PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice on an expirianced trouble maker in my first Gmed game.

SeraphRainy
2009-05-01, 07:03 PM
Hmm I have just hosted my first game and we are using a modified white wolf system. It is one third of the way through a story arch and I have just had a huuuuge snafu.

My pcs are: One necomancer(now killed and out of the players control. This was a first time sit down RPer)

One alchemist dhampire (also dead and also first time.)

One barbarian hack and slasher still alive but oblivious to situaition

One high elf rogue (archer) missed the session with the snafu

One illusionist dragonkin who is a scribe and has decent phys power

One Fae politician with glamor and nothing else.

The problen player is the illusionist and partialy the polititian.

The campagne focuses around a set of intregues that themselves are about the line of succesion for the main kingdom.

An illegitimate prince is returning with his campagning army to claim the throne from the new lord who was recently elected after the old lord(and princes father) death. The current lord sent for the party as they are leaders in their regions so that he could garner more support as he tries to raise more troops since the princes troops outnumber his current gaurd.

The necromancer, elf, dhampire and barbarian are all local leaders and carry a certain designated troop strength with their pledge of alligance. (kind of like william wallace style.) But the illusionist was hired by an unkown source (which he belives is the black prince to keep tabs on the other four party members. The politician is a counter agent for the current lord who was sent with fake orders to decive the illusionist into helping the party to get to the capital so that the current lord can recruit their aid.

Last session the illusionist and politician (who are my most expirianced players came up with this scheme to kill the necromancer and dhampire merely because they saw the players as dead weight and could justify it in character. So they snapped their necks while keeping the party oblivious.

Now aside from borking my story up they killed the first characters of my two other friends and PCs just for kicks and giggles realy. Which pieves me not only cause its cruel but because my first character died a horrible death. (In my case it was just luck though since I rolled realy badly on a tumbling roll.)

So I plan for their to be reprocusions from this part of which is that I raise the two dead characters and they jioned the princes side. Also the two who did the ploting and murdering were going against direct orders and will not be well recieved by thier boss for making decisions without the whole picture.

But any advice on how to deal with this. Im a little miffed here at what theyve done not just to my storyline(cause that grows back) but to my other friends. Sooo yeah.

quick_comment
2009-05-01, 07:15 PM
http://www.spellchecker.net/spellcheck/

Also, just tell the player that you dont want him killing other players. If he insists on pushing the issue, have him arrested for murder, and just say that the closest town guard has magic wards to detect murder in the surrounding area.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-05-01, 07:32 PM
Have some of the problem players' underlings kill their characters in their sleep to steal whatever authority/power they have for themselves, then go join the villain. They should be able to take a hint as to why it happened, and should know better than to try something like that in the future.

SeraphRainy
2009-05-01, 07:39 PM
srry Im on drugs right now so my spelling is off.

I thought about just stomping em in any number of ways but due to what kind of people they are they would find it funny.

They don't have that kind of character attachment that any normal person does(just cause their long term RPers) and they would find those both spectacularly amusing ends for the characters and just make new ones. (Or even worse get miffed at the GM fiat and bear a grudge in or out of game.)

penbed400
2009-05-01, 07:54 PM
I remember my first trouble maker. Unfortunately it took me forever to find out a way to beat him to a pulp. The next person who tried something like that by trying to steal something in a merchant town right after I told them not to got caught with no Sleight of Hand DC because the guard auto-spotted and he was thrown out of the town and put out of action for the next two gaming sessions. He decided to stop doing stuff like that afterwords. You are the most powerful god in the game, you control everything just remember that. What I recommend is have the authorities find out, make sure it fits with the story but yea they get caught and what's really fun is to have them captured by over-powered guards and then have a curse put on them for their transgressions. If you wish you can even stage a trial and have evidence shown and everything. It's a great role-playing experience. Let the curse have any consequences you wish upon them. Maybe a minus to attacking, maybe they can only move at half speed, one thing to definitely have is that the curse has a tracker on it so that the authorities can know where the player is at all times. My personal favorite though is that if the player does an evil act then have their HP drop to 0 with no save DC. It may sound a little mean but they will learn to stop eventually, if not just get meaner. They have to understand that they need to be courteous to not only your game but the other players as well.

Dervag
2009-05-01, 07:56 PM
srry Im on drugs right now so my spelling is off.:smalleek:

I thought about just stomping em in any number of ways but due to what kind of people they are they would find it funny.

They don't have that kind of character attachment that any normal person does(just cause their long term RPers) and they would find those both spectacularly amusing ends for the characters and just make new ones. (Or even worse get miffed at the GM fiat and bear a grudge in or out of game.)I suggest that if these two aren't willing to play with you, you shouldn't play with them. And right now they aren't playing with you. They're playing their own little game of "amuse ourselves at everyone else's expense."

Pronounceable
2009-05-02, 12:51 AM
Tell them not to, then kick them out. "Experienced" players without major attachment to their PCs are immune to in game deus ex machinas.

Wrecking the DM's campaign is all right and proper, but killing two first timers is unforgivable. WTF were they think they were doing?

Myou
2009-05-02, 03:06 AM
Tell them not to kill other players.

If they try to do it again tell them that a deus ex machina makes their heads explode and refuse to let them make new characters.

SeraphRainy
2009-05-02, 04:22 AM
Just to put your mind at rest dervag they are perscription drugs. Because I just got my wisdom teeth out.

Ty for the advice: your right they arent playing with me, Ill address them about how upset I am with their killing my first timers even if they try to play it off as a "we were realy helping them by liberating/making them start over/ect." (which they probly will try to do and might even belive it themselves.)

But I like pen and Cn's thoughts on this. I think theyre tied not so much to their characters but to the Rping itself. So I already know they will come in contact with a Sidhe queen this next session at the begining. And I have worked out vicious punishments that will alow them to keep playing but cripple them as well as consequences further and a means to snuff them if they still try to pull boop.

Punishments shall be that the politician will lose his use of speach and understanding of language sporadicaly or permanently. And the Illusionist will be stripped of his cool racial traits as well as every time he uses illusion he will go down a rank. Any thoughts on this?

*edit I say these because the politician likes to talk and the other guy has been so fond of his illusion so I figure Ill make em play but severely tamp down on their fun.

bosssmiley
2009-05-02, 06:17 AM
It's not your story. The players make the story through their choices. No pre-existing plot(or gameworld) ever survives contact with the players, and that is as it should be.
Stress to your problem player that his right to have fun does not trump the rights of the other players to also have fun. Having their characters killed by another PC will (rightly) annoy most players.
In short: solve the out-of-game social dynamics problems within the group, and the game will fix itself.

Cheers

valadil
2009-05-02, 09:11 AM
Kick them out. They're being abusive because they think they can get away with it. Tell them you can't deal with their disruptive playstyle until you're a more experienced GM, so they're going to have to find a game elsewhere whiel you become a more experienced GM.