PDA

View Full Version : Anyone read P. C. Hodgell's Kencyrath novels?

Talanic
2009-04-30, 06:03 PM
Even if you haven't read the books, there's still a bit of gaming news (though, it's mostly boasting). The books are a bit old, as the author suffered almost unfathomable backstabberry from her previous publishers, one of which actually skipped out on five years' worth of her pay. However, they have some small cult status, and the author's recently retired to write full-time, so the rest of the series is definitely coming.

I have some personal stake in whether or not people read them, as the author's my old professor from college. She encouraged me to write, and we often talked long after class had let out, discussing many topics - including D&D.

Flash forward to last week. I got back in touch with her and it turns out she remembered our talks and had been considering having an RPG made, based on her books. I had also been thinking of the same thing. We started to put things in motion.

By this Tuesday, she had gotten in contact with her agent, with the revelation that, first, she does have gaming rights, and second, the agent has worked with independents like me to produce RPGs before and wanted me to send her an email. I'm waiting for my response now.

I'm fairly well stoked. I've needed a job for a while, but nobody's been hiring - and here comes something that I love doing. Odds are good (but not definite) that the RPG, when finished, will be released as a free download - the market for it is too small for traditional publication, so we'd be doing it to give a treat to fans, as well as to encourage them to show the books to their friends.

Keldrin
2009-05-07, 01:58 PM
I was the cult in Vancouver :smallbiggrin: . I love God Stalk, and have re-read it many times. I bought extra copies and leant them out to anyone who'd hold still long enough. Unfortunately I was less enthralled by the sequels, I think Jame was more interesting in Tai-Tastigon, I was less interested in the political machinations of the Kencyr, but I would like to read the 4th and 5th books (I'd have to track them and the third one down first, only read Seeker's Mask once back in '95).

I'm sorry to hear of her publisher woes, and hope things are going better for her. I wish you both well with this future endevour.

Talanic
2009-05-21, 04:01 PM
Sorry I haven't checked back in a bit - this shouldn't count as total thread necromancy (I hope).

Anyway, the possibility of a game is still looming. I've been working on the rules, even though the contract about its production is still being written and I have no idea whatsoever what its terms will actually be. Regardless, this should be fun.

As far as quality goes, Keldrin, I'd rate the fourth book as best (so far), followed by first, second and third.