PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion

quick_comment
2009-05-01, 06:33 PM
Does a creature under the effects of suggestion have to do nothing but work on the suggested course of action?

If they are attacked, can they defend themselves?

What exactly is "an obviously harmful act?" Can it be "burn your spellbook"? "Take off your armor"? "Dismiss all your buffs"?

Maristyl
2009-05-01, 06:55 PM
They can defend themselves unless part of the suggestion would cause them not to, for example you suggest they view you as a trusted ally, then if you attacked them they would flatfooted. Because of the whole reasonable clause it all depends on the circumstances, take off your armor or dismiss all your buffs because you're among friends and no one would hurt you here is reasonable if they don't know you're an enemy. Burn your spellbook is unlikely to ever be reasonable. At least, it seems to read that way to me.

Suggestion
Enchantment (Compulsion) [Language-Dependent, Mind-Affecting]
Level: Brd 2, Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One living creature
Duration: 1 hour/level or until completed
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

You influence the actions of the target creature by suggesting a course of activity (limited to a sentence or two). The suggestion must be worded in such a manner as to make the activity sound reasonable. Asking the creature to do some obviously harmful act automatically negates the effect of the spell.

The suggested course of activity can continue for the entire duration. If the suggested activity can be completed in a shorter time, the spell ends when the subject finishes what it was asked to do. You can instead specify conditions that will trigger a special activity during the duration. If the condition is not met before the spell duration expires, the activity is not performed.

A very reasonable suggestion causes the save to be made with a penalty (such as -1 or -2).
Material Component

A snake’s tongue and either a bit of honeycomb or a drop of sweet oil.

AslanCross
2009-05-01, 07:02 PM
Ninja'd. The "reasonable" clause makes the spellbook burning difficult. IMO you'd have to cast an illusion spell on the book to make the affected person believe that something he doesn't like is possessing the book (subject to saves of course), THEN you suggest that "burning the spellbook can get rid of the demons" or something.

I'd say that even under a suggestion, they don't go around in a mindless stupor (the mere fact that they are forced to do something they consider reasonable means they still have the ability to judge whether something is reasonable or not; the spell only forces them to do it if their judgment agrees), and so they can defend themselves if attacked. However, you can make them say "relax, take it easy, we won't hurt you"---this would be reasonable. Then you can attack (surprise round for you and allies), but once his turn comes around, I doubt he would just sit there and let you beat him to death.

quick_comment
2009-05-01, 07:11 PM
Could you use iron heart surge under the effect of suggestion?

AslanCross
2009-05-01, 07:21 PM
Thorny question. Here's a WOTC thread I found regarding IHS:

http://forums.gleemax.com/archive/index.php/t-1011569.html

Shinizak
2009-05-01, 09:02 PM
I have a question myself about suggestion, and since I don't want to clog up the board any more I'll just hijack this topic.

If I wanted to, could I make a suggestion trap that makes anyone picking a lock to instead make it it harder to pick the lock? For instance, Could the rouge be picking a lock, suddenly be implanted with the (false) telepathic knowledge that all that lies on the other end of the door is going to kill them, then could a contingent suggestion make her instead fix the lock (and thus raise the open lock DC) so that it's harder to get through. In her mind she would be making it harder for what ever was(not) on the other side of the door to kill them...

What do you think?

Zeful
2009-05-01, 09:34 PM
Could you use iron heart surge under the effect of suggestion?

Does the character know that he's under Suggestion?

If Yes: Then yes.
If Other: Then No.

Does a creature under the effects of suggestion have to do nothing but work on the suggested course of action?No, not even Geas can do that.

If they are attacked, can they defend themselves?Yes, but how they defend themselves depends on the suggestion.

What exactly is "an obviously harmful act?" Can it be "burn your spellbook"? "Take off your armor"? "Dismiss all your buffs"?Obviously harmful is "Stab yourself", "Drink poison". Something which is associated directly with Hp loss or instant death. The things you list fall under a different clause entirely.

Pie Guy
2009-05-01, 10:00 PM
You might not get them to burn their spellbook, but maybe "Golly gee whiz, that's a nifty spellbook. Can I see it and maybe copy down a spell or two?"

Edit: Quote mark.