of minor undead in a room with a quite a few pit traps. Got the paladin to bullrush the lich into one of the exposed pits (on top of the sorc who couldn't climb out after 3 tries). And I threw the holy water bundle on top of him.
DM ruled that the lich and minor undead would continue to take holy damage until they could swim to the top. On top of that, the sorc actually had ranks in swim, so he easily swam to the surface on his next turn. Cleric managed to get everyone but my dwarf on the surface for a waterwalk.
Since I couldn't make that swim check without a 18, I spent the next few rounds grappling the lich underwater. Ended up drowning in the end, but when the lich finally surfaced, he died to a single paladin smite.

Since we were doing a quest I opposed, but I sacrificed myself for it, DM decided that I become sancitified, so my body didn't rot for the 2 weeks it took them to raise me (cleric died next fight). And I was to come back as a saint, though the game ended before I could do that part. :(

WeeFreeMen
2009-05-04, 03:15 PM
In my current campaign, my Privateer Crusader (CN), was very angered when she found out that someone had taken her ship with her newest hold of gold bricks in it. So she went to the nearest Pub to gather info, when she was harassed by some pirates..In short one of them hit on her bragging about having a third leg, in which case my character found this funny and proceeded to Punch the table into splinters that they were sitting at, and Impaled the pirates "Third Leg" making him have a Peg Leg :smalltongue:

Hehe, good times. No man knows Scorn like a Woman's Wrath!

Knuckles1388
2009-05-05, 01:21 AM
@WeeFreeMen 'Hehe, good times. No man knows Scorn like a Woman's Wrath!'
Dont you mean 'Hell Hath No Fury Like A Women Scorned.'

sambo.
2009-05-05, 01:29 AM
i remember one individual in a ShadowRun game who had a cybernetic, 1'-7' explosivly-extendable Mithril (or some such super metal) penis he used as a close in melee weapon.

his battle cry was "Let Me F... With Your Head".

he also used to wonder why he couldn't get a date.......

Tyrmatt
2009-05-05, 07:27 AM
I've used a Robe of Bones to slow down enemies climbing up towards our party before. I reasoned that getting a heavy and disgruntled zombie in the face was enough to disrupt an elf's climb check and force them to fall. Our fighter was already carrying the unconscious rogue (our only ranged attacker) and I'd used all my ranged damage cleric spells to collapse some tunnels earlier.
So I started chucking zombies. Meanwhile the fighter climbed up out of the cave and pulling me up on the rope. I asked if I could use a move action as a standard action to hold onto the rope and my other action to drop another zombie. By the time I had been pulled up out of the cave, there was a very angry pile of elves, zombies and skeletons in the cave. I stablised the rogue and he dropped some explosives he had down into the hole after that...

And the DM swore I was wasting my money and turn attempts on that robe!