PDA

View Full Version : Arms of Cancer, Gripping Tight [Artifact 3.5]

Krimm_Blackleaf
2009-05-01, 04:13 PM
Basatan's Arm [Major Artifact]
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y265/Nny2/BasatansArm.jpg
This strange device is more accurately described as a severed limb with the ability to attach to a severed limb of a humanoid host. The arm itself is very unlike a human's arm as it was an arm to Bastatan, and instead is one of the many crab-like claws and mandibles that jut from the immobile god's armored carapace. This limb can be placed on an arm that's been severed just below the shoulder, much in the same way the Hand and Eye of Vecna can be placed in the socket or on the wrist. Once attached, the arm wires it's way throughout the nervous, muscular and skeletal system of the character, improving in some ways and deteriorating in others. The user of the arm gains a +6 bonus to both Strength and Constitution and a natural armor bonus of +10(which stacks with other natural armor and those granted from a magical source), while taking a -2 penalty to their Dexterity from the increase in overall mass. It also grants the bearer the ability to breath in water as easily as they can air, and easily traverse any seafloor as easily as land, moving at full speed though taking all normal penalties for being underwater, with the exception of attacks made with the claw. This benefit includes ignoring any oceanic pressures. The user's Intelligence score also increase by +4, and the claw gives a +8 circumstance bonus on all Intimidate checks due to it's grotesque appearance, but the madspawn nature of the limb reduces the user's Wisdom by 4 and imposes a -4 penalty on all saves against confusion and fear effects. The claw also reaches into the soul and mind of the target and grants them continuous true seeing.
The claw itself deals 1d10 points of damage plus 1-1/2 Str modifier in piercing and bludgeoning damage and has a 19-20 critical range, with a x3 critical modifier. It can grip items, but cannot be used to wield weapons and is useless for fine manipulation.
This arm grants the bearer the ability to use maneuvers as though it were a martial adept, though one who could have only learned from creatures beyond the shores and skirting the edges of chaos. The bearer is capable of using maneuvers as a warblade of it's own level(including stances), except it can only use maneuvers of the the Far Realm (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3410915&postcount=5) and Ocean Soul (http://wiki.faxcelestis.net/index.php?title=Ocean_Soul_Discipline#Three) disciplines. There are differences however, such as the bearer knows all maneuvers of both disciplines and are only limited to their number of maneuvers readied and can only ready a number of maneuvers equal to the bearer's Charisma modifier. Attacks used with maneuvers gained this way can only be made through the claw.
Another use of the arm is the ability to drive those around the arm and the bearer itself mad. As a standard action, the bearer can use the insanity spell as a supernatural ability or spread the area of the spell over a 30-ft. burst but instead of acting as the insanityspell, it acts as the confusion spell, both with a DC equal to 10+1/2 HD+Cha modifier. Whenever the user uses the ability, they must make an equal DC or render themself confused, as the spell. Additionally, anyone who fails the Will save has a permanent phobia of the sea, crabs and all crab-related imagery. A break enchantment spell does not work to remove the effect, but a heal spell or greater magic does.
The longer the bearer owns the arm of Basatan, the more do they feel the corruption and mutation of Basatan and his creations. The bearer will cease to age, not growing in age and never dying of it but as they continue to live on with the arm, the more and more crab-like they will become. Bearers can sometimes live over a thousand years and appear as nothing but a giant, aberrant crab with an overlarge arm.
CL 30th; no aura

TheLogman
2009-05-01, 06:46 PM
It's kinda hard to read. Could you maybe space it out a little? Make it into paragraphs by information, and bullet point the effects of the artifact?

Otherwise, interesting, but not much to see besides one or two special effects, a weapon, and some bonuses to stats. It would probably be a more interesting item if it had more special attacks/effects and fewer straight bonuses.

Pie Guy
2009-05-01, 09:39 PM
You don't specify what type of damage the claw does (e.g. Slashing, Piercing).

Lappy9000
2009-05-01, 10:15 PM
I hate crabs because they extinguish the idea of cancer-inducing slam attacks :smallmad:

Although the idea of the party bard frantically screaming "I gots crabs fo' arms! I gots crabs fo' arms! WoooOoooOoOooo!" is hilarious.

Gorgondantess
2009-05-01, 11:22 PM
Wait, so this is the arm of an elder god? As in, like, a cthulloid type of god? God of madness and all that? So, lessee.... a bonus to a few stats, a small penalty, a natural weapon and then the ability to essentially cast confusion. Riiiiight....
Krimm, I should have expected better from you. This is the arm of, I'm assuming, crab-cthulhu (kindof). The least you could do is throw in a wisdom penalty to reflect the fact you have the appendage of an elder god on you and it's severely effecting your mental stability. (I suppose that's the -2 to confusion and fear, but oh well.)
Seriously though, it needs some work. All in all kindof bland.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2009-05-02, 06:54 AM
Wait, so this is the arm of an elder god? As in, like, a cthulloid type of god? God of madness and all that? So, lessee.... a bonus to a few stats, a small penalty, a natural weapon and then the ability to essentially cast confusion. Riiiiight....
Krimm, I should have expected better from you. This is the arm of, I'm assuming, crab-cthulhu (kindof). The least you could do is throw in a wisdom penalty to reflect the fact you have the appendage of an elder god on you and it's severely effecting your mental stability. (I suppose that's the -2 to confusion and fear, but oh well.)
Seriously though, it needs some work. All in all kindof bland.

Well, it's not supposed to be anything particularly important from Basatan's body, it's the equivalent of you losing a skin flake.

Eldan
2009-05-02, 07:51 AM
Oooh! Can I have that for Ashator? :smalltongue:

Krimm_Blackleaf
2009-05-02, 05:17 PM
Oooh! Can I have that for Ashator? :smalltongue:

...Maybe....if you play your cards right...

Edit: Also, I altered the arm some.

DracoDei
2009-05-03, 12:51 AM
The manuvars seem a lot more powerful than the confusion effect, at least at higher levels (and most characters to get this would be high level). This makes the statement that "its most powerful ability is" seem questionable. I guess it is unlimited uses, but since it doesn't have any IFF...

Proven_Paradox
2009-05-03, 07:37 PM
Gotta agree with Draco on this one; the maneuver progression is a LOT more powerful than the confusion effect. It's almost the same effect as taking <whatever you are>//warblade gestalt, and that is absolutely HUGE. Not that you should change it--it is, after all, an artifact--but I'd re-word the description.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2009-05-03, 07:49 PM
Gotta agree with Draco on this one; the maneuver progression is a LOT more powerful than the confusion effect. It's almost the same effect as taking <whatever you are>//warblade gestalt, and that is absolutely HUGE. Not that you should change it--it is, after all, an artifact--but I'd re-word the description.

I'm taking from the same model as an artifact in the BoVD that was basically a solid demon heart that let you cast spells as a sorcerer of your level, but only let you cast necromancy spells. I don't really think it needs reworking, because the way it's put now is my intent. This is supposed to be so utterly broken that it was meant for BBEG's and people who deserve to have big pieces of elder gods replacing important appendages.

Innis Cabal
2009-05-03, 07:57 PM
I'm taking from the same model as an artifact in the BoVD that was basically a solid demon heart that let you cast spells as a sorcerer of your level, but only let you cast necromancy spells. I don't really think it needs reworking, because the way it's put now is my intent. This is supposed to be so utterly broken that it was meant for BBEG's and people who deserve to have big pieces of elder gods replacing important appendages.

Yes....but that item is absolutly insane...over all have to agree. Bland

Krimm_Blackleaf
2009-05-03, 08:29 PM
Yes....but that item is absolutly insane...over all have to agree. Bland

I suppose I can rework it, then...

Edit: And so altered.

Eldan
2009-05-04, 03:24 AM
"but instead of acting as the confusion spell, it acts as the confusion spell"

That seems to be a mistake of some kind, or at least something I don't understand.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2009-05-04, 04:01 AM
"but instead of acting as the confusion spell, it acts as the confusion spell"

That seems to be a mistake of some kind, or at least something I don't understand.

Oh, woops.