PDA

View Full Version : strips or time?

Half-blood
2009-04-30, 06:43 PM
So, V's deal with the three fiends means that V has to work off however much time he uses 3 fold right? would this translate "how many strips" or "how many day?"

Flickerdart
2009-04-30, 06:52 PM
So, V's deal with the three fiends means that V has to work off however much time he uses 3 fold right? would this translate "how many strips" or "how many day?"
Seconds. Milliseconds, probably, as Lee wouldn't let him get away without paying for every little bit of what's owed.

Linkavitch
2009-04-30, 07:00 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the general consensus is that it's going to be in-comic time, and not days.

@Flickerdart: Though, if the Feinds timed it right, they could say the deal was for days, instead of exact time, and get up to an extra twelve hours off of V.

JJ48
2009-04-30, 07:01 PM
Oh, no! Did the fiends ever specify that the time was IN COMIC?! That means, even though all these events have pretty much happened in a day or two, that V will have to spend MONTHS in the company of the fiends, with every second seeming as an eternity! Oh, woe is V!

magic9mushroom
2009-04-30, 07:37 PM
Oh, no! Did the fiends ever specify that the time was IN COMIC?! That means, even though all these events have pretty much happened in a day or two, that V will have to spend MONTHS in the company of the fiends, with every second seeming as an eternity! Oh, woe is V!

That would be not even no fourth wall, but a negative fourth wall. I don't think Rich is going to pull one of those.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-04-30, 07:39 PM

In that case, wouldn't the time served also be real time?

JJ48
2009-04-30, 07:56 PM
In that case, wouldn't the time served also be real time?

Depends on the contract.

Dagren
2009-04-30, 09:41 PM
Depends on the contract.This part of the contract was covered here. (#633 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0633.html)) It's definitely not measured in strips, and seems to imply comic time, not real time (in which hours is an incredibly small unit of time in terms of the comic).

Laughing Dragon
2009-05-01, 08:48 AM
As I recall ... each fiend will get as much time as their representative was under V's control. Therefore, whichever one contributed the necromancer will get the least amount of said time.

I agree with the majority that such time will be taken in small bits and will not be contiguous.

ThisIsNotDan
2009-05-02, 01:37 AM
I definitely think it's time, and I'd also like to point out that V very well could have spent no more than 20 minutes with the splice at this point--from teleporting away to kill the dragon, to a brief spat with his mate, to teleporting the fleet and getting the directions, to uniting with the party and teleporting them to the fleet--the only real wiggle room here regarding time is how long V had to wait for Haley and Belkar to return from their golem raid, and I get the feeling that it wasn't very long.

Also, I second the idea (which has not been stated in-comic) that each fiend only gets as much time with V's soul as that fiend's respective splice spent with V. So Haerta's fiend is looking at 2 or 3 minutes, tops.

ChowGuy
2009-05-02, 01:49 AM
Given the nature of the comic, it would probably not be in terms of "days," "minutes," or any other Real World measure of time, but rather in "turns" which may take an arbitrary length. All of the characters are, after all, quite aware of that convention and of how it affects the number of actions/distance they can travel, and it would not be unlikely to expect the fiends to wish to exploit that to the limit, by, for example, taking their alloted time with V not in a single lump within their own planes, but incrementally for one or two turns at a time, allowing them to control the outcomes of crtitical events in the mortal plane that they could not otherwise influence.

shadzar
2009-05-02, 01:59 AM
I think actions would fit a good time. Whatever the fiends want done when V has the chance may be done through V for an equal number of actions (segments, turns, minutes) that will equal the time that soul spent with V.

So that V does the bidding of the fiends while still alive one action or spell use at a time.

Might make for interesting squabbles between the fiends as it also say the order of who gets the soul when is to be determined at a later date, so they can switch up and have V do different things for each of them. Like V having to help Sabine kill Elan or Haley or something. :smallfurious: