PDA

View Full Version : 649 Wall-breaking in the book

jmucchiello
2009-05-01, 03:52 PM
How in the world will Haley's journey in #649 work when that strip makes it to the book? Will Rich include the extremely dated cast of characters "strip" in the book?

Actually I'm just hoping to hear something about the next book release. :)

The Pilgrim
2009-05-01, 04:24 PM
My bet is that the Book covering the strips up until 650 will still display the old cast page. With the Diamond. Otherwise the joke at 649 could not be understood.

The Book covering the strips from 650 on will display the actual cast page, with the "I.O. Me" note.

Sholos
2009-05-01, 04:24 PM
I think the only people who will be buying the book that this strip is in are people who have either read the previous books (in which case they will have seen the cast page) or people who have been reading the strip online (in which case it's likely that they've seen the cast page). Either way, it works.

Eric O'Really
2009-05-01, 04:25 PM
well, i admit i dont own any of the books (i know, shame over me. should at least grab the prequels) but i imagine it will be the old cast strip on one of the first pages and the updated cast strip on the last page in the book.

so, if a reader flips to the last page, he will get a good laugh, if he remembers how haley stole the diamond from the original page.

xyzzy
2009-05-01, 05:08 PM
Given that the cast page only appeared as an extra in the first book, I don't think it's tremendously likely it'll show up in book 4.

Steward
2009-05-01, 05:25 PM
You could really just omit this entire strip. The only reason it was necessary for her to get the diamond was because Durkon lost his diamonds. If he wanted to, he could easily avoid this entire thing by not having his diamonds stolen in the first place and skipping directly from the last strip to the next one.

Kroy
2009-05-01, 05:30 PM
I think the only people who will be buying the book that this strip is in are people who have either read the previous books (in which case they will have seen the cast page) or people who have been reading the strip online (in which case it's likely that they've seen the cast page). Either way, it works.

Not in my case. I started reading at 9, but soon forgot about the whole comic. While the strips before LG, they aren't exceptional. Many years later, I got NCFtPB for my birthday.

Sholos
2009-05-01, 05:51 PM
Unless, of course, the thieves getting the diamonds becomes a future (or soon to be0 plot point. In that case, it'd be very hard to omit this strip.

Not to mention it would be weird to go from 648 straight to 650.

EDIT: Ninja'd

rainbowjo
2009-05-01, 06:44 PM
You could really just omit this entire strip. The only reason it was necessary for her to get the diamond was because Durkon lost his diamonds. If he wanted to, he could easily avoid this entire thing by not having his diamonds stolen in the first place and skipping directly from the last strip to the next one.

You have to consider the possibility that the diamonds got stolen to give Bozzok the diamonds to resurrect Crystal, who will go after Haley with a vengeance now, order or not.

Thajocoth
2009-05-01, 06:56 PM

With no actual link to the cast page anywhere, I had never found it before a link to it was posted in this forum after this comic. So I've never seen the old cast page. I started reading OotS in January. After reading this strip I was poking around the site failing to locate a cast page, came to the forums to ask where to find it, and found it had already been linked to. So no, I don't think that's a safe assumption.

Blackeagle
2009-05-01, 07:37 PM
With no actual link to the cast page anywhere, I had never found it before a link to it was posted in this forum after this comic.

There's a link at the top and bottom of every comic (the circle with a question mark).

zyphyr
2009-05-01, 07:40 PM
With no actual link to the cast page anywhere, I had never found it before a link to it was posted in this forum after this comic. So I've never seen the old cast page.

The circle with a ? in it above the comic is the link.

KillianHawkeye
2009-05-01, 09:13 PM
As another person who pays no attention to circles with question marks in them, I can relate to not being able to find the cast page. It's not as though it's completely obvious, guys. :smallconfused:

raphfrk
2009-05-01, 09:32 PM

You can see the old version of the page here (http://web.archive.org/web/20080213031518/http://www.giantitp.com/comics/ootscast.html).

ABB
2009-05-02, 04:39 AM
If haley was really smart, she'd have just dragged roy back from the character page and no need for a resurrection at all.

shadzar
2009-05-02, 04:53 AM
If haley was really smart, she'd have just dragged roy back from the character page and no need for a resurrection at all.

Or maybe she couldn't because she knew she already took the diamond since she already had the IOMe and knew the diamond went missing.

That whole temporal paradox thing. So the only reason Harry was able to cast the patronous was because he already did...wait what?

I also think Haley is the only one that has left the strip before IIRC. Electric Orb knocked her out one and into the next, so she probably already saw how to come and go from it.

Vizen
2009-05-02, 05:04 AM

But think of the levels Roy has (most likely) gained from when he appeared in the Cast Page. It just wouldn't be the same..

factotum
2009-05-02, 07:18 AM
There's nothing stopping Rich including both the old and new versions of the cast page in the next book as bonus material--the old cast page has already been included in the first book that way, after all. It isn't really necessary to understanding the gag in the strip, though.